RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
83b.jpg
Tech Powerup revealed that Intel's next-gen Thunderbolt technology named "Alpine Ridge" will pack a punch when it comes to versatility, if the specs remain unchanged. It will launch sometime in 2015 along with Intel's Core "Skylake" CPUs.

Thunderbolt 2 currently supports up to 20 Gbps of data speed while the next-gen Thunderbolt is supposed to offer double the speed at 40 Gbps. The link will also carry DisplayPort, HDMI 2.0, and USB 3.0 data.

The connector will also change and will slimmer than the current connector. Despite the reduction in size, it should allow up to 100W of power, allowing charging and usage without a DC jack for power which is how laptops are currently powered; especially as the Thermal Design Power of CPUs keeps lowering with newer generation CPU designs.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/200064/next-gen-intel-alpine-ridge-thunderbolt-controller-detailed.html

Intel’s 40 Gbps “Alpine Ridge” Thunderbolt Coming in 2015

That is pretty cool! Imagine when we can have laptops with one single kind of connector for power, data, display and maybe also sound. I've always found it frustrating that there are so many different kinds of connector, just look at gpu's, they come with 3-4 different display outputs, i mean c'mon make a standard that everyone will follow so we only need 1. :)

Intel’s 40 Gbps “Alpine Ridge” Thunderbolt Coming in 2015

Yes apparently it can supply up to 100w of power, meaning you wouldn't need to use the round a/c plug to power it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back