Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Thanks the reference to OCAT. Looks like it is under active development.
For it to be of any use it needs to be updated every month along with new OpenCore releases.

Created a new 16 Gig USB flash formatted HFS+ GUID for boot purposes. Copied the EFI folder from the EFI partition that was being used to boot the NUC10 with OC 0.5.9.

Rebooted to verify that the USB flash would boot the NUC10.

Created another 16 Gig USB flash as above. This time I copied mrasong’s v0.7.8.0207 EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Using PLIST Editor app I filled in mrasong’s blank MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID with my working values.

Shut things down.

Rebooted from the new USB flash with 0.7.8.

Works!

Thanks to all!

The beauty of vanilla!

Did you know the vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid?

Last edited:
Created a new 16 Gig USB flash formatted HFS+ GUID for boot purposes. Copied the EFI folder from the EFI partition that was being used to boot the NUC10 with OC 0.5.9.

Rebooted to verify that the USB flash would boot the NUC10.

Created another 16 Gig USB flash as above. This time I copied mrasong’s v0.7.8.0207 EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Using PLIST Editor app I filled in mrasong’s blank MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID with my working values.

Shut things down.

Rebooted from the new USB flash with 0.7.8.

Works!

Thanks to all!

The beauty of vanilla!

Did you know the vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid?
Using Big Sur? Your friend over at Github is using the FakePCIID.kexts which cause kernel panic in Monterey (in case you were not aware.)
His list of kexts:

NUC10 Kexts.png

Using Big Sur? Your friend over at Github is using the FakePCIID.kexts which cause kernel panic in Monterey (in case you were not aware.)
His list of kexts:

View attachment 542435
No, this is Catalina for the moment. Not on the bleeding edge. This NUC10 is run headless.

It has an NVMe SSD and a SATA SSD. CCC was used to clone the former to the latter. The NVMe was the boot drive. An update to Catalina came out and I tried to update but it had some issue. Issue might have been OC 0.5.9. Anyway, I just shifted to booting from the SATA.

My main machine is an M1 Mini running latest Big Sur. This NUC10 is really just used to run Intel VMs.

The question now is… Should this now update correctly? I will clone the running SATA SSD before trying to upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

@Leesureone @Dennis_Womack

The GitHub EFI folder has separate config.plist files for Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. If the EFI is used the appropriate config.plist must be selected based on macOS installed. For Monterey the FakePCIID kexts are not used.

The release notes refer to fixing sleep. For me sleep works, but keyboard or mouse clicks don't wake the hack. I must push the power button to wake.

I was not getting sound to my HDMI display until I tried an earlier version of this EFI. On each reboot I have to reselect my display as the output source, which is not optimal.

I have not dug into the differences in the three config.plist files to compare them. I was wondering why the config.plist didn't use the MinKernel and MaxKernel fields to disable the FakePCIID kernels in Monterey. Apparently there are other config.plist differences that can't be altered based on kernel version to allow a single multi-macOS file.

I don't use the NUC10 at this point, and only have Monterey installed, so it isn't worth my time to investigate further.

@Leesureone @Dennis_Womack

The GitHub EFI folder has separate config.plist files for Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. If the EFI is used the appropriate config.plist must be selected based on macOS installed. For Monterey the FakePCIID kexts are not used.

The release notes refer to fixing sleep. For me sleep works, but keyboard or mouse clicks don't wake the hack. I must push the power button to wake.

I was not getting sound to my HDMI display until I tried an earlier version of this EFI. On each reboot I have to reselect my display as the output source, which is not optimal.

I have not dug into the differences in the three config.plist files to compare them. I was wondering why the config.plist didn't use the MinKernel and MaxKernel fields to disable the FakePCIID kernels in Monterey. Apparently there are other config.plist differences that can't be altered based on kernel version to allow a single multi-macOS file.

I don't use the NUC10 at this point, and only have Monterey installed, so it isn't worth my time to investigate further.
Thanks for clarifying that a bit, I didn’t dig into it at all except to do a scan on basic content. Completely skipped any read me or update notes.

Has anyone been able to play from the Apple TV App? every-time I hit play, it opens a black window the closes it self. Got 3 NUC8i7, same for all of them.

Has anyone been able to play from the Apple TV App? every-time I hit play, it opens a black window the closes it self. Got 3 NUC8i7, same for all of them.
It is probably a DRM issue, systems using just the IGPU have documented issues playing protected content.

EDIT: I don't use Apple TV but I just tried it on my Z690 system with an AMD graphics card and it works fine so I'm doubling down on the iGPU being the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that a bit, I didn’t dig into it at all except to do a scan on basic content. Completely skipped any read me or update notes.

I finally got the 0.7.8 EFI folder to work. The problem was the EFI->APFS settings for MinDate and MinVersion. They were set at 0 and 0. I set them to -1 and -1.

None of the continuity stuff seems to work here with Catalina.

hanks for clarifying that a bit, I didn’t dig into it at all except to do a scan on basic content. Completely skipped any read me or update notes.

Back