Contribute
Register

Intel WiFi Driver Effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hope with the new macbook AIR ? It seems Apple is using an i5 8210Y.

Any hope with the new macbook AIR ? It seems Apple is using an i5 8210Y.
i5 8210Y is a CPU, not a wifi chipset.

The only real hope in this "Intel WiFi Driver Effort" would come by getting several people working on it by actively coding the driver and reverse engineering Intel and Apple drivers. And not just letting all the load and expectations on the shoulders of one single developer (who may certainly have other duties and priorities)...

On this project:
- 99,9999% seekers
- 1 single person doer

i5 8210Y is a CPU, not a wifi chipset.

The only real hope in this "Intel WiFi Driver Effort" would come by getting several people working on it by actively coding the driver and reverse engineering Intel and Apple drivers. And not just letting all the load and expectations on the shoulders of one single developer (who may certainly have other duties and priorities)...

On this project:
- 99,9999% seekers
- 1 single person doer

It’s hard to justify as well with a replacement card being relatively inexpensive. The only exception are the lower priced non changeable devices which usually don’t have decent Graphics support anyway.

The only exception are the lower priced non changeable devices which usually don’t have decent Graphics support anyway
Don't forget some laptops from Lenovo and HP which have a whitelist in BIOS regarding WLAN cards...
Hopefully for Thinkpads, it's not more the case on models from 2015 and after.

It’s hard to justify as well with a replacement card being relatively inexpensive. The only exception are the lower priced non changeable devices which usually don’t have decent Graphics support anyway.

Multiple reasons for Intel wifi support:

1. As said before, some manufacturers (HP, looking at you) whitelist only certain modules - not even models, modules. So you can have the same thing but by a different manufacturer, and it won't work (e.g. a Dell 7625 won't work, an HP 7625 would)
2. M.2 WiFi cards are not "inexpensive" - especially the ones that match the original specs of most high-end laptops. An equivalent (867/1200Mbps) card starts around 50$ - far from inexpensive.
3. Lots of laptops, mine included (HP Omen 15-ax204nh) won't allow you to even swap the HDD without voiding the warranty... Really shitty but that's life.

Multiple reasons for Intel wifi support:

1. As said before, some manufacturers (HP, looking at you) whitelist only certain modules - not even models, modules. So you can have the same thing but by a different manufacturer, and it won't work (e.g. a Dell 7625 won't work, an HP 7625 would)
2. M.2 WiFi cards are not "inexpensive" - especially the ones that match the original specs of most high-end laptops. An equivalent (867/1200Mbps) card starts around 50$ - far from inexpensive.
3. Lots of laptops, mine included (HP Omen 15-ax204nh) won't allow you to even swap the HDD without voiding the warranty... Really shitty but that's life.

1. Maybe the solution for hackintosh laptops would be to do like for hackintosh desktops: to select and choose only hardware that are the most compatible to be hackintoshed (that would mean to not try to hackintosh one that has wifi whitelist)
2. yeah, I've bought a M.2 BCM94352Z for 22€ . Yeah not 1200Mbps but AC-867Mbps.
3. maybe these not-serviceable-laptops are not suited at first to become a proper hackintosh

What I could suggest for people wanting hardly a full working Intel Wifi driver is to go on https://www.bountysource.com/ and to create an incentive to get a developper or a team of developpers working on this project, then dropping a 100$ bounty on this incentive and gather other interested people dropping money on it to reach an amount (maybe several thousands of dollars) that would get someone to dedicate lots of time, reverse engineering, development and testing on this project.

Last edited:
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel <path to kext>
sudo kextutil <path to kext>
last command gives unexpected result. Intel 7265d2w, MacOS 10.14.2

Code:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fe4c4510500 [0x7fffa48458f0]> { URL = "IntelWifi.kext/ -- file:///Users/bleysus/Downloads/", ID = "net.rpeshkov.IntelWifi" }

Code Signing Failure: code signature is invalid

Disabling KextAudit: SIP is off

Invalid signature -67050 for kext <OSKext 0x7fe4c4510500 [0x7fffa48458f0]> { URL = "IntelWifi.kext/ -- file:///Users/bleysus/Downloads/", ID = "net.rpeshkov.IntelWifi" }

More intel WiFi news. New intel CPUs that may go into MacBooks?

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/17/intel-2019-cpu/

From the article:
We can never know for sure when Apple will adopt a new generation of Intel CPU even when it is available

So,
- IF Apple decides to use this new gen Intel CPU
and
- IF Apple decides to use the wifi part of the CPU
THEN maybe there will have a possibility to get a MacOS driver for that generation of new CPU with integrated wifi chips only. So only for hackintoshs equiped with that same CPU-with-wifi chip would benefit from this driver -> that means not for former generations of not-CPU-integrated-wifi-chips ;)

As with "Foveros" design, Intel will go to 3D stacked integration of its CPUs with a modular approach, the board manufacturers (like Apple) will have the possibility to ask Intel to get CPUs "à la carte" with that or that customized sub-module or not. A bit like ARM SoC approach...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/12/18137401/intel-foveros-3d-chip-stacking-10nm-roadmap-future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back