Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All,

I've started work on a project to port the current-generation Intel WiFi drivers from Linux to OS X. Right now it's very, very early in a process that looks to be a very, very long one. I have a kext that identifies compatible hardware and loads and digests the matching firmware, but it doesn't yet do important things like, say, connect to a network.

Still, it's a start, and if anybody has a recent Intel WiFi card and wants to give it a spin and confirm whether it recognized the card successfully, there's a build with instructions here:

https://github.com/ammulder/AppleIntelWiFiMVM/releases/

The list of compatible hardware is here (it includes the Broadwell and Skylake NUC WiFi cards):

https://github.com/ammulder/AppleIntelWiFiMVM/

Intel WiFi Driver Effort - Intel® Wireless 7265

I can test it tomorrow on 10.11 with Intel Wireless 7265 and post the result here.
Update: there is no kext file there. I am setting up Xcode to build and create kext file from source.

I can test it tomorrow on 10.11 with Intel Wireless 7265 and post the result here.
Update: there is no kext file there. I am setting up Xcode to build and create kext file from source.

Any news, you do it?
It would be great !!!

Intel WiFi Driver Effort testing on X1 Carbon

Here is the log file. I just selected whatever was having the name of WiFi card.

Attachments

• WiFi.log
    9 KB · Views: 3,317
Hi, ammulder.

I have a Intel 8260 wifi and would like to test it for you.

I upload the driver-file. It's recognized correctly. Since I don't know much about the hardware, I log the result from Console.app and hope it's useful for you.

View attachment AppleIntelwifi_from_Console_8260.txt
It's a great job.

zipfly75, I see this:
loading for device Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7265
LOADED firmware file iwlwifi-7265-16.ucode
Parsed TLV firmware Release: 16.242414.0

And osx01:
loading for device Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8260
LOADED firmware file iwlwifi-8000C-16.ucode
Parsed TLV firmware Release: 16.242414.0

That's all the right output in both cases. Glad to see it! And thanks for testing.

However, I don't have much of a status update on a functional driver. Recognizing the hardware and loading the firmware turned out to be the easy part. Now I'm working on the actual wireless functionality, and there's a LOT of code in the Linux driver. I think maybe I underestimated the complexity. :)

Anyway, I'm working on getting it all running in OS X. I don't really have an ETA. Maybe I'll try to give an update every week? Right now I'm working on eliminating the basic syntax differences and putting together a list of all the functions that the Linux driver calls that don't exist under OS X. :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 4.39.18 PM 1.png
Where do I put the kext? Thanks!

That's a curious error. The location shouldn't matter when you load it manually like this.

Try setting the permissions first, if you haven't already:
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelWiFiMVM.kext
sudo kextload AppleIntelWiFiMVM.kext

If that doesn't help, please run Console.app and put "AppleIntelWiFi" in the search box and copy and paste the matching entries into a post here.

I moved it to another directory and now it loaded fine! But in Console.app, I got this output. It may be because I installed it incorrectly, but here it is.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.32.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.34.37 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back