GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

Since I was very busy for too long, I was off from this forum for almost 2 yrs. Now I'm back even still a little bit busy with regular works. I hope everybody is doing great, especially eelhead, minihack, and Gus. I used to talk to eelhead a lot while I was trying make my first build with mac pro case. His advices were very useful at that time and were the important keys to make me success. Also thanks for minihack's advices gave to me periodically. Gus used to help me with his front panel cable for my G5 case even I finally decided to go with mac pro case instead. Thanks a lot both of you guys.

I read the G4 Cube mod and was very impressed by many awesome works from many guru as follows;
(apologize for other works did not mentioned here since I can't read every posts)

- eelhead(11/22/11)===>GA-H67N
- neilhart(12/06/11)===>Intel DH61AG
- 61mg73(12/19/11)===>
GA-H67N
- sgrinalds(01/21/12)===>
GA-H67N
- sleppek(04/30/12)===>
GA-H67N
- BoomR(07/05/12)===>AsRock-H77M
- minihack(07/24/12)===>Zotac-ITX
- chaosdesigns(10/02/12)===>Intel DH61AG

very exquisite works. :clap::clap::clap:

For me, I'm not a good skills guy but still want to do the hard task for G4 cube like you guys :p.
Which board in your opinion that can be done easily for a beginner like me?.(i3 or i5 with HD Graphic)
Any advices are welcome.

Thanks,
kmmm.

PS. I also wonder about when I log in to this forum, my first page is shown the last thread but when I didn't log in the first page shown the first thread which I thought it is correct. Why???.

Any advices are welcome. ...

Well I am fond of the the i3-2125 and DH61AG combination, however my new recommendation would be the i3-3225 and the DQ77KB (see my new project thread) and attempting the minihack's passive cooling using the original heat sink and a bridge block from the CPU.

And welcome back to the forum.

neil

Hi kmmm welcome back,

I would agree with neilhart as that board is also a slim and gives you more leeway for how ever you want to cool it.
Also as you can see with his testing that you can get ML on it as well.

The board I have you cannot really get and I don't like it as the memory is right up against the power button touch sensor making it have no working room what so ever.

So all in all the best board IMO is a slim one and Intel has 2 you can easily get, Gigabyte has one coming out soon but I am unsure if it will be readily available to the general public :(

As for your logging in or out and seeing the threads I am unsure what that is, start with deleting your history and cookies on your browser and see what happens then.

My G4 Cube mod was very straightforward using the Intel board (except for a stupid noob mistake of using the USB 3.0 ports to install with) and I would recommend it because you do not need to worry at all about including some sort of power supply. Right now my mod is not yet complete, but with only two 40mm fans at the top, heat is not an issue. The drawback is that it is only a dual core Sandy Bridge build, and you may want more power. Neil is working on a very similar Intel Ivy Bridge build right now which would lend itself nicely to an updated cube build. It may become the new cube standard.

Thank you all. I'm very positive that the intel board will not have an issues at all after read neilhart's latest project. I'll go with that board + i3 cause I don't need much more power.

kmmm.:)

Hi Kmmm and welcome back too!

Just adding my +1 to the recommendations. The least stress build will be with the Intel board as it is slimline and has on board power which means you can get a lot more natural airflow in there without too much work.

The passive cooling option is a nice one, but it does need you to drill and tap (thread) the heatsink and get measurements exactly right. I think it is a good mod., because if you do get it right then it just needs one fan at the bottom on low speed to blow all the heat out of the Cube from the bottom to the top - but it is not the easiest mod. The easier way is to use a slimline CPU cooler and I think some mod.s do manage that very well and can still be very quiet.

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to reading about how you get on.

minihack, thanks for your useful info about cooling system. Tell you the truth, I just start thinking about that mod but still have a lot of lacks about the appropriate components that will be fitted inside G4 Cube :p. It seems like I'm going with slimline CPU cooler by your suggestion. I'll read more about that.

Yesterday, I've got my G4 Cube locally, in CO. OMG this is the beautifully engineered computer I ever had in my life. I fall in love with it definitely. I'm so impressed on both Cube and screen touch sensor, never see something like that before. IMO, this still looks classic until now.

So my plan is I'm gonna stick with Cube for a while, adding more ram, trying to reinstall leopard, and enjoy before put them into my collection :). I probably get another one for mod later.

Noom.

PS. eelhead, I solved the problem of page 1 shown the last thread. It's because I didn't set it right in my account setting :p. Now I did and page 1 show the first thread already (it was set as page 1 show the last thread previously).

one of the main reasons for me choosing the ASrock was the space between the outermost Memory slot & the edge of the motherboard itself. Plenty of space for RAM plus a little wiggle room if you also want to enable the Cube's touch power switch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back