Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

gatesjunior,

Thank you so much for your contributions here.

I'm running a NUC 10 i7 and am struggling a bit with getting the audio to work. I understand the best we can do at this point is HDMI Audio only (ignoring possible bluetooth or headphone jack). I'm using the sample OC EFI NUC10i76.1 from: [Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc), post #894. Great resource and everything went smoothly except the audio.

I've read all the posts, but still don't quite understand your setup. Attached is my EFI (without unique serial numbers, etc.). Below is the file structure.

Also, I ran your suggested command to see which kexts are loaded: it looks like these are the only ones: Lilu, WEG, VirtualSMC, VoodooHDA, IntelMausi and IntelblueToothFirmware. I don't see AppleALC, AppleHDADisabler or USBPorts loaded.

Thoughts/suggestions for audio (and any other improvements)? Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 500302

View attachment 500308
Let me take a look at this. I have been out of pocket for a couple of days with work. You should not run AppleALC with VooDooHDA though. VoodooHDA on its own should suffice. But let me dive into your setup files and get back to you.

Update:

Just a quick look. You have a couple of the SSDT's in your config but they are NOT enabled. Specifically your RHUB, which is your power USB reset and your thunderbolt SSDT. Also, your APPLEALC.kext file is also in there but also NOT enabled. Try messing with that first and set them correctly and reboot.

Get yourself a PLIST editor. There is one in the App Store I use.

Last edited:
Looks like the M1 is better performing than my NUC10i7 with 64GB of ram.
Yes, but you get what you get, including internal storage. However, you can attach and external storage device. I do not like being locked in like that, but the performance is extremely impressive for the cost. It is now almost in the realm of just buying that. I don't like the idea though of only running Windows in a VM though. Bootcamp with Windows on ARM is not publicly available.

Hi everyone, I am trying to improve and optimise the OC config as much as possible and been reading the new 0.6.4 release PDF too, I have a couple of issues to report for your confirmation/assistance on my NUC10i7

1) It seems that I cannot boot (get past the OpenCore preboot "matrix" screen) if I don't use some CPU emulation. I can only boot as iMac20,1 or Macmini8,1 with some CPU emulated, otherwise it fails. Is this the same for you, too? I think the Core i7 model has this need/issue.

Moreover, I tried very much to find out more information about the CPU ID emulated, could only find just ONE reference and that's the one I will stick to:

"For CPU i7-10710 use CPU IDs 0x0806EC or 0x0806EB to solve it for now, even 0x0806ED works". So:

<data>7AYIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data> is 0xec060800000000000000000000000000 in HEX and references 0x0806EC apparently to Intel Core i5-10210U (Comet Lake). Source: http://yamatyuu.net/computer/program/vc2013/cpuidview/index.html

<data>6wYIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data> is 0xeb060800000000000000000000000000 in HEX but cannot find any reference to a CPU model/generation...

Anyone knows a) why we need to absolutely fake CPU on i7 model and b) where can we find a list of ALL CPU IDs?

2) In a Tweet on 20 February 2020, user _rogame wrote:
MacOS 10.15.4 Beta
Apple Adds support for CometLake
0x9B418086 => i5-10210U & i7-10510U 4C/8T
0x9BCA8086 => i7-10710U 6C/12T
0x9BCC8086
0x9BC88086
0x9BC58086
0x9BC48086

Any idea how we can validate if the latest Catalina 10.15.7 and BigSur 11.0.1 have these supported? Is it the Kernel itself? I am not too familiar, any help is appreciated. Since NUC10 has Core i7-10710U I would have expected native support. But could this tweet be only for that beta and never officially released, at the end?

Thanks for your help/insight.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for this thread...learned a lot from it!
I have a nuc 10 i5 - and everything works great with Big Sur except for an annoying sound issue - every boot, shut down, sleep or wake - there's a loud popping sound from my speakers. Tried multiple speakers, layout-id's, EFI's, antipop programs... Nothing worked.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Do your NUC 10 have trouble shutting down? mine did ok, but now, just restarts, any one willing to share EFI that doesn't reset? would appreciate help. thanks

Have you updated yet? Last time I updated an old NUC 10 open core would stop loading, hence very hesitant

I tried but getting a weird error of failed update. I have a separate SSD with Windows 10 that I boot into to play games and do this kinds of updates. I haven't had issues before. I'll keep trying and post the results.

I tried but getting a weird error of failed update. I have a separate SSD with Windows 10 that I boot into to play games and do this kinds of updates. I haven't had issues before. I'll keep trying and post the results.
Hi - as an aside, could you please share your EFI? I'm on v3 of an i7 NUC 10 and am still struggling with audio. Thanks!

Hi - as an aside, could you please share your EFI? I'm on v3 of an i7 NUC 10 and am still struggling with audio. Thanks!

Sure, here it is. I had issues with the AppleALC. Sometimes it will work perfectly (using headphones) and sometimes the sound will crack, sound distorted. I would reboot and it will fix the issue but sometimes it wouldn't. It seem to happen randomly. So I disable it and using VoodooHDA, works perfectly for me now.

Also sometimes when I shutdown, the computer restarts instead so I had to hold the power button until it fully shutdowns. Besides this, everything else works.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.5 MB · Views: 155
Back