Graphics
Radeon HD 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
edited to add TLDR: I had to force power off after waking from sleep failed to load video. Now trying to boot into OS X causes my computer to turn off. Windows 7 still loads fine. OS X disk utility reports that the catalog file has an invalid key length, but it cannot fix the problem. Help?

Hi everyone,

I've been using my hackintosh for about 6 months now with minimal problems. I built it using the iboot+multibeast guide here at Tonymac. I'm using a DSDT (My BIOS version is F8) and sleep has been working fine for the most part. However, occasionally trying to wake from sleep won't cause the display to turn back on. The computer wakes up, but for some reason video fails to start, and I am forced to restart by holding down the power button.

This morning, my computer failed to wake correctly, and so I powered it down by holding the power button. I expected at that point to be able to boot back up without issue, as had been the case when I had previous issues waking from sleep.

I think it is probably worth mentioning at this point that I decided to boot into my Windows 7 partition to get some things done over there before going back into Mac OS X. Windows wanted to check the disk, which I allowed it to do before it booted.

Upon restarting to Mac OS X, I get to the gray Apple logo screen, and noticed a small status bar where usually I see only the spinning loading indicator. The status bar did turn into the spinning indicator a few seconds later, but then the computer abruptly powered down. I tried turning the computer back on several times, only to have it shut off again at the same point.

I attempted to boot into safe mode, and verbose mode, so I could see what was going on. I found that it was trying to check the hard drive before booting, but would fail giving an error when trying to check the catalog file, saying there was an invalid key length.

I used iBoot to boot to my Mac OS X Install DVD to run Disk Utility. Using the utility to verify the disk showed the same error, and said I needed to repair the disk. However, attempts by Disk Utility to repair the disk fail, and it suggest backing up my data and wiping the drive.

My Windows 7 partition appears to be working fine, and I am typing this message from there. However, I cannot figure out how to get back into Mac OS X. Is my only option to try and get my data off that partition and then reinstall? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey Elan,

Did you by any chance figure this problem out? It seems I am having the same exact problem as you. My system was running fine, and then one day I went to turn on my hackintosh and it wouldn't boot. just like you described.

If anyone else has any ideas it would be much appreciated. When running in verbose the last thing it said was
Catalog file
invalid index key

Many thanks in advance,

Spencer

Resurect an old thread.

Have this same problem running 10.8.1 on a Segate Barracuda - after weeks of suffering it seems like any load placed on the drive results in an 'Invalid Key Length' error.

Hardware fault, should I return to Seagate?

I've re-imaged a good OS back onto the drive several times over the last few weeks, problem keeps rearing its head.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back