Contribute
Register

IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter must unplug / plug back in at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I didn't realize I had this issue until today, but my iogear bluetooth adapter doesn't appear to function well until I unplug and replug it back in after boot. Keyboard won't connect and trackpad goes all wonky, but if I unplug and plug it back in, golden and stable. USB 2 and 3 works great—got two drives plugged into atx case usb3 slots backing up right now.

Any idea what's going on here. Its really not a huge problem, but still kinda strange given that its on the buyer's guide.

Wayne

Motherboard
GA-G31M-ES2L rev2.0
CPU
E5200
Graphics
GeForce 9400
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Is this the GBU521? If so, unfortunately I can't help you, but I will say this. I installed El Capitan with a GBU421 in my hack. I had the 521 lying around so I decided to swap them out. Seemed to work fine, but the 521 would not allow me to type in my password after wake from sleep. (If I used another USB keyboard to enter it, then the Apple keyboard would work great - until the next sleep cycle.) So, my point it, the GBU521 seems wiggy in my experience.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had issues withe iogear BT adapter. Lots of mouse stuttering and lagging. I don't think it is as compatible as tonymacx86 states. I have had great success with his one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F85ZPIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Not sure if this problem is your dongle or something more. I had problems when I first upgraded to El Capitan with my BT adapter not connecting at all despite having working USB ports. Only a fresh install solved the issue.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I had issues withe iogear BT adapter. Lots of mouse stuttering and lagging. I don't think it is as compatible as tonymacx86 states. I have had great success with his one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F85ZPIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Not sure if this problem is your dongle or something more. I had problems when I first upgraded to El Capitan with my BT adapter not connecting at all despite having working USB ports. Only a fresh install solved the issue.

If a fresh install fixed your problem, your real issue may have been that your EFI directory's clover.plist had deteriorated over time and the re-install simply started you with a fresh clover.plist.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multibeas...list-deteriorates-across-multiple-usages.html

Motherboard
MSI-Z270i GPro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600k
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's happening to me also with a High Sierra fresh install and a IOGEAR USB bluetooth dongle. It is true the USB is connected to a 2.0 USB Hub. I'll try to connect it to the MOBO directly and expose here the results.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
GeForce 1080 8gb G1
any fixes for this? I'm using it with Sierra and can't use the keyboard connected to this dongle when I boot

Motherboard
MSI-Z270i GPro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600k
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I finally found the solution. Seems like the wifi+bluetooth card integrated into the motherboard was causing problems, so I removed the card from the Hackintosh and the dongle started working properly.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
^ Hmmm that may make sense, as the only rig in which I'm having this problem features a WiFi / Bluetooth card integrated into the motherboard (z87 UD5-TH).

I had bluetooth running of the integrated card in early OS's (mountain lion - el cap), but moved to the IO Gear Dongle when that situation started to get flaky with the Magic Mouse out of nowhere after running Sierra stable for weeks :/

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370-HD3
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
To fix the IoGear USB 4.0 Bluetooth adapter so it worked without unplug/replug after each reboot, I used two kexts from RehabMan's Broadcom Bluetooth patches at: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-brcmpatchram. I added BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to my L/E folder and now Bluetooth is recognized at boot.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hmm those kexts activated my on-board bluetooth, but I was unable to connect to my devices that way.

Interestingly enough, I found that if I turn off the power supply's switch in the back after shutting down, I would be able to boot up with having all my bluetooth devices recognized.

Also, it makes sense that the situation could be more problematic with builds which feature integrated bluetooth / wifi - as I did not experience any connectivity issues when experimenting with another build w/ next-gen motherboard (z97 UD7 TH), which has no on-board bluetooth / wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.