Contribute
Register

Intermittent Display on Startup - No Display / Graphics Card not Receiving Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z170-MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
GTX 970
I'm a first time Hackintosh builder, and my computer is up and running with the exception of one remaining issue.

When I push the power button on the case, about 50% of the time everything works fine. I see the fans on the graphics card kicking in, the Gigabyte boot menu displays on the monitor, and then MacOS continues to load as normal. I log in and everything is fine.

The other 50% of the time when I hit the power button, I can see that the graphics card is not getting power (at least I assume it's not getting power because the fans don't spin) and nothing displays. The CPU is running, the motherboard's lights are on and blinking, but there is no display. I've even had one instance where it looked like the graphics card fans were trying to spin, but couldn't kick over. When the display fails, I hold the power button, shut down the computer, and attempt to restart. Typically after doing a hard power down, the computer will turn back on, graphics card fans will start spinning, and the display will work.

From what I've read on the forums, this sounds different from the "Black Screen on Startup" issue because when I turn the computer on, I don't even see the boot menu displayed. It appears that the computer turns on, but there is no display whatsoever.

The frustrating part of this is that 50% of the time everything works great. I haven't had any issues once inside MacOS. My graphics card is accelerated and displaying properly, sound works, internet works, and everything runs great. It just kills me to do a hard power down every other time I want to turn the computer on because there is no display.

Below are my components (mostly taken from the Nov Build Guide):

CPU: I5 6600k
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
Ram: 16 GB Crucial Ballistic Sport LT
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0
PSU: Corsair CS 550
SSD: 500 GB 850 EVO
Case: Thermaltake Core V21
Wifi: TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

My BIOS is set up as recommended in the installation guide with the exception of CFG-Lock. I could not find that setting in the BIOS, so I haven't changed it. Everything else is setup per the BIOS recommendations.

Hopefully I'm missing something simple. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

UPDATE

After doing some research related to this motherboard, I came across this article... https://hardforum.com/threads/z170-boot-issues.1881141/page-2

The user Samuel Morris describes a situation where he believed a faulty DisplayPort cable was screwing with the PCI Bus. Long story short, I replaced my DisplayPort Cable and haven't been able to recreate the issue since.

This fix doesn't totally make sense to me, but hopefully it continues working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back