Contribute
Register

Intel WiFi Driver Effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
You put in the screen shot from Terminal.app (or something similar). But Console.app is different -- it's a log file viewer. It's in /Applications/Utilities If you run that and search it for AppleIntelWiFi there should (hopefully) be some more detailed messages on why the kext isn't loading.

All -- hold up on the testing for now. I've discovered a bug that may crash your system, depending on the pre-existing state of the memory that the driver is given to use. Sigh. I'll put a new build up later and post again.

Well make sure to keep updated! This is a game-changing event in the portable Hackintosh field.

OK, updated release that should avoid the memory allocation problem:

https://github.com/ammulder/AppleIntelWiFiMVM/releases

Don't hold your breath on this effort -- it'll only be game-changing if I make it to the finish line, and there's a huge amount of driver-specific code and generic 802.11 code between here and there. :)

I have a ThinkPad W530 with Centrino Ultimate 6300 Wireless.

I'd like to provide testing help(even though this card isn't currently on the supported list)

I have a ThinkPad W530 with Centrino Ultimate 6300 Wireless.

I'd like to provide testing help(even though this card isn't currently on the supported list)

My plan is to first work on the models with the MVM firmware, and yours has DVM firmware:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

That said, it seems like the firmware support is a relatively small part of the effort, so if the project does go all the way, as a proportion of the overall effort it won't be that much harder to add DVM support as well. Someone else could even work on that part in parallel, perhaps.

On the other hand, you may have a new laptop by the time the driver is working, so you may be able to fix it that way. :)

I just broke my Hackbook Pro (unrelated to your work), so I'll have to redo that. Whoops. But I'll be testing your kext again soon! Have you discovered if it is possible to discover networks yet?

Happy to see that someone is attacking this issue.

I would help myself but i'm not the best with code, doubt I could have wired something like this together... Screwing with the DSDT was enough of a challenge for me.

Please find attached my dmesg.log, if there is any other information I can provide please let me know.

The kext appears to load from /S/L/E after being installed with KextDrop and doesn't cause any issue for my system loading the debug version of the Kext built with Xcode 7.2.1 against the maxosx10.11 sdk.

If there is anything I can do to help with the progress of this driver, just ask (keeping in mind my skill-set would be limited in comparison to your own).

Keep up the good work. :geek:

Attachments

• dmesg.log
    10.6 KB · Views: 359
But I'll be testing your kext again soon! Have you discovered if it is possible to discover networks yet?

No, no, you're underestimating the scope of the problem. I just finished my list of what has to happen in order to fully initialize the hardware. My list has 67 entries, of which some are calls to functions that don't exist on OS X and workarounds needs to be researched, some involve hardware-specific concepts I'm not familiar with and need to figure out, and at least 15 of them are function calls where I haven't even looked at the functions they call yet so some of those will likely cause the list to expand.

Of these 67+ I've successfully ported perhaps 10 in the first few weeks. (Granted, those few weeks included a lot of learning curve.)

But needless to say, actually doing anything with the hardware is a whole 'nother list after I manage to turn it on.

On top of which, Apple's WiFi stack is closed-source (no public APIs), so separately from the driver, all the wireless logic needs to be implemented. Apparently somebody once ported one of the *BSD WiFi stacks to OS X, but that was their entire thesis project.

So that's why I've been saying, nobody hold their breath on this.

I'm hoping if I make some decent progress, I can attract some like-minded individuals to help out with this, because a lot of the work could be done in parallel.

One way or another, if it turns into something useful this year, that would be good. My plan is to keep on making incremental progress and giving updates. There will continue to be opportunities to test, as each bit of progress is made.

But it'll be a long haul. :)

On the other hand, you may have a new laptop by the time the driver is working, so you may be able to fix it that way. :)

I'm thinking of hackintoshing my Yoga 3 Pro instead, since that has supported wifi. I guess that counts as getting a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back