Contribute
Register

Intel NUC Skull Canyon Skylake - OS X El Capitan installation (using only Unibeast & Multibeast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
NUC skull canyon - Skylake Core i7 CPU - 2.6Ghz - quad core
Graphics
Iris Pro graphics 580
This guide is exclusively for the just released Intel NUC Skull Canyon - model NUC6i7KYK

CONFIGURING THE BIOS

Start the NUC and hold down the F2 key so you can get into the BIOS
Hold down F8 so you can load the default settings
In DEVICES -> VIDEO -> select "IGD Minimum Memory to 128MB" (instead of IGD Minimum Memory to 64MB)
In SECURITY -> Security Features -> uncheck "Intel VT for directed i/O (VT-4)"
In POWER -> Secondary Power Settings -> "Wake on LAN from S4/S5" -> select "Stay Off"

NOT NECESSARY but you can also:
BOOT -> Boot Priority -> Legacy Boot Priority -> disable "Legacy Boot"

NOT NECESSARY - If you are only using OS X you can disable WI-FI and Bluetooth since OS X only uses Broadcom chips
DEVICES -> Onboard Devices -> WLAN -> uncheck
DEVICES -> Onboard Devices -> Bluetooth -> uncheck

NOT NECESSARY - I also updated the bios to the latest 0037 from Intel web site
go to: downloadcenter.intel.com and search for "NUC6i7KYK"
Download the .bio file so you can do the updated directly from the bios pressing F7

press F10 to save and exit

I currently have bios version 37 installed

_____

CREATING THE USB OS X INSTALLER

Download El Capitan from the Apple Store

Insert a USB drive into your mac and erase it with DISK UTILITY calling it "boot"
The drive needs to be less then 32GB. If it's bigger make a partition at less then 32GB

Download UNIBEAST and MULTIBEAST - You need to register in order to download, but it's free.

Launch UNIBEAST, select you USB drive, select "EL CAPITAN", select "UEFI boot mode", skip the "optional graphics configuration" and click continue. You now have a startup OS X USB drive.

copy MULTIBEAST to your USB "boot" drive

INSTALLING OS X ON THE NUC'S SSD DRIVE

Put the USB drive into the NUC USB port, turn the power on and hold the F10 key
so you can startup Clover and start installing OS X to the NUC's SSD drive.

It will take many tries since it will not start right away. Keep rebooting until the OS X installer appear. Do not give up.

Sometimes when the USB drive is not booting I go into "Option" (when in CLOVER), select the second row, press ENTER/RETURN and delete "-v dart=0_" - press ENTER/RETURN again to save, scroll down hit RETURN and try to start again

it's tedious and it doesn't work right away, but if you keep trying the OS X installer will eventually boot !

you will get lots of " Error allocating xxx ages at x alloc type 2 " but keep trying

BASIC CONFIGURATION OF OS X

After Installing OS X, log-in and copy MULTIBEAST from your "boot" drive to your desktop

then launch MULTIBEAST and select:

Quick start -> UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers -> Network -> IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3
Customize -> System Definitions -> iMac 17,1

it takes a few restarts for the system to work - keep trying

do not select stuff randomly since if it doesn't work you will have to begin all over again

if you have tried stuff that works please comment

when it's installed the system is fast and very nice but of course it will never be "perfect"

Download CLOVE CONFIGURATOR from (you will need it to make specific tweaks to OS X):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/clover-configurator.276/

____

what's working:
- ethernet
- usb
- hdmi
- remote management only through VNC

what's not working:
- wi-fi and bluetooth (will not work since apple uses broadcom chips)
- audio
- when I try to connect to the NUC using Apple Remote Desktop, the NUC crashes
- memory: I have one 16GB ram module, but the system shows 8GB ram
- quicktime when playing mp4 videos ( i have to use VLC for it)

what's annoying:
I randomly get the infamous error allocating xxx pages at xxx alloc type 2 so sometimes i have to restart 5-6 times before the system boots properly. Sometimes it boots properly 4-5 times in a row and sometimes it doesn't. I noticed that if I play around in the clover startup screen like removing 'dart=0' from the boot options, sometimes I am able to boot up. But you never know when you will be able to boot.
I tried to substitute OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi but nothing changed, the issue remains.

I have attached my config.playlist file down below

I have the following set-up:
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz SO-DIMM Memory Module - CR16G4SFD821
HD: Samsung 250GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD - MZ-N5E250BW

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 7.01.17 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
I really hope this NUC will become a stable hackintosh in the near future. Looking forward to further progress :)

does anyone know if tonymac plans to add the Realtek ALC233 audio driver into the next multibeast release ? ....or just how to make audio work on the skull...!

Last edited:
NUCs coming tomorrow... Ready to give this a try. Would love to hear if you have had any more progress in the last few weeks that maybe helpful? I'm really hoping to use this as a working hackintosh...

Wifi + Bluetooth - I figure may be resolved via USB dongles, sitting in the internal headers or on a hub. (10 bucks each)

RAM - will see how mine shows up, I opted for 2 x the crucial same 16gb cards. Does BIOS see your full RAM?? RAM info added with clover configurartor??

Audio - I use external soundcard so not such an issue for me.

Quicktime - Prefer VLC!

So with some workarounds or managing fine without this seems alright... except for the boot issues?? have you had any progress with this??

Will follow your guide and share my results... differences being a samsung 950 pro ssd (512gb) and 32gb RAM.

afox: Are you getting graphics artifacts when you scroll up and down in finder? I installed the imac 14.2, perhaps I should change it to 17.1. DP and HDMI 2.0 seems to work for me. I have USB speakers so having no sound is okay for me.

I got it booting from the USB but as yet haven't had a successful boot from the internal drive.

Had to install NVME for OSX Kext to be able to install OSX on 950 pro.

- I had no graphics artifacts in finder.
- My RAM showed up fine.

Spent much more time than I'd like re-installing this in attempt to get successful booting. Really will appreciate anyone's feedback. Installed windows 10 and put this mission on the back burner for now, but I'd love to get cracking on it again, especially if anyone else has had more success!

I got it booting from the USB but as yet haven't had a successful boot from the internal drive.

Had to install NVME for OSX Kext to be able to install OSX on 950 pro.

- I had no graphics artifacts in finder.
- My RAM showed up fine.

Spent much more time than I'd like re-installing this in attempt to get successful booting. Really will appreciate anyone's feedback. Installed windows 10 and put this mission on the back burner for now, but I'd love to get cracking on it again, especially if anyone else has had more success!

This guide is lacking in quite a few key areas...

My guide is much more complete:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...g-clover-uefi-nuc6i5syk-nuc6i7kyk-etc.194177/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back