Contribute
Register

Interested in putting OS X on my PC; will my current hardware be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 8.1 x64
CPU
i5-4690 @3.50GHz
Graphics
HD7970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I'm thinking of hijacking a roommates Mac Book Pro tonight to create a Unibeast drive. It's my very first build so I don't really know what I'm doing. But I have been reading a lot about it so I'm going to try. Will my hardware be compatible and if so; will it run Yosemite smoothly?

My Hardware:

Computer: Custom build (did it myself)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Processor: Intel i5-4690
Graphics: AMD 7xxx HD
RAM: 8GB of DD3 @1600
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5

Does anyone here have any experience with a comparable build and if so could you maybe inform me of any problems I might run into or how you solved them.

Thank you in advance!

Your CPU and Motherboard are perfect. The gfx card should work if it is a 7970. You can do the install
with integrated HD4600 gfx first, run multibeast and then try adding the card later if you do have
any problems initially.

Thanks so much for your response!

So, did you run into any trouble during installation and how much of your free time is spent on keeping it stable?

Thanks so much for your response!

So, did you run into any trouble during installation and how much of your free time is spent on keeping it stable?

If your ram is compatible and PSU is Haswell compatible should have no problems with
freezing. The only thing that takes time and care is when you update. So make sure to
always have a bootable clone of your working OS X install ready if you ever need it. Use
Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for that.

Follow the directions in this User Build http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-i7-4790-gtx-770-16gb-yosemite-10-10-1-a.html for bios setup and multibeast choices.

Also make sure you have your Windows drive completely disconnected (sata cable) when you do
the OS X install on a separate SSD hopefully.

I tend to have nothing on my computer really. Just the OS and some small programs because I was planning to do this. All files, media en backups live on my parents NAS; so that won't be a problem. I've come prepared.

I have no real desire to update until El Capitan so when that bridge comes; I'll keep those solutions in mind.

Will check further compatibility; looking for the boxes of my PSU and RAM now ;)

EDIT: btw, my graphics card is 7970, so I think it'll work out

If your ram is compatible and PSU is Haswell compatible should have no problems with
freezing. The only thing that takes time and care is when you update. So make sure to
always have a bootable clone of your working OS X install ready if you ever need it. Use
Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for that.

Follow the directions in this User Build http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-i7-4790-gtx-770-16gb-yosemite-10-10-1-a.html for bios setup and multibeast choices.

Also make sure you have your Windows drive completely disconnected (sata cable) when you do
the OS X install on a separate SSD hopefully.

Turned out to be a piece of cake!
Everything is up and running and seems very stable.

Can I update within the same OS because there is one Yosemite update waiting; or is that ill advised?

Turned out to be a piece of cake!
Everything is up and running and seems very stable.

Can I update within the same OS because there is one Yosemite update waiting; or is that ill advised?

It's always safest to use the combo update and then reinstall audio and Lan kexts from Multibeast.
If you update through software update it may work too as some have reported. I always just use
the combo update out of habit. Are you using Clover or Chimera ?

It's always safest to use the combo update and then reinstall audio and Lan kexts from Multibeast.
If you update through software update it may work too as some have reported. I always just use
the combo update out of habit. Are you using Clover or Chimera ?

I am using Chimera.

Could you please elaborate this combo update? My knowledge pretty much ends at this stage, haha. Thanks!

I am using Chimera.

Could you please elaborate this combo update? My knowledge pretty much ends at this stage, haha. Thanks!

Download it here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804?locale=en_US or use the closest
server to where you are if not in the US.

Double click to open the DMG and follow the steps. Reboot and then run
the latest Multibeast to reinstall audio and Lan kexts for your specific system.
Repair permissions and you should have it all working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back