Contribute
Register

Intel's 8th Generation Coffee Lake CPUs Natively Recognized by macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting to know. I'm not quite getting the high performance you're experiencing with my Coffee Lake system.

I'm running an i5-8400 Coffee Lake Processor + ASROCK Z370M Pro4 MoBo + GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Gaming 2 GB (not using integrated graphics) and get sluggish performance in the Hackintosh side (great performance under Windows).

In particular, Final Cut Pro X performance is atrocious with my config, running High Sierra 10.13.1

The sluggishness of your build concerns me. Has this problem been resolved in 10.13.2 for you? Especially Final Cut Pro X. How about your Kaby Lake build, how does Final Cut Pro do in that? FYI, I haven't built my system yet, still deciding to go with Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake parts.

this is so exciting... I need more power for smoother 4k editing in fcpx... could somebody explain the 'real world' difference between the i5 and i7 version of the CPU especially when working in fcpx ...render time matter as I often have up to 3 h long videos to export... will the i7 be that much faster? thanks.

edit: nevermind I think I will have to go with the i7 for video editing... thx

Last edited:
SUCCESS: I've just upgraded my build with an 8700k with UHD630 running a High Sierra 10.13.2. Everything runs smoothly so far and NO SPOOFING was required, apparently it has some sort of support! Will open later some high performance softwares and will get back here.

I had 10.13.2 already installed, so this was only an upgrade from 7700k & HD630 to 8700k & UHD630

Ran Geekbench and scored SC 5920 and MC 27385. I had SC around 5800s and MC around 21000s previously
What did you do to get higher GeekBench score? Just update to 10.13.2? Or did you mean it went up when switched CPU? I'm asking because I'm in 10.13.1 with an 8700k overclocked to 5.0, and I only get like 23000 on GeekBench for some reason.

The sluggishness of your build concerns me. Has this problem been resolved in 10.13.2 for you? Especially Final Cut Pro X. How about your Kaby Lake build, how does Final Cut Pro do in that? FYI, I haven't built my system yet, still deciding to go with Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake parts.

Okay, here is what I think about Final Cut Pro X performance, first making the disclaimer that I am no expert in either FCP or Hackintosh stuff. Just basic knowledge, that's all.

When I built my system, I built it for Windows only. I selected newish technology not yet supported by Hackintosh guides.

I tried installing macOS 10.13 but I couldn't get things to work properly, so I abandoned that project.

Recently, Apple started supporting Coffee Lake processors and things seem to work well with my 300-Series motherboard, so I tried again, this time using a 10.13.1 installer.

I got a Gigabyte NVIDIA 1050 2GB video card. The whole install process went smoothly.

The system ran great. It was fast and stable. No complaints — until I installed Final Cut Pro X.

The performance of FCPX was deplorable. Totally Unusable. Playback of clips and timelines, even optimized clips, was horrible. Nothing played back smoothly. Not even 720p clips. Nevermind 1080 or higher.

So I returned that card and tried with another Nvidia 1050, but now with 4GB. There was absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

After further research, I found that it was not a lack of memory in the GPU issue. It was the type of GPU.

FCPX is written to take advantage of hardware acceleration, but specifically from AMD GPUs.

So I went ahead and replaced the NVIDIA card with an AMD and WOW! The performance improvements were immediate.

I was able to playback 4K clips and timelines with absolutely NO sluggishness. Smooth as butter. All with the original 1080 clips with no optimization.

BruceX_Test went from around 150 seconds to 61 seconds on the first try. Then, after further tweaks to the system, eliminating unnecessary kexts and properly setting up the config.plist's Graphics section, It went down to 32 seconds.

Sure, the new AMD card has 8GB. And I'm sure that helps. But everything I read pointed to AMD being the right card to use when running FCPX. No other way around it.

The bonus is that you won't have to deal with the NVIDIA drivers dance. My AMD card was supported natively by Apple, without me having to install any third-party drivers.

So, that's my take, based on my experience with my system. Results for others may be different. I can only speak about my own system and my own experience with it.

Good luck.

...So I went ahead and replaced the NVIDIA card with an AMD and WOW! The performance improvements were immediate...

Hello Ocazus and thanks for the great news. Would you please be so kind and tell what model of AMD card did you buy?

Thx a TON in advance!

Fuz!

My build is working! I will post something in the user builds, but so far, its been a pretty simple thing.

I understand 8th gen Intel CPU are natively recognized by HS (10.13). What about Sierra (10.12)? Is it the same or not?

Best,
-a-

Really? Just installed 10.13.1 yesterday but the "About This Mac" page still shows "Unknown"...

Even did SSDT and was going to mess around with Clover settings to get the info displayed. Any help?

i7 8700k
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Geforce GTX 1070 Ti
32GB

Clover on EFI

Thanks!

Hello,
Would you write some guidelines on how you did ?
I'm stuck with impossible to boot on Z370-Gaming 7 and 8700K w/ 32GB RAM and GTX 1060-6GB
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back