1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
this is my first post but I've been following both the website and forum in the past years. I built, back in 2011, an Hackintosh system then switched back to an iMac in 2014 so I'm not new to this world :thumbup:
That being said, I finally decided to rebuild my system with a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, an Intel Core i7-8700 and a Radeon RX 560 4GB Pulse I bought months ago. I obviously plan to install Mojave via the marvelous tools here provided :clap:
My local retailer has the opportunity to buy the aforementioned Intel SSD 660p 1 TB NVMe at a very discounted price so I was wondering if there's any kind of documented issues... Searching the forum didn't return any result :confused:
Thanks!

You've been a lurker here for over 8 years ? :mrgreen: That must set some kind of new tonymacx86 record. I'll have to research that to be sure. I've never used the 660p but don't think there are any problems if your motherboard supports it. The only NVMe to absolutely avoid is the 970 Evo Plus. Let us know if it works out for you.

Ahahah if you want to see it that way! :beachball:
Thing is, I found what I was looking for almost every time without asking while really never having that level of knowledge to help others... So I just watched (and learnt) :lol:
Thanks for the advice. The 660p isn't officially in the list of supported drives, I hope it will just work as expected. If you have any further advice, I would appreciate it ;)
Thanks!

Please update this thread if you bought it. I'm planning to buy one as well with almost same setup (390 board, rx Vega 64, i7-8700)

Please update this thread if you bought it. I'm planning to buy one as well with almost same setup (390 board, rx Vega 64, i7-8700)
Hi, I was just about to reply when you asked :clap:.

I just successfully installed Mojave :headbang:

Config:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X - Bios F7
  • USB Drive created with UniBeast - macOS version 10.14.4
  • SSD formatted in APFS with Disk Utility after booting from USB
Notes:
  • On this setup, it took at least 4 reboots on Phase 2 of the installer to finish installation so don't worry if the setup resets your machine after just a few seconds of Phase 2
  • With a 240 GB ADATA SSD a friend borrowed me, as far as I can remember, it took only 2 reboots to finish the setup
  • Performance is good; see attached screenshot!
PS: If you are planning to buy a Gigabyte MoBo, this thread is extremely useful.

K.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
I don't know about 660p but 600p gave me many issues and headache :)

Installation stucks but completed after many tries. System lag and instability, panic... change the ssd resolved that problem

Installation stucks but completed after many tries. System lag and instability, panic... change the ssd resolved that problem
Just for sharing purpose, I also had installation procedure issues (10.14.4), like 4 reboots instead of just 2 with an ADATA NVMe SSD. But after that, system is stable and I'm about to try and update to 10.14.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back