Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
I'm interested in using the new Intel Nuc 2.0 as a Hackintosh:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5i5ryh.html

The hardware seems pretty close to the Mac Mini - with Intel Iris 6000 integrated graphics.

Does anybody know if this machine would be suitable? The only part I'm not sure about is the Wifi/Bluetooth card.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend going for a Gigabyte Brix instead, since it is recommended on this website. Those integrated graphics most likely won't work, the processor might not even work either seeing it's a 5th gen not a 4th gen Haswell. The internet won't work, and it's soldered down, I wouldn't take the risk. It's a big, and when I say big I mean giant, stretch to say it might just work. Again, look at the Brix recommended on this website as it is confirmed to work.

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

I have considered the Brix before, however I've heard a lot of people saying that the machines are loud and prone to overheating.

I do agree that on paper it looks like a much better fit for a Hack through.

I would recommend going for a Gigabyte Brix instead, since it is recommended on this website. Those integrated graphics most likely won't work, the processor might not even work either seeing it's a 5th gen not a 4th gen Haswell. The internet won't work, and it's soldered down, I wouldn't take the risk. It's a big, and when I say big I mean giant, stretch to say it might just work. Again, look at the Brix recommended on this website as it is confirmed to work.

Yep, I can confirm that it doesn't work. OSX will not run on it, unless I'm a complete idiot (which could be the case).

Since the HD6000 and the Broadwell CPU is on the same die, effectively neither works at this point.

Hold off on the purchase, until someone like toleda, wonkeydonkey or rehabman can create a patch, or perhaps until after 10.10.3 is released.

Until then, it's a glorified Windows 8 machine.

S

The graphics are NOT the same between the 2014 Haswell Mac mini and the 2015 Broadwell NUC.

The Mac mini uses Haswell HD5100 Iris graphics and the NUC uses HD6000. The Broadwell NUC will not have Iris graphics until the i7 RY SKU is released later this year.

Folks, for those considering the Broadwell NUC's, do your homework before committing your hard earned $$$.

Here is a quick rundown of the NUC/Apple hardwares and how they compare :

Mac Mini 2014 i5 1.4 GHz - 4260U CPU - HD5000 Graphics
Mac Mini 2014 i5 2.6 GHz - 4278U CPU - HD5100 Graphics (Iris)
Mac Mini 2014 i5 2.8 GHz - 4308U CPU - HD5100 Graphics (Iris)
Mac Mini 2014 i7 3.0 GHz - 4578U CPU - HD5100 Graphics (Iris)

MacbookAir 11 Inch 2015 (7,1) - 5250U CPU - HD6000 Graphics
MacbookAir 13 Inch 2015 (7,2) - 5250U CPU - HD6000 Graphics
(Other models exist here with different CPU's but all with HD6000 Graphics)

Then we come to the currently available Broadwell NUC models :

NUC5i3MYHE - 5010U CPU - HD5500 Graphics

*NUC5i3RYK - 5010U CPU - HD5500 Graphics
*NUC5i3RYH - 5010U CPU - HD5500 Graphics

NUC5i5MYHE - 5300U CPU - HD5500 Graphics

*NUC5i5RYK - 5250U CPU - HD6000 Graphics
*NUC5i5RYH - 5250U CPU - HD6000 Graphics

The NUCs above with an asterisk next to them have Intels own wifi cards soldered in, which makes them less than ideal for our purposes.

The 'K' models are the shorter ones which do not accommodate a 2.5" HDD, the 'H' models are taller and can accommodate the additional 2.5" HDD.

Matching up the hardware above, the MYHE model NUCs (You can add your own wifi to these) seem the better option so far but their CPU's do not match anything Apple has used so far.

Since the preferred method for using the NUC would be to match its hardware as close as possible to an existing Apple device, on this basis, I would not purchase any of the existing Broadwell NUCs. Its possible Apple will use either the 5010U or 5300U in an upcoming product, which would make things easier.

The other thing to consider is that the i7 Broadwell NUC's are due for release soon. For those prepared to wait, they could be a better choice.

Folks, for those considering the Broadwell NUC's, do your homework before committing your hard earned $$$.

*NUC5i5RYH - 5250U CPU - HD6000 Graphics

The NUCs above with an asterisk next to them have Intels own wifi cards soldered in, which makes them less than ideal for our purposes.

And if I don't need working wifi? I just want a lil broadwell HTPC with a wired Ethernet connection and room for an SATA drive. I'm aware that we're expecting 10.10.3 to have more/better broadwell support but has anyone managed to get the i5-5250U NUC running yet/is it possible to get it running with an image from a current MacBook Air? Maybe I should just be patient ☺️

And if I don't need working wifi? I just want a lil broadwell HTPC with a wired Ethernet connection and room for an SATA drive. I'm aware that we're expecting 10.10.3 to have more/better broadwell support but has anyone managed to get the i5-5250U NUC running yet/is it possible to get it running with an image from a current MacBook Air? Maybe I should just be patient ☺️

Well the 2 listed MacbookAir's have HD6000 of course. I haven't looked to see if HD6000 is supported by the current bootloaders.

Its all well and good if you dont need working wifi, although having it in there but unconfigurable probably wouldn't be the smartest idea. There is the possibility of course that you might be able to disable it completely in the bios; that would be useful.

And yes, you should be patient lol

I think the upcoming i7 models will have a lot to offer. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back