CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
AMD RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After installing El Capitan 10.11* and any subsequent updates, my IOGear USB Bluetooth dongle refuses to work on any USB port.

I've made sure the USB ports I'm using work with devices in OS X which they do.

I'm not seeing any visible changes via IOReg when connecting and disconnecting the USB dongle.

Is there any other way I can see if it's an OS X problem or if the dongle is broken.

Attached is a copy of IOReg. View attachment Mac-Pro-w-BT.ioreg

I got the same problem. Have you got it fixed? Or have you just bought a new dongle?

droid-mac

I never found a solution to the problem. I suspect the USB dongle may have been fried or just broke.

I tried another dongle though and that didn't work. But I suspect that it may have been using an unsupported bluetooth chip. It was just a generic USB bluetooth dongle rather than specifically an IOGear one listed in the TonyMac Supported Hardware / Monthly buy list.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Ok. It worked for me on El Capitan perfectly untill today. Today the stick did blink but the mouse could not connect. After pulling it out and trying different USB ports the dongle stopped blinking and now bluetooth is not available, the dongle doesn't even show up as a usb device in the system overview. So I assume it is broken. I have ordered a new one for a few bucks (11€ in Germany) and will report back if the new one does work.

I'm no expert on the subject, but it'd be worth trying it on a Windows or Linux machine to rule out that it's not a software issue. You can easily download a LiveUSB version of Linux to test out the USB Bluetooth dongle.

So I have tried it on a windows and linux machine as well. No lights no blinking nothing and it does not even get found as a usb device. So I think that it is safe to assume that the dongle is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back