CPU
Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, since updating to 10.9.3 I noticed a weird problem.

A week ago one of my internal HDDs (I have SSD for OS and then 4 internals) suddenly became near unresponsive. It would take several minutes for the system to show the login (I suspect because the drive was struggling to mount) and then one logged in if I selected the drive it would sit for like 30 secs before showing any files. I replaced the drive thinking it was going bad. Now I am having the exact same issue on another drive.

Can anyone offer advice on what I can possibly do or check? It seems really unlikely that 2 drives would have the same issue a week apart.

Thanks.

So, since updating to 10.9.3 I noticed a weird problem.

A week ago one of my internal HDDs (I have SSD for OS and then 4 internals) suddenly became near unresponsive. It would take several minutes for the system to show the login (I suspect because the drive was struggling to mount) and then one logged in if I selected the drive it would sit for like 30 secs before showing any files. I replaced the drive thinking it was going bad. Now I am having the exact same issue on another drive.

Can anyone offer advice on what I can possibly do or check? It seems really unlikely that 2 drives would have the same issue a week apart.

Thanks.

Did you buy the internal HDD's together ? If so its possible they came from the same batch...

Yeah it looks like I bought three Seagates all at same time from Amazon back in June of 2013. My gawd. What are the odds.

Is there anything else that could be causing Mavericks to read/write dog slow?

Yeah it looks like I bought three Seagates all at same time from Amazon back in June of 2013. My gawd. What are the odds.

Is there anything else that could be causing Mavericks to read/write dog slow?

Well you could start with the system logs and see what is identified in there. They can be a goldmine of information in trouble-shooting.

If you are sure it is the disk that is faulty, then consider your recovery options of course. I hear Spinrite is supposed to be quite good and works at a fairly low level, although I have not used it myself.

You should also consider that the other drives you bought at the same time may suffer the same fate, so time to do some backups maybe.....

If you have another machine available, you could test them out in that machine, which could rule out some possible reasons for failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back