Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
I am on a verge of pulling the trigger and getting a Z390/i9-9900 combo since it is proven to work well. But, there is the Comet Lake and Z490 just around the corner, release presumably in May'2020. I see that the new MacBooks use the 10th gen cpus, but they are Ice Lake. Any idea if Comet Lake 10th gen CPUs will work in hackintosh machines without issues? Any rumors about Apple going Comet Lake direction at all? I know I know, the hardware is not out yet, but why not throw some thoughts in here? I know lots of us are just dying to know the future.

I am on verge of pulling the trigger and get Z390/i9-9900 combo since it is proven to work well. But..... there is the Comet Lake and Z490 just around the corner, release presumably in May 2020. I see that the new Macbooks use the 10th gen cpus, but they are Ice Lake. Any idea if Comet Lake 10th gen CPUs will work in hackintosh machines without issues? Any rumors about Apple going Comet Lake direction at all? I know I know, the hardware is not out yet, but why not throw some thoughts in here? I know lots of us are just dying to know the future.

How would any of us know its compatibility with current MacOS without hardware to test on?

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6 has been proven to work with 9th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards.

If I had to guess, if the new hardware does not deviate significantly from the current 9th generation (which seems to be likely as Comet Lake is also based on 14nm instead of 10nm), then there is a reasonable chance it will work with current (and maybe even older) MacOS.

If I were you, I would go for the proven hardware instead of unknown hardware if I need to run MacOS. I don't need to face possible extra problems introduced by the brand new hardware.

Hi there,
Anybody has some news?

I have purchased Z490 + 10700K, and I will get it on 5.23, maybe I can test it
Please do. Here in China there's a "Black Friday-ish" thing on 18th June. I'm having trouble deciding wether to buy a Coffee Lake or Comet Lake.

Maybe you need to wait for the opencore bootloader update, and kext driver update
The I've saw the thread you mentioned, which is the main reason that keeps me from buying 10700k. After all, the price of this two CPUs are not so diifierent. So, please tell me wether it works. By the way, what motherboard did you purchase?

Last edited:
I have a 10900K / Z490 rig up and running on Windows 10. I tried to boot my existing Z270 based Mojave install off it's SSD but no luck. I might have to wipe and try again once we know what tweaks Z490 needs.

I have a 10900K / Z490 rig up and running on Windows 10. I tried to boot my existing Z270 based Mojave install off it's SSD but no luck. I might have to wipe and try again once we know what tweaks Z490 needs.
Please do. I wanna know!

MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK + I7 10700K,AMD RX590, The z490 and z390 have not changed much, just the wireless and onboard CARDS. I think apple will unveil an imac with an 10th processor at this year's developer conference
How did it go?

Won't change anything. Doesn't matter which motherboard you choose. @xiaoviejiang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back