Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1_egyID4kQ1cRd2B3zE92ddA.png
This summer Apple missed it's 2 year goal of fully transitioning the Mac to Apple Silicon from Intel. The Verge's Monica Chin examines why and when we could see the company release a new Mac Pro.

Does anyone else vividly remember the day of June 22nd, 2020? I sure do. That was the day when Apple announced that its Macs were going to transfer away from Intel processors to the company’s own silicon. That transition, Tim Cook himself claimed, would take two years.
Reader, it has been well over two years since that fateful day. Even if you start the clock at the November 2020 launch of the M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, we are past due. Apple’s ambitious timeline has not come to fruition.

Good news for keepers of the flame!

Actually Tim Cook said that the transition would take "about two years". Which means that there is no hard deadline (wise!), and that, depending on how much leeway the word "about" may allow, the indicative timeline may not have been missed yet.
If Apple discontinues the Mac Pro 7,1 in Q1 2023, as the current rumour goes, I'd actually say that the timeline has been met. (For the avoidance of doubt: I do not advocate forcefully discontinuing any product on any predefined date to meet any arbitrary deadline.)

But pretending that Apple utterly failed because it still sold Intel-based Macs on 23 July 2023 certainly makes for a good click-bait headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back