Contribute
Register

Intel NUC8i7HVK ALC700 dumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
found the only problem comes from Windows, re-installed, got the audio-jack working after Windows
Windows/Sound or Realtek driver?
Attach Windows supported audio devices screenshot
Cold boot (shutdown, pull power, hold power button in for 30 seconds, restore power)
Restart macOS
Reply with new IOReg and Terminal output

Windows/Sound or Realtek driver?
Attach Windows supported audio devices screenshot
Confirmed, Audio Jack front & rear works right after installing Windows, even without any external driver installed.
Front headphone jack can only act as LineOut, no difference or any Line In function when connecting to L+R+Mic connector.

Somehow, Realtek driver provided by Intel & the version I used to install are either NOT able to install at all, with error in driver installation phase during installation of the Realtek driver set.
after some googling, there is no clue so far. error -0001, seemed like a "Generic Error".

4 Images are attached
Device manager: explanation: top to bot, 1 Speaker & 2 Microphones
Device manager.jpeg
ACPI tree View in Device Manager:
ACPI view.jpeg

Settings: Input, 2 microphones already, without any external connection.
Input setting.jpeg
Settings: Output connected with either rear or front, only one speaker device here.
output setting.jpeg

Cold boot (shutdown, pull power, hold power button in for 30 seconds, restore power)
Restart macOS
Reply with new IOReg and Terminal output
attached with IOReg & output

Attachments

• IOReg.ioreg
    6.9 MB · Views: 113
  • output.txt
    986.1 KB · Views: 731
Confirmed, Audio Jack front & rear works right after installing Windows
Disagree, Device Manager does not show front audio port working; no headphone mic or speaker. Device Manager does not show Optical on rear audio port. By the way, Tweaktown says the NUC has 4 microphones on the front panel panel.

Attach Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback and Recording screenshots
May have to right click for Show Disconnected Devices

Disagree, Device Manager does not show front audio port working; no headphone mic or speaker. Device Manager does not show Optical on rear audio port. By the way, Tweaktown says the NUC has 4 microphones on the front panel panel.

Attach Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback and Recording screenshots
May have to right click for Show Disconnected Devices
Well, first answering the question:

Playback: Same setup, 6 HDMI, Only 1 Speaker (item 2nd). How it acts, is either plug in front or back, there's ONLY ONE jack outputs audio, and front audio jack has higher priority. And it's not telling me "whether front or rear is plugged", but only a "plugged in or not" indicator.
Playback.PNG

Record: How it works, is only 2 microphones. according to the test to these microphones, I'll have a conclusion attached below. And by inserting a L+R+Mic earphone, no audio-in showed up here.
Record.PNG

Tweaktown says the NUC has 4 microphones on the front panel panel.
This is showed in #59, page 6, and I did some actual testing:
IMG_3343.jpeg
By blocking the hole of each microphone pieces and monitoring from output, I found that that's actually Mic1(Mic-L,Mic-R),Mic2(Mic-L,Mic-R). A layout like this:
IMG_3311.jpeg
The number mic1 / mic2 is not relevant with the node or anything "hardware perspective".

SPDIF seemed not working right after the Windows installation, but no drivers can be installed since Realtek driver fails itself from #82. I don't know why.
Somehow, Realtek driver provided by Intel & the version I used to install are either NOT able to install at all, with error in driver installation phase during installation of the Realtek driver set.
after some googling, there is no clue so far. error -0001, seemed like a "Generic Error".

I'm sure the "Show disabled / Not connected device" are both selected.

Additionally:

Disagree, Device Manager does not show front audio port working; no headphone mic or speaker.
I am attaching some Device Manager with different scenario:
No Jack is plugged:
Rear jack out.PNG
Front Jack's plugged
front jack in.PNG
Rear jack's plugged:
Rear jack in.PNG
Both jacks' plugged, only front has sound:
Both in, only Front sound.PNG

The sound output switching between each scenarios when I do these plugging & unplugging thing is instant.

Last edited:
Playback: Same setup, 6 HDMI, Only 1 Speaker
NUC8i7HVK/ALC700 does not support the audio devices noted:
Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK

Intel fail
Google: NUC8i7HVK audio problems
Windows: no analog audio, no TOSLINK, no HDMI audio; no solution, 9 months
Likely, macOS/HDMI audio working

NUC8i7HVK/ALC700 does not support the audio devices noted:
Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK
View attachment 394366
Intel fail
Windows: no analog audio, no TOSLINK, no HDMI audio; no solution, 9 months
Likely, macOS/HDMI audio working
Yes, and I think that’s the end now.
As long as HDMI audio and VoodooHDA for rear jack is working now, there’s no need to rush for the AppleALC until Intel solve this problem and it’s quite not stable during the process (Realtek failed too). I’m staying tuned into the BIOS Updates.

Sincerely, Thank you.
Intel fails ;)

Attachments

• New.ioreg
    15.2 MB · Views: 124
  • output.txt
    221.7 KB · Views: 85
Bad news.
Serious audio problems, no NUC HDMI, SPDIF, Line out audio
Codec dump shows the codec is not configured to support the available audio devices in Windows or Linux; L + R + mic (F) or L + R (R)
The current macOS solution only supports HDMI and SPDIF digital audio
User lmshsqlc has a front line out working with Voodoo
Check for latest BIOS, attach codec dump
Otherwise, contact Intel

Bad news.
Serious audio problems, no NUC HDMI, SPDIF, Line out audio
Codec dump shows the codec is not configured to support the available audio devices in Windows or Linux; L + R + mic (F) or L + R (R)
The current macOS solution only supports HDMI and SPDIF digital audio
User lmshsqlc has a front line out working with Voodoo
Check for latest BIOS, attach codec dump
Otherwise, contact Intel
Correction: the VoodooHDA working Jack is rear jack.

There's no BIOS update relevant to Audio problems since the beginning of the problem reported in Google. And however, some problems constantly happen in this model NUC8I7HNK. I don't know if there're any other model using ALC700, dump and configure on their device should be well appreciated to the codec I think.

And update:
VoodooHDA 2.9.1 is STOPPING hackintosh from booting in macOS 10.14.4

Now I'm deaf without bluetooth headphone lol
awaiting for VoodooHDA.

And an interesting discovery:
the clover bootloader has a boot sound feature, and can detect the outputs
It detected the 6 HDMI outputs and rear jack as well as the front jack, which they're marked as "Realtek"
Once I turned on the test sound, rear is output normally, but when I selected front jack(not even test output), it freezed.
well I don't know whether we should continue or not.
But I'll write it down for people coming after can see this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back