Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
CPU
i7-4790S
Graphics
R9 270x
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been having a problem with my High Sierra system often rebooting randomly on startup, and I've narrowed down the issue to some WiFi kexts I've installed. I'm using a TP-LINK WN951N WiFi card and I checked a thread here on tonymacx86 that mentioned the use of the attached zip of kexts (I installed the IONetworkingFamily IO80211Family kexts) and they seemed to work, allowing my system to detect my WiFi card and connect to WiFi. But the problem is, when I have them installed, I just get reboot after reboot when I try to boot into my Mac OS X disk (when I finally do successfully login I do have WiFi).

This leads me to believe there's something awry in the kexts themselves. The kexts look like they're a bit old for High Sierra. Is there any way for someone to verify that these kexts are compatible with High Sierra? Or is this just a hardware compability issue (the WN951N has an Atheros AR5008 chipset) in which case I would have to purchase a new WiFi card (and why can I connect to the internet right now)? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TP-LINK-WN951N.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 1,662
I've been having a problem with my High Sierra system often rebooting randomly on startup, and I've narrowed down the issue to some WiFi kexts I've installed. I'm using a TP-LINK WN951N WiFi card and I checked a thread here on tonymacx86 that mentioned the use of the attached zip of kexts (I installed the IONetworkingFamily IO80211Family kexts) and they seemed to work, allowing my system to detect my WiFi card and connect to WiFi. But the problem is, when I have them installed, I just get reboot after reboot when I try to boot into my Mac OS X disk (when I finally do successfully login I do have WiFi).

This leads me to believe there's something awry in the kexts themselves. The kexts look like they're a bit old for High Sierra. Is there any way for someone to verify that these kexts are compatible with High Sierra? Or is this just a hardware compability issue (the WN951N has an Atheros AR5008 chipset) in which case I would have to purchase a new WiFi card (and why can I connect to the internet right now)? Thanks in advance.

Do you know the device-id of the wifi card? You can download DPCIManager to get this information, then you can look into the native kext of 10.13 and see if your device -id is located in them, if not you can always use Clover info.plist KextToPatch feature to change a native device-id to your device-id, but this would require knowing what actual kexts gets loaded.

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned:

Do you know the device-id of the wifi card? You can download DPCIManager to get this information

I've just downloaded DPCIManager and I can't seem to find the device id. All I see is a row entitled "Wireless Network Adapted" with no other information. Also, do you happen to know where I could get back the native 10.13 kexts?

Open DPCIManager and click the PCI List tab at the top, the device ids are the second column as show in this screenshot
xDro0kn.png

Hi, i have the same problem :-/ Did you find a way to solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back