Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well and safe. I am facing recently a sleep-wake problem (Big Sur 11.2.3) that I don't think I had in the past. Not sure if it's related to OpenCore 0.6.8 update, do you still get smooth sleep without immediate wake on the NUC10 Core i7?

When I run this command in Terminal, I get a wake reason "XDCI" but I am not sure how to further investigate or resolve as this is the only thing I have. Power options are good and validated in Hackintool, of course:

Code:
% log show --style syslog --last boot | fgrep "Wake reason"
2021-04-18 15:45:10.225569+0200  localhost powerd[82]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>"  identity: "<private>"
2021-04-18 15:45:33.972700+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI
2021-04-18 15:45:33.972702+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI

Did anyone from you come across this issue? The USB ports are defined in USBPorts.kext with internal USB headers switched off in BIOS (v0050) but I am still not sure which ports to remove from that kext as there's a suspicious activity stemming from HS07 (seems to be TypeC+Switch) that shows "Billboard" as attached device, pointing to the USB-C to DisplayPort cable that I am using.... interestingly enough, I learned that there's a device called USB 2.0 Billboard that is a standard-named device used in USB-C adapters/converters and part of the USB-C specification...

Thanks again, any input or insight is welcome.
if I can give you some advice, use the kext "Usb Inject All", the "xhci port limit" parameter is the most complete and active on opencore.

Of course no problem whatsoever in windows. The AMD or Nvidia RTX3060 GPU work fine in Razer Core X and Sonnet Breakaway eGPU. I could even play Cyberpunk2077, AC Valhalla, GTA5, SIM4, Forza with Ultra setttings with this nuc.

Only problem is Big Sur, AMD RX580 is detected in Graphic/ display but under thunderbolt not detected. I wonder how coz some people claim to work on NUC8BEH without flashing thunderbolt chip. I dunno what kinda magic they're using.

BTW: I still couldn't find the CPU Setup in RU.EFI, i pressed page down and up until the menu return, but there is no CPU setup. My suggestion is to remove this procedure due to it's risk and replace it with the good old CFGunlock.efi or remove it altogether since OC 0.6.8 already had it activated if im not mistaken.
It is normal that it is not detected on "About this Mac - Thunderbolt" as the official firmware of the TB part has not been flashed ... I am working to try to solve this problem; however TB currently seems to work stable and native. To activate the graphics card, I have to see how it works, only not having it with me I can not do further tests.

But have you loaded the RU.efi from the bios and not from Opencore?

But have you loaded the RU.efi from the bios and not from Opencore?
Yes, like u said after enabled the shell in bios, F10 on boot and you have the openshell in the bios boot menu along with Opencore, click it and then u can find RU.efi in EFI folder with command line which is cumbersome depends on which folder you place the RU.efi in the EFI. You can include the RU.EFI in your EFI folder but this RU.efi is making your installation complicated when compare to implementation of the old CFGunlock.efi in Auxiliary menu along with ResetNVRAM, Recovery etc.

On other note, i tried your new EFI with Opencore 0.6.8 but there are few glitches which i decided to go back to your stable 0.6.7 version.

1. There is an error when booting, this message is showing in split second. After reading some forums this is caused by missing item(s) in config.plist that the new opencore.efi unable to find.

IMG_1827.PNG

2. The menu sticks to text based non gui even after i changed the Pickervariant to Modern from Default. It works on previous EFI. According to my reading, one or more icon file .ics file(s) that Opencanopy couldn't find in resources/image folder so it will automatically stick to text based menu instead of GUI.

Worst part is, it couldnt boot to my windows, opencore reboots everytime i click to Windows.
IMG_1828.PNG

3. The picker arrow pointer has become erratic sometime and only want to stick to the first menu, have to key in numkey "2" if i want to boot mac.

IMG_1829.PNG

4. I've seen you already included the FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, but i didnt see HDMI audio in mac sound menu, but sound just works like previous version.

5. The booting and restart are full verbose mode now which looks scary-kernel-panic-ish, perhaps you can delete "-v" in boot-args to make the boot and restart look less intimidating.

Yes, like u said after enabled the shell in bios, F10 on boot and you have the openshell in the bios boot menu along with Opencore, click it and then u can find RU.efi in EFI folder with command line which is cumbersome depends on which folder you place the RU.efi in the EFI. You can include the RU.EFI in your EFI folder but this RU.efi is making your installation complicated when compare to implementation of the old CFGunlock.efi in Auxiliary menu along with ResetNVRAM, Recovery etc.

On other note, i tried your new EFI with Opencore 0.6.8 but there are few glitches which i decided to go back to your stable 0.6.7 version.

1. There is an error when booting, this message is showing in split second. After reading some forums this is caused by missing item(s) in config.plist that the new opencore.efi unable to find.

View attachment 516508

2. The menu sticks to text based non gui even after i changed the Pickervariant to Modern from Default. It works on previous EFI. According to my reading, one or more icon file .ics file(s) that Opencanopy couldn't find in resources/image folder so it will automatically stick to text based menu instead of GUI.

Worst part is, it couldnt boot to my windows, opencore reboots everytime i click to Windows.
View attachment 516509

3. The picker arrow pointer has become erratic sometime and only want to stick to the first menu, have to key in numkey "2" if i want to boot mac.

View attachment 516512

4. I've seen you already included the FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext, but i didnt see HDMI audio in mac sound menu, but sound just works like previous version.

5. The booting and restart are full verbose mode now which looks scary-kernel-panic-ish, perhaps you can delete "-v" in boot-args to make the boot and restart look less intimidating.
I'm sorry, I have to fix the graphic part in that efi; soon I do it and it will be 100% working ... for the fake HDMI, it seems strange to me not to recognize it, on my PC there is audio in both HDMI and TB.
through the new EFI arrive at the desk?

I'm sorry, I have to fix the graphic part in that efi; soon I do it and it will be 100% working ... for the fake HDMI, it seems strange to me not to recognize it, on my PC there is audio in both HDMI and TB.
through the new EFI arrive at the desk?
I've Fix the graphic part in that efi. Now is good! for the audio HDMI, have you updated to 11.3?

@epal

View attachment 516508

View attachment 516509

View attachment 516512

@epal if you can try, let me know if everything works

Hello @pierpaolo2395 and @epal I am not sure how you manage to get FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio kexts loading, I have tried multiple times and FakePCIID doesn't even load at all. Do you have this shown when you run kextstat in Terminal? What CSR values are you using in Config?

I have looked for your EFI share @pierpaolo2395 but could not find it in this thread so I can validate my suspicion based on comparison of our configs :D Did you share this here with @epal ?

Again, for anyone who wishes to study before you're applying new OpenCore or parameters, I have my findings out in the open, here mackonsti/nuc10i7fnh

Last edited:
Hello @pierpaolo2395 and @epal I am not sure how you manage to get FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio kexts loading, I have tried multiple times and FakePCIID doesn't even load at all. Do you have this shown when you run kextstat in Terminal? What CSR values are you using in Config?

I have looked for your EFI share @pierpaolo2395 but could not find it in this thread so I can validate my suspicion based on comparison of our configs :D Did you share this here with @epal ?

Again, for anyone who wishes to study before you're applying new OpenCore or parameters, I have my findings out in the open, here mackonsti/nuc10i7fnh

sure, you can find my efi here .. INTEL-NUC10i5FNH
let me know if you notice anything to change ..
I'm working really hard to make it perfect

@pierpaolo2395 i used your efi and i tried to update to 0.6.9 opencore but boot is stuck.. OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted

Back