Contribute
Register

Intel NUC + Mavericks + Asus PB278Q + HDMI = headache. Pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my OS X install on an Intel NUC (thunderbolt model). Two problems actually:

1. Video via NUC's HDMI is scrambled on boot, even though I set it to a res lower than the monitor's native res. That is, I have it set to 1920x1080, rather than its native 2560x1440. Still, it's scrambled. I see three miniature interlaced screens on top, with about 2/3 of the bottom screen black.

However, once I set it to sleep, then wake it up, the display's perfect.

2. Audio via NUC's HDMI is a nightmare. I've read through toleda's instruction and his threads over and over again, but honestly his instructions and the posts on the threads are some of the most complicated things I've ever read. I'm in awe of all the effort he's put in, but I find it difficult to figure out what to do. I'm sure it's my lack of understanding.

Still, I managed to modify my NUC's DSDT file (patched with MaciASL), put it into the /Extras folder, downloaded toleda's modified AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext, and used KextBeast to install it.

Then I noticed I had HDMI audio. Halleluyah, right? Not so fast. Default install of Mavericks, after running Multibeast, shows video to be Intel HD4000 with 1024MB. However, after using toleda's kext file, the it shows Intel HD4000 with 512MB, and the resulting video quality is quite bad. But I could live with that. The main problem seems to be that when I boot and the video's scrambled, it now won't correct itself after sleep sometimes, forcing me to power down manually and try again (and again and again), until I felt it's not worth it, and removed toleda's kext with the original.

If someone has solutions to the video scrambling problem or the HDMI audio by the way of DSDT file or any sort of modified kext file... or if could school me through the process with simple instructions, I'd forever be in your debt.

FYI: I've included my DSDT file and DPCIManager screen shot for your reference below.

S

View attachment Intel_NUC_DSDT.aml.zip
View attachment dpcimanager_screenshot.png.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back