Contribute
Register

Intel Nuc 2.0 (Broadwell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long will it be available? Cause actually I don't have so much money, I will in a couple of month... do you thing that it will be available by that time?

I would go for a D54250WYKH Haswell NUC, because they are still available and work perfectly well with OS X.

MacTester

Mactester,
it is worth to build "macmini hack" using D54250WYKH to get late 2014 basic model's performance but working for sure or should I wait to get the working system with faster CPU (Boardwell) ???

from forum:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/159093-intel-nuc-2-0-broadwell-2.html#post1014336

NUC5i7RYHR
CPU : Broadwell 5557U, 3.1GHz, Turbo 3.4 GHz, Dual Core i7, 4mb cache <-- Nice !
Graphics : Intel Iris 6100
Apple hardware match : MacbookPro12,1, 13 inch, early 2015 (Same CPU & Graphics)

won't this work ?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I've read through different threads and quite frankly, I am not entirely sure what is required for a NUC5 Hackintosh. From everything i can tell, it is impossible to get any built-in WiFi and Bluetooth working.

So that being said, if I am looking to build a Hackintosh NUC using a 2.5"SSD with functional Wifi & Bluetooth, what are my options?

Can anyone pinpoint the required hardware? Do I need to get a NUC5i5MYHE or is there a cheaper option that I can use for an i5 system?

Thanks,

Eric

For anyone interested in an alternative with removable wifi cards besides the Gigabyte Brix try this little baby.
I just picked up a MSI Cubi 004 i3 5005u Broadwell at Frys over the weekend. It has a removeable wifi/Bluetooth card. I paid $199 US and there's a $50 rebate in the form of a credit card. $149, $20 for msata 64gb, $35 for the wifi, and $45 for 8gb ddrl 3 1600 MHz. So for about $250 I've got a great little multimedia center. This is not a Nuke, but it has the same platform except for the soldered wifi card. The only drawback is the legacy bios, however once installed I'm running Sierra Beta 5 no problems, and I got a bonus, it comes with HD 5500 graphics, however mine reads and has metal support for Intel Iris Pro 6100 graphics. I added the HD 5500 sdst to clover acpi patches folder and I used the 16160002 Fake ID. I was getting it early on and thought it was cosmetic until I added the sdst to clover then it lit up with support. Tuesday my Broadcom wifi card will be here so I'll report back on how wifi works soon. It's strange but I do have Bluetooth support on the Intel wifi card.

These are tough nuts to crack when loading a fresh install, it was very gratifying once I got it to autoboot without any -x, no caches, -v boot arguments. Later tonight I will post my config plist for anyone interested in trying one out. My system definition is MacBook Air 7.2 however it natively defines itself in clover bootloader as an iMac 15.1. You need to use legacy boot mode to get it to run the install. The only drawback is the weak bios options, it's up and running and passing Uningine benchmarks. Valley extreme HD @ 4 fps, woohoo! Scored a 150, yeah!

My NUC5i5RYK works quite well with the EFI.zip that was posted in this thread by tazman1937. (Wish I could get one for my Brix i7 4770 that I have been struggling with for ages...)

I only see two things I was not expecting. Are these normal or is there something I can do about them:

1. I cannot shutdown to a power-off state -- it always reboots.
2. The HDMI output does not give me 3840x2160. Should it? (Displayport-to-HDMI works fine at 3840x2160.)

Thanks!

Yes, of course! Because everything (NUC, HDD, Display etc.) is supplied from the same iMac PSU, everything has the same GND (0V) reference.

I would go for a D54250WYKH Haswell NUC, because they are still available and work perfectly well with OS X.

MacTester

Guys, I'm also trying to start my imac g4 mod project but I still don't know which NUC to choose.

D54250WYKH seems to be discontinued (at least in Spain). Then, the model I choose for specs/price relationship and low profile, does not seem to be confirmed about working with Hackintosh (Intel 5i3RYK). Can anyone that recently did a g4 mod shed some light about the NUC choosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back