Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Hi, guys!

Just to share my migration to BigSur - it was surprisingly smooth.
All apps I use seem to work fine, except Little Snitch (upgrade is needed).
Many thanks to Dortania team for great work.

Can you upload your latest EFI?

Hi, guys!

Just to share my migration to BigSur - it was surprisingly smooth.
All apps I use seem to work fine, except Little Snitch (upgrade is needed).
Many thanks to Dortania team for great work.
Well done mate. Did you create a USB installer or just updated via the Installer.app itself?
What about drivers (kexts) all still load OK?

There have been some others having this problem some pages back (~ page 56 of this thread). I didn't have this issue at any point so far, so I didn't really read them :rolleyes: My shuts down perfectly and stays off. I really wonder what could be the reason behind this, especially if you used my EFI and the same energy-settings in your BIOS. Which BIOS version do you have? I'm on 45. It's not the newest but also not the one it was shipped with. (I used it because there were success reports for this version).

You need to download and use HeliPort App (https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/HeliPort/releases). itlwm.kext is included and active in my EFI.

I guess not. I don't have a eGPU to try it, only a thunderbolt display, but the display works fine, despite you have to turn it off/on after booting to show an image. USB-C -> HDMI displays have the same issue, so I dunno if it's port related or just a display thingi. MacOS recognises the display (even it stays black after booting) so maybe it works fine with a eGPU. If not try to replug it after booting. Please share your results with us :)
Thank you very much. The Heliport works well. I did not change the Bios. I need to check. Another issue. The fan of the NUC is really noisy during smaller tasks like browsing. Is it possible to reduce the speed, or to change the fan?

Did you create a USB installer or just updated via the Installer.app itself?
What about drivers (kexts) all still load OK?
Regular update under latest Catalina (Installer.app).
All kexts I use are loaded.
Before update I read here trying to estimate the chances to be stuck somewhere and the only two issues I was worried about were SATA controller support (I have a second drive that is SATA) and troubles around VirtualSMC (vsmcgen=1 boot-arg), but everything went fine with unchanged Catalina's EFI having the latest kexts and OC

FWIW, I updated my i5 10th gen NUC to Big Sur. It went amazingly smooth. No issues with installation.

Only quirk I can find is that now Safari beachballs shortly after launch, and I have to force quit it.

Otherwise, everything seems good.

Thanks @zavrus thanks @twlatl indeed, I also smoothly installed (totally unexpected) Big Sur on my NVME from the Catalina SSD downloaded installer, with the same OC 0.6.3 configuration and kexts, I am now running 11.0.1 test installation just fine.

However I need to report something and need also your help, including @Leesureone and @NCMacGuy if possible.

1. Shutdown does not work when running Big Sur, nor does the "Shutdown" icon in OpenCore screen. Without touching anything on my BIOS, shutting down when running Catalina works 100%. Yesterday, I tried shutting down Big Sur to no avail... Had to reload Catalina and shutdown from it, so the NUC can shut finally down properly!

So please, when you post the efforts and BIOS settings please don't forget to specify from which macOS you're trying to shut down... also which NUC and BIOS used... I can predict this isn't going to be an easy thing to solve immediately or in a rather "clean" way...

2. Your kind confirmation and assistance please:

When starting-up my NUC10i7, for some reason, I always get a strange behaviour, that first-boot screen (see below) is very slow, gradually shows some stuff in 3 parts, I think; then shows "Exiting efiboot..." and I am taken back to OpenCore main screen to select a boot drive. Upon second attempt of e.g. my Catalina 10.15.7 SSD, eventually I can boot.

Moreover, I have no idea, and this is where I need to kindly pick your brain on why this pre-macOS-boot screen is so slow! Do you guys get it too? I tried DevirtualiseMmio=False and couldn't even startup Darwin.

Can you please help me by:
a) naming that screen that's shown as the one in my screenshot?
b) confirm if you also see that screen in stages and delaying macOS real boot?
c) any idea what do these Err(0xE) mean? Are they errors?

Does anyone have an idea or point me to a documentation how to "read" this screen? I can't even find anything on Google search as I don't know what is its name... Not sure this is applicable: Understanding the macOS Boot Process

Thanks!
IMG_6238.PNG

Last edited:
Is it possible to reduce the speed, or to change the fan?

I didn't post my Cooling bios settings earlier because I don't consider them to be very healthy. But it makes it a lot less noisy..

cooling.jpg

Only quirk I can find is that now Safari beachballs shortly after launch, and I have to force quit it.
Strange. I use safari as my default browser, didn't notice any problems.

1. Shutdown does not work when running Big Sur, nor does the "Shutdown" icon in OpenCore screen. Without touching anything on my BIOS, shutting down when running Catalina works 100%. Yesterday, I tried shutting down Big Sur to no avail... Had to reload Catalina and shutdown from it, so the NUC can shut finally down properly!
Which bios version do you have? I'm on 0045 and it shuts down on Big Sur just fine. Bios settings are in #597

When starting-up my NUC10i7, for some reason, I always get a strange behaviour, that first-boot screen (see below) is very slow, gradually shows some stuff in 3 parts, I think; then shows "Exiting efiboot..." and I am taken back to OpenCore main screen to select a boot drive. Upon second attempt of e.g. my Catalina 10.15.7 SSD, eventually I can boot.
strange indeed. I don't know what it's called, but I get this screen too but just for about 1-2 secs and then it continues with the normal boot. Looks bit different, but I too have some "Err" entries (sorry for bad quality, but I had to make a video to catch it fully)

boot.jpg

This is under Catalina Desktop support, can we keep it on topic or start another thread for the current release ?

Back