Contribute
Register

Intel SSD 660p NVMe 1 TB: any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRIM should be always enabled or the decay of your SSD will accelerate.

apfs disables TRIM by default, hence the different test results

TRIM was definitely activated: I checked this several times because I had read that TRIM & APFS do not get along well on some NVMe SSDs. From what I read also, it seems that macOS forces TRIM activation on NVMe SSDs, even on non-apple models.

it seems that macOS forces TRIM activation on NVMe SSDs, even on non-apple models.
I agree. I just installed a Intel 660p 1TB NVMe formatted APFS and went to check on TRIM and was surprised to see it was enabled by default on 10.14.6. I thought that was interesting, as I used to having to turn it on in past OS's and on SSDs. This is my 1st NVMe, it's my boot device and has been trouble free in the few days I've used it.

Last edited:
Yes all NVMe SSDs are enabled TRIM by macOS. After I reset NVRAM, TRIM of my SN550 1TB remains enabled.

From what I read, it seems that Catalina will not allow running on HFS+, so APFS will be the only way to go... I am not in a rush to upgrade, but when time comes, I think I will change to another SSD model, the performance drop being very unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back