Contribute
Register

Internal SATA SSD and NVME not detected when installing High Sierra from bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I tried to install High Sierra following the guide provided in the Installation Guide. Configured motherboard bios according Sierra installation. When installing High Sierra from USB none of SSDs detected in Disk Utility. However, when I created older version - Sierra installation USB, then only sata SSD displayed in Disk Utility, but not m.2. My goal is to install High Sierra.

Please advise. Thank you for support!
Yan

This is my first hackinotsh build.
Parts:
Motherboard: Asus Rog Stix Z270I
CPU: Intel i7-7700K
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME - M.2
Second storage: Sata PNY SSD 480 GB CS1311
Ram G.SKILL TridentZ 16 GB
Cooler: Zalman CPU Fan Cooler CNPS2X

Right the NVME wouldn't be detected by the Sierra installer without all the patches (RehabMan's work).

If the High Sierra installer can't see either SSD then I think something is misconfigured with the install. Folks report the 960 is seen natively. I'm on a Plextor which requires a config.plist patch (0x10->0x01) in IONVMeFamily.kext, but you should be good there.

The fact Sierra sees your non-NVME SSD while High Sierra doesn't seems like it must be a BIOS issue. If your motherboard has two m.2 slots, try moving the NVME to the other slot; folks report support for only one slot on some motherboards. You're on a new series board, maybe look in the forums for folks on similar hardware.

If you boot the High Sierra installer with just the sata ssd does the installer see that ssd? Could the existence of the m.2 be hiding the sata ssd? Sorry I don't have more info to help. Might also be interesting to boot the installer with just the m.2 connected to see if anything changes.

Thank you for the info aol. I have tried booting with presence and absence of all combinations of sata and nvme ssd, High Sierra installer Disk Utility and none of the ssds are detected. Is there anything else in bois that I need to set in order to detect ssd? I have already made bios changes according to the Sierra build.
Thank You

Hello everyone,

I tried to install High Sierra following the guide provided in the Installation Guide. Configured motherboard bios according Sierra installation. When installing High Sierra from USB none of SSDs detected in Disk Utility. However, when I created older version - Sierra installation USB, then only sata SSD displayed in Disk Utility, but not m.2. My goal is to install High Sierra.

Please advise. Thank you for support!
Yan

This is my first hackinotsh build.
Parts:
Motherboard: Asus Rog Stix Z270I
CPU: Intel i7-7700K
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME - M.2
Second storage: Sata PNY SSD 480 GB CS1311
Ram G.SKILL TridentZ 16 GB
Cooler: Zalman CPU Fan Cooler CNPS2X

Make sure SATA mode in BIOS is AHCI.

I am trying to Install High Sierra and it is not detecting my Samsung 850 SSD evo drive. I see it in BIOS and have searched a lot looking for answers. Have double checked settings and am having no luck. Please help!!!

@swift1013, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

My understanding is that High Sierra shipped with a bug where disk utility doesn't detect uninitialized drives. If your BIOS has SATA set in AHCI mode, maybe try pulling the drive out and manually initializing it in any other computer. If the drive is initialized and you're still having an issue, might be an issue with legacy hardware.

Hi, I have a Gigabye Z370 HD3P together with a Samsung 960 Pro 512 GiB and got the same problem.
But the solution is quite simple. Open the Terminal from and use "diskutil list". Search for your drive and note the /dev/diskX. Now you know the identifier and you can format your drive within the terminal by typing "diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ MyNVME /dev/diskX". After doing this, you can see it within the diskutility and format it to APFS or whatever.

Trying a fresh install with a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO M.2.

I can see my device with `diskutil list` or `diskutil info`, but I get a `Bus Error: 10` if I try to `diskutil eraseDisk`.

-bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: 1.0 TB disk0

-bash-3.2# diskutil info disk0
Device Identifier: disk 0
File System: None

Content (IOContent): None
OS Can Be Installed: No
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: PCI-Express

-bash-3.2# diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ FOO /dev/disk0
Bus error: 10

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Disk does not show up in the GUI Disk Utility, only the CLI diskutil.

EDIT x2:

I just popped in another SSD into my little toaster dock on a whim, and suddenly I see the M.2 in Disk Utility (as Uninitialized), but if I try to "Erase" it, Disk Utility quits out.

EDIT x3:

I popped in a drive that had Windows 10 on it, and it started right up. Initialized the drive and created a ExFat partition on it, and I was able to see it the next time I booted into the High Sierra Installer!

Last edited:
Trying a fresh install with a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO M.2.

I can see my device with `diskutil list` or `diskutil info`, but I get a `Bus Error: 10` if I try to `diskutil eraseDisk`.

-bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: 1.0 TB disk0

-bash-3.2# diskutil info disk0
Device Identifier: disk 0
File System: None

Content (IOContent): None
OS Can Be Installed: No
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: PCI-Express

-bash-3.2# diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ FOO /dev/disk0
Bus error: 10

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Disk does not show up in the GUI Disk Utility, only the CLI diskutil.

EDIT x2:

I just popped in another SSD into my little toaster dock on a whim, and suddenly I see the M.2 in Disk Utility (as Uninitialized), but if I try to "Erase" it, Disk Utility quits out.
Try this on Terminal :

diskutiil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 GPT JHFS+ HiSierraSamsungNVMe 0b [# if you want JHFS+ filesystem or use APFS if that is what you want and want to rename the partitioned and formatted disk as "HiSierraSamsungNVMe" or any name you want to call it substituted,; ob if you want to use the whole unallocated space after partition of the disk for your High Sierra system ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back