Contribute
Register

Intel WiFi Driver Effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody in 2013 got their Intel Centrino Adavanced 6205 N WiFi working with H0rNDIS. It was on this forum, but he got no replies. I do not have a Droid to test it with, but theoretically, and if his method works, it could be enabled without the use of a phone. I cannot tell if he is using his phone's wifi or actually using Intel's WiFi, but I thought it was worth showing you.

Source:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...rds-like-intel-centrino-adavanced-6205-n.html

Somebody in 2013 got their Intel Centrino Adavanced 6205 N WiFi working with H0rNDIS. It was on this forum, but he got no replies. I do not have a Droid to test it with, but theoretically, and if his method works, it could be enabled without the use of a phone. I cannot tell if he is using his phone's wifi or actually using Intel's WiFi, but I thought it was worth showing you.

Source:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...rds-like-intel-centrino-adavanced-6205-n.html

It is not using the Intel WiFi. It is using the WiFi capability in the phone via USB tethering. The actual WiFi chip in the laptop remains unused in this scenario.

i have this error ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 14.37.57 copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 14.37.57 copy.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 863
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 14.41.12.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 14.41.12.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 752
I am confused, wouldn't the driver be easier to port out of a bsdish distro like the iwm(4) included in current versions of freebsd vs porting to mac os (bsdish) from linux?

Possibly.

But when I looked for a current FreeBSD driver, I didn't find one (nor here).

Now that you confirm that one exists, I see this, which is at least a good reference. I'm not sure if there's code in FreeBSD itself. Anyway, that one I found appears to be a port from the Linux 3.x drivers, and would need at last some kind of update to work with the 8000-series hardware. It's also somewhat reorganized vs. the original Linux code, which would make identifying the differences a challenge.

But part of my motivation was to learn more about the Linux drivers, so I'm not sure I wouldn't have started there anyway.

I am confused, wouldn't the driver be easier to port out of a bsdish distro like the iwm(4) included in current versions of freebsd vs porting to mac os (bsdish) from linux?

I don't think it matters. OS X uses its own driver model (IOKit).

Ahh, got it -- I thought the osx drivers were just bsd drivers with an iokit wrapper. If they are rewrites I guess id does not make it any easier to port from the bsd side vs linux. Anyways, I wish you luck -- seems like a pretty ambitious project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back