Contribute
Register

Intermittent 5ghz WiFi connectivity issue on wake from sleep (10.11.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97I AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First off let me say thank you again to this great community of hackintosh enthusiasts. Without your dedication and support it would be very hard setup these machines. I usually only post when reporting issues, so I'd like to take this opening paragraph to show my appreciation to the great effort that goes into answering these forum posts.

Now onto the problem. I recently updated to 10.11.4 and in the process updated my wireless half-mini, FakePCIID, and BrcmPatchRAM to their respective latest versions (master on 3/25/16). I've noticed since the update that when my computer wakes from sleep, the 5ghz network on my router will sometimes stop working. I've had no trouble with the 2.5ghz network. The SSID of the network broadcasts correctly and I can "connect" to the network, however I won't be issued an ip address and the router isn't reachable (I can't ping or navigate to the ip of the router). I'm using the AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB and for more details about my setup here's a link to my setup with specific versions of all hardware and installed kexts. I have run and re-run toleda's wireless half-mini command (110-v4.0c latest master) with option 2 (Handoff/BCM94352/US-FCC).

My router is a comcast business router, and I know that I can connect to the 5ghz network from other devices while my computer is struggling so it's most likely my computer and not the router. That said I'm not ruling the router out completely, though it's most likely not the problem. On the router there are options for n-only or a/n on the 5ghz network. The router is a US based router and the available channels are 40, 48, 153, 161. Currently I have the channel manually set to 48 with no automatic switching. I've tried using automatic channel switching and the problem seems to be more pronounced when automatic channel switching is enabled. I've also noticed that when automatic channel switching is enabled that sometimes the problem will occur, and then later fix itself.

Here's the output of the Wi-Fi section from System Information program. When the wifi isn't working, the tab still displays the correct information. I've tried to isolate a specific channel on the 5ghz network that might be causing problems but can't seem to isolate any channel specifically. I have it set to channel 48 right now, and while the wifi is currently working, there was a period earlier today that the issue occurred, however later fixed itself. Manually choosing a channel seems to limit the problem.

I'm looking for any guidance on how to debug the issue and possibly find a long term fix.

Interfaces:
en2:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x2123)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.95.175.1a6)
MAC Address: 40:e2:30:42:10:93
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
AirDrop: Supported, Channel 149
Current Network Information:
Home Wifi Network:
PHY Mode: 802.11n
BSSID: 74:85:2a:94:06:30
Channel: 48,-1
Country Code: US
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
Signal / Noise: -78 dBm / -86 dBm
Transmit Rate: 81
MCS Index: 10

Here's what my S/L/E looks like wrt the FakePCIID and BrcmPatch kexts

/System/Library/Extensions $ ls -l | grep -E '(Fake)|(Brcm)'
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 23 14:00 BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 23 14:00 BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 23 13:55 FakePCIID.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 23 13:55 FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

WiFi is non-functional again. Switched back to the 2.5ghz network. Here are some screenshots Screenshot 2016-03-26 15.07.27.pngScreenshot 2016-03-26 15.07.32.pngScreenshot 2016-03-26 15.13.29.png

Disable "Wake for network access" in SysPrefs->Energy Saver.

Will give that a try. Out of curiosity, why is this the solution?

No idea why. But that option seems to cause problems after sleep with BCM94352HMB.

It is not really surprising that certain things the drivers might do, might be incompatible. The device is not natively supported after all...

Yea not surprised. What's curious is that on the previous versions of these kexts the wifi worked flawlessly. Seems like this option doesn't fix the issue 100%. I will note that running

sudo ifconfig en[num] down && sudo ifconfig en[num] up

does seem to fix the problem. I wonder if reverting to an older version of the kexts is the best option, unfortunately I don't remember the exact versions. Is there any way to debug whether the latest OSX update or changes in the kexts are the culprits?

Yea not surprised. What's curious is that on the previous versions of these kexts the wifi worked flawlessly. Seems like this option doesn't fix the issue 100%. I will note that running

sudo ifconfig en[num] down && sudo ifconfig en[num] up

does seem to fix the problem. I wonder if reverting to an older version of the kexts is the best option, unfortunately I don't remember the exact versions. Is there any way to debug whether the latest OSX update or changes in the kexts are the culprits?

No idea... I have BCM94352HMB in two different computers and have no issue after sleep with that option disabled. I should note however, the ACPI setup on these two machines is as good as I can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back