Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z170 HD3
CPU
Intel i5 6400
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme Gaming
Hi guys,

Please let me know if this post should be elsewhere. I have an older macbook pro with a dead logic board. I would like to salvage the HDD and keep it as a backup of the data. Is it possible to just remove the drive and put it in an external housing and boot from it, or access it in any way? Do I need a specific housing etc? I had a Zalman ve350 that I dropped it into, but while I can see it in disk utility, it won't mount or boot. Any tips or advice would be great!

Thanks guys!

You will need a bootloader attached to it and some other files. You can not just "boot" off your Apple Hard drive.

Thanks @lieder1987
Do you know if it's possible to setup the bootloaders etc into a virtual box? I haven't had to boot from an old internal HDD before (obviously). I've been googling around, but all I keep coming up with is installing onto externals and booting, not removing an internal and then booting from it externally.

I guess if you have another machine then you could setup a virtual box and have it see the drive (possibly). Then you wouldnt need a boot loader or anything.

There are also windows machines that allow you to read the OSX written files so if you had the drive plugged in you might be able to see them. I use Paragon+ to do this and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back