Contribute
Register

Intel NUC HDMI Audio (HD4000/CLOVER/EL Capitan) - help interpreting Toleda's guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCQ

Motherboard
NUC DC3217BY (D33217CK - i3 3217u)
CPU
i3
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Hi. Being new to Clover I needed some assistance to interpret toleda's HDMI Audio Guide for an HD4000 Intel DC3217BY NUC that had OSX 10.11 freshly installed using Clover as the Bootloader.

toleda himself has given me some guidance as to whether my understanding of the steps that should be performed is correct. My comments and questions were in
[green font] and were numbered so that it was easier to reply to them.
I'm grateful for the help, advice and answers to my questions.

I haven't attempted applying this fix yet, but will edit this post again in due course.

Many, many thanks, toleda! :thumbup:

SCQ.

Intel NUC HDMI Audio_v2 HD4000 HDMI audio
Introducing a simple HDMI Audio editing tool for OS X HDMI audio for the IntelNUC. Based on the MaciASL built by SJ_UnderWater, the Apply button automatically makes the HDMI audio dsdt edits to your dsdt in less than a dozen steps. No editing of the patch file or dsdt required.

Before You Start:
[This section is just advice as to what the outcome is and to do a full backup before starting. ]
  1. OSX does not provide HDMI audio controls (no volume, no mute, no balance, etc.)
  2. The connected HDMI device (TV, receiver, etc.) provides any and all audio controls
  3. Make a bootable backup of your system (CarbonCopyCloner/SuperDuper)
  4. Requirements
1. OSX
1. Yosemite - 10.10 or newer [1. SOLVED: This method will work with El Capitan - thanks toleda]
2. Mavericks - 10.9 and newer
3. Mountain Lion - 10.8.3 and newer​
2. Intel NUC
1. DC3217IYE - 2xHDMI
2. DC3217BY - TB/HDMI [Yep. That's what we have.]

3. Tools

1. ​IORegistryExplorer (select one)
    1. IORegistryExplorer_v2.1.zip (View Raw); or
    2. IOJones Download [2. SOLVED:download IOJONES and use it to find HD4000 HDMI port-number - see the mini-guide attached at the end. My port-number was 0x5]
  2. dsdt editor
    1. MaciASL [3. SOLVED: you'd download this tool to make the changes to the dsdt and compile it, but as we we're using cloverALC method to make the changes to the ssdt there's no need to do so - thanks toleda]
  3. device_id/kernel cache/status
    1. DPCIManager [4. SOLVED: download this tool to check the system status information - thanks toleda]
  4. bootable backup
    1. CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper [It's advisable that you use one of these tools to make a fully bootable system backup before you start making any system changes, or proceed at your own risk]

Step 1: HD4000 HDMI Audio kext edits

1. AppleHDA.kext (Audio ID: 3 support required, select one) [5. SOLVED: use method 1.2 below - thanks toleda]
    1. toleda/audio_RealtekALC
    2. toleda/audio_CloverALC (config.plists/KextsToPatch) [6. SOLVED: cloverALC performs all edits, there is no user intervention - thanks toleda]
    3. MultiBeast 7.1 or newer (patched)
    4. Native AppleHDA.kext
  2. AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext (DC3217IYE/2x HDMI only) [As we're applying this to model DC3217BY ignore this section]
    1. HD4600+/HD4000/HD3000 Framebuffer Edits
      1. Use capri-b
      2. toleda/audio_CloverHDMI (config.plists/KextsToPatch)
      3. Use Capri-Port _0x5-DP2HDMI
      4. All HD4000 patches must be applied after each software update1. Except Clover

Step 2: OS X HDMI Audio Guides [7. This section is to be ignored as cloverALC makes all the necessary edits - thanks toleda]

1. Verify INTEL dsdt (1st line) [8. SOLVED: ignore]
    1. DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 2, "INTEL ", "DQS77GL "dsdt edits
  2. [Guide]_OS_X_hdmi_audio-dsdt_v2.pdf.zip [9. SOLVED: ignore]
    1. URL: https://raw.github.com/toleda/audio_hdmi_hd4000/master [9. SOLVED: ignore]
    2. Patches/HD4000 (subject to change) [10. SOLVED: ignore]
      1. AMI-Clean_Compile-7series
      2. NUC-HD4000-A1
  3. Apply/Close/Compile/Save/Install [11. SOLVED: ignore]
  4. Restart Restart with HDMI device connected

Step 3: Verify HDMI Audio [12. SOLVED: you should now check that the audio devices are reported as present by checking in System Preferences - thanks toleda]

Information/Troubleshooting/Problem Reporting
See: [Guide]_HD4000-hdmi_audio_(dsdt_or_ssdt)_v2.pdf.zip [If you run into any problems following this guide report any issues following the requirements in this pdf]

WHAT I'VE FOUND, SO FAR...

MINI-GUIDE: How to find the HD4000 HDMI port-number using IOJones

1. Boot the system with only HDMI display connected
  2. Open IOJones
    1. in Search: enter display
  3. Select: AppleDisplay from the (left-hand) menu window
  4. Cancel the Search: display (X)
  5. Select: AppleIntelFramebuffer (above AppleDisplay) in the menu window
  6. Scroll the (right-hand) Property window to port-number
  7. Note the port-number

Last edited by a moderator:
I've numbered my questions so that it's easier to reply.
1. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Use cloverALC
6. cloverALC performs all edits, no user intervention
7. Use ssdt (8, 9 , 10, 11 do not apply)
12 Yes

Port is 0x7, no kext edits required

ssdt:
See HDMI Audio AppleHDA/Post #1/OS X HDMI Audio Guides/ssdt injection/1. Guide
Same thread/Post #1/Problem Reporting/Post to same thread as the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back