Contribute
Register

Intermittent freezes/restarts with ASUS H61 motherboard. PCI Firewire card related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
i5
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!

I recently upgraded my hardware and am having some frustrating intermittent freezes with El Capitan. I installed on a previous build, used Multibeast, and have since upgraded hardware. I ran Multibeast DSDT-free and installed the normal kexts, nothing fancy, and everything works great, however: about once a day or so, I get a reboot or a full freeze. It doesn't seem to be a kernel panic, just a freeze! Super annoying. I think it may have something to do with my PCI LSI/Lucent Firewire card (and the attached Firestudio Project audio interface), as the reboots don't seem to happen if nothing is plugged into Firewire. It's perplexing. Things I've tried:

* Disabling HPET in UEFI BIOS
* Upgrading BIOS
* Using NVIDIA web drivers
* dart=0 boot flag in Clover

And nothing seems to fix the problem. Currently I'm running a build with a DSDT edit I made myself with iASL (using the generic patches) and using the "Fix Firewire" DSDT flag in Clover, but I'm really just waiting for it to crash again. Running out of ideas here... It's a small motherboard, and the only accessible PCIe 1x slot is used by my wifi card, so I couldn't even upgrade to a new PCIe Firewire card if I wanted to... I guess my next move would be to buy a new motherboard and PCIe Firewire card? Seems like a big jump...

Here are my specs:

* 10.11.5, installed with Multibeast/UEFI Clover with no extra kexts
* ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0
* i3 3240
* NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti
* LSI/Lucent Firewire 400 card (PCI)
* TP-LINK WDN4800 (PCIe 1x)

Really looking for any tips here. Does this sound like something that could be fixed with more DSDT tweaking (and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction)? Or can someone suggest a good move that would prevent buying a whole new build to fix this stability issue?

Thanks!
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back