Asus PRIME Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

has anyone tried or managed to overclock Intel's IGPU under macOS?

I tried with my 8700K and although the overclock is detected under windows, it doesn't work in macOS (i.e. always capped at the max turbo boost of 1.2Ghz). I also tried increasing the "BoostPState" multipliers in the info.plist inside AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E, to match the overclocked multiplier set in BIOS, but that didn't work either.

Finally, I extracted all the loaded ACPI tables using Rehabman's patchmatic and went looking for anything related to the IGPU frequency, but couldn't find anything obvious (I didn't really know what I was looking for though, so I went looking in the dark).

I know overclocking the IGPU won't yield much, but I thought that it would be a nice exercise to see if it can be done.

Thanks for reading and for any responses.

I gave it another try by increasing BCLK from the BIOS (IGPU frequency is tied to it), but that didn't work either. Under macOS the BCLK appears locked at 100Mhz, no matter what the value is, in the BIOS. I suspect that the solution to this, could be straightforward (probably some kext or ACPI table patching) similar to how different CPU multipliers are available for use.

Oh well, I guess few people care about this, in order for someone much more knowledgeable than I am to seriously look into it.

In any case, it was worth a shot.

I'm curious too about trying to overclock the HD630 in my 9900k. I have the HD630 in a headless configuration and it works great for Quicksync h.264 encoding. I can overclock the HD630 to at least 1.4 GHz pretty easily, and figure it would be interesting to try and see if would translate into improved encoding speeds, but like your experience, it caps out at 1.2GHz regardless of the multiplier set in BIOS. I don't have the skills/knowledge to go further, but have been kind of digging around in the macOS native CPU/iGPU power management thread to see if there's some ACPI patching that can be done to add some P states to the iGPU (in my case, adding the P states of 25, 26, 27, 28).

Hopefully someone can chime in, but I mostly wanted to let you know that you weren't the only one interested in overclocking the iGPU in macOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back