Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Just curious... I've been running my NUC10i7 for a while HDMI Sound never worked. No option to even select it. The other thing that I'd like to get running is the built in SD Card reader. My kids are forever taking my USB ones from my desk and when I need them, they're gone. I could superglue them in to the USB port if I have to but if there is a way to get the SD Card working that would be great.
HDMI sound always worked for me using VoodooHDA.kext instead of AppleALC.kext and that's been recommended here by a few users. Which kext are you using?

That behavior is generally related to a couple of things, the monitor and display cable you are using as well as how the iGPU is configured in the DeviceProperties/Add section of your config.plist. Unfortunately there are no native drivers for the NUC10 i7 iGPU in any version of Mac OS so CPU emulation is used to spoof it into thinking you are running a Coffee Lake processor. You maybe be able to tweak the display properties using Hackintool to correct that issue but if its your monitor that's not cooperating that's tougher to correct.
Ok, thank you for the answer, I'll have a look at those.

Hi @rmasci if you want, you can test the latest Sinetek driver/kext updated here few days ago: https://github.com/cholonam/Sinetek-rtsx/releases
I have not tried it yet, but I have good reasons to believe that Intel didn't change the SD reader between NUC8 and NUC10 platforms. Please post your results when you can, thanks.

How to install the kext? sorry noob here, i tried:-
1. Putting in the EFI and edit the config.plist - Not working
2. Drag the kext to Library>Extensions> - Not working
3. Use hackintool to install - Not working

Last edited:
How to install the kext? sorry noob here, i tried:-
1. Putting in the EFI and edit the config.plist - Not working
2. Drag the kext to Library>Extensions> - Not working
3. Use hackintool to install - Not working
1. is the right answer, if you did it correctly the card reader should work if its supported by the kext. It may not be but that is to be determined. 2. That location is not recommended and 3. Hackintool is only viable if used for the clover boot loader I believe

@Leesureone is right @epal and remember Google is your friend, you will find answers to most issues...
1. Unzip any kext you want; make sure it is compatible with Catalina or Big Sur;
2. Mount your boot EFI partition;
3. Copy this XXXX.kext in the OpenCore /EFI/OC/Kexts/ folder;
4. Declare the (new) kext carefully and correctly in your config.plist in Kexts > Add section like other basic kexts;
5. Save config; unmount EFI partition; reboot and pray :D
6. Make sure the SD card reader is enabled in BIOS!
7. You are advised to test such things using a USB boot method, in case there is a Kernel Panic and you can't reach the Desktop again. Always. OpenCore has not (yet) the easy feature of Clover where you can exclude SSDTs, kexts and choose configurations...
Cheers

@Leesureone is right @epal and remember Google is your friend, you will find answers to most issues...
1. Unzip any kext you want; make sure it is compatible with Catalina or Big Sur;
2. Mount your boot EFI partition;
3. Copy this XXXX.kext in the OpenCore /EFI/OC/Kexts/ folder;
4. Declare the (new) kext carefully and correctly in your config.plist in Kexts > Add section like other basic kexts;
5. Save config; unmount EFI partition; reboot and pray :D
6. Make sure the SD card reader is enabled in BIOS!
7. You are advised to test such things using a USB boot method, in case there is a Kernel Panic and you can't reach the Desktop again. Always. OpenCore has not (yet) the easy feature of Clover where you can exclude SSDTs, kexts and choose configurations...
Cheers
Already tried that before. Not working. Seems to me that most community contributing to NUC dev. are from previous generation NUC8, so much stuffs working with that model, eGPU, TB3, SD Card. Not so much for NUC10. Sometime i feel like to throw the unit out of the window.

Frustration aside, regarding the reaching desktop, or the EFI, multiboot with windows really help. Windows App like Disk Genius is pretty good to access the EFI folder in windows environment and change whatever before reboot again to MacOS to see the changes.

Hi everyone, I flashed last weekend the new BIOS 0050 release from Intel on my NUC10 Core i7; upon reboot, I did a "Load Defaults" via F9, set again the basic settings needed, then rebooted to OpenCore (picker) and cleaned NVRAM, continued to boot to Big Sur without issues. Shutdown has been working just fine, too, since BIOS 0047. Cheers.

Last edited:
I've a USB Sound Device and often use a bluetooth headset, but I also have a display with built in speaker, which I used to test hdmi/thunderbolt audio.

Both displays (hdmi/thunderbolt) show up as sound devices:

View attachment 497081

Since the Dell (connected over hdmi) doesn't have internal speakers I connected my LG over HDMI to test and it worked. But normally the LG display is connected on thunderbolt (because it's a thunderbolt screen). Yesterday I didn't replug for my test, so I tested sound over thunderbolt, put it on sleep, woke (both devices still showed up), tested sound again and it worked.

Today I tried to replug the LG to HDMI and test it again.. It worked, put in on sleep, woke. It's gone. Doesn't show up as sound device anymore. Put it on sleep again, woke. No change. Hot repluged (LG Thunderbolt, Dell HDMI) -> Both show up again. Sleep, woke -> Both devices still there. It's strange. My Dell shows up after sleep, but without internal speakers I cannot check if it's still working.

Hi guys,

I have the same problem .. I use a DELL UP2516D with integrated sound card .. with my NUC10i5 I cannot make it recognize the audio part via Thunderbolt.
I tried the EFI, but it still doesn't work.

did you manage to fix it?

Back