Contribute
Register

Intel Quick Sync????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download and install MacX Video Converter, they have a trial version on their website. It shows if you have Quick Sync enabled on the main screen.

It shows an "Intel" checkbox but it doesn't let me select it. I can select "Use High Quality Engine" and also "Deinterlacing" but can't select "Intel". The "Nvidia" checkbox is grayed out.

Does this mean it's not enabled on my system? See screengrab

View media item 187852

It means Intel Quick Sync is disabled. If you click the blue (i) button you will see that you don't have any hardware encoding support. You will need to find a way to activate it via patches, DSDT etc.

Let me know if you get it working 'cause it's disabled on my system as well and I tried almost everything but to no avail.

Last edited:
macOS/OS X implementation of Intel Quick Synch is AirPlay Mirroring.
System Preferences/Displays/AirPlay Display: (lower left corner, if available)

In my experience the Airplay availability can sometimes lie. It can show as available but the VideoToolbox API will fail to create a hardware encoding session and instead fall back to software. This is what happens when people report Airplay is available but the airplay display is laggy and/or delayed.

I did eventually fix it; I think I used a modified version of one of your DSDT patches. Let me go dig out the AML and figure out what I may have done.

It shows an "Intel" checkbox but it doesn't let me select it. I can select "Use High Quality Engine" and also "Deinterlacing" but can't select "Intel". The "Nvidia" checkbox is grayed out.

Does this mean it's not enabled on my system? See screengrab

View media item 187852

I don't think I would trust that program's information because I have a GTX 970 and have CUDA installed. It works fine in Adobe Premier with CUDA, OpenCL or Metal. I also have AirPlay Mirroring available, and it does work, and I cannot select the Intel box either.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.51.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.51.40 AM.png

It means Intel Quick Sync is disabled. If you click the blue (i) button you will see that you don't have any hardware encoding support. You will need to find a way to activate it via patches, DSDT etc.

Let me know if you get it working 'cause it's disabled on my system as well and I tried almost everything but to no avail.

See above. I think it is an issue with that program.

Last edited:
I don't think I would trust that program's information because I have a GTX 970 and have CUDA installed. It works fine in Adobe Premier with CUDA, OpenCL or Metal. I also have AirPlay Mirroring available, and it does work, and I cannot select the Intel box either.

I dunno if the Nvidia stuff is accurate, but as best I can tell the detection of intel QSV capability is accurate. All it does is try to create a VTCompressionSession with the 'require hardware encoder' flag and reports the results. If that session creation fails then no user programs on the system can access the intel hardware encoder. I have my own application that takes advantage of the hardware encoder and I can confirm its ability to create hardware encoding sessions tracks 100% with what this program reports.

I think Airplay does something else to determine availability. I've certainly had situations where no user application could create a hardware encoding session but Airplay was available; on my system(s) the Airplay performance was pretty bad if the hardware encoder wasn't available.

Not sure about Nvidia CUDA support (as there are no drivers for my 1070 yet) but I can safely say that the Intel Quick Sync detection is correct.

I'm a wedding videographer and I earn my living from FCPX. It's pretty easy to notice that there's no hardware encoding when the same project takes 5-6 times longer to export than it does on my 3 year old rMBP.

I also did the GFX0->IGPU stuff as zakklol mentioned in this thread but it didn't help either.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-hd-530-no-quicksync.199614/

Not sure about Nvidia CUDA support (as there are no drivers for my 1070 yet) but I can safely say that the Intel Quick Sync detection is correct.

I'm a wedding videographer and I earn my living from FCPX. It's pretty easy to notice that there's no hardware encoding when the same project takes 5-6 times longer to export than it does on my 3 year old rMBP.

I also did the GFX0->IGPU stuff as zakklol mentioned in this thread but it didn't help either.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-hd-530-no-quicksync.199614/

I use Adobe Premier for my video projects and have full support of hardware encoding with my 970 but this program cannot detect it. All other Adobe applications like Photoshop and Illustrator detect the 970 properly too.

I read that other thread and will try the DSDT edit and see if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: So interestingly enough I replaced all instances of GFX0 with IGPU in my DSDT and I can now check Intel box.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.27.10 AM.png

Last edited:
replaced all instances of GFX0 with IGPU in my DSDT
Likely, native Intel AGPM (IGPU) is required for hardware encoding.
A connectorless framebuffer enables AirPlay when no display is connected to Intel graphics, i.e., 27" iMac.

Likely, native Intel AGPM (IGPU) is required for hardware encoding.
A connectorless framebuffer enables AirPlay when no display is connected to Intel graphics, i.e., 27" iMac.

On my setup when I was running 10.11.X, if I didn't use your hd4600_Airplay patches, I couldn't create hardware encoders. I'd get a log/stderr message from my app that specifically said something like 'Could not find IGPU'. If I used your patch (or one like, it, I think just GFX0->IGPU) then I could create hardware encoders.

I just booted 10.12.1 with NO patches and I still get the IGPU stderr message, but it successfully creates the hardware encoder. With no patches I also get hard lockups if I try to play Beats1 in iTunes, or if I try to play Twitch streams (which are delivered via HTTP+HLS and handled by Safari's built in support). If I use the IGPU patch Beats 1 still doesn't work, but it at least doesn't hard lock the machine. Twitch streams work.

I believe my Clover configuration has inject intel enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back