Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Hi, Konsti!

Would you please explain the need and origin of these AMLs?

That's OK when you don't load Thunderbolt ACPI tables. This AML was brought in this thread by dolgarrenan and there is a chance he will modify it to perfection. At the moment the only issue I experience is the need to re-plug the TB3 devices after MacOS startup.

You use either AppleALC for headphone and HDMI audio or VoodooHDA - they don't work together and as far as I understand we don't need any extra audio kexts because all audio through native AppleHDA is handled by AppleALC. For me HDMI audio disappeared from Sound preferences pane starting (I believe) AppleALC 1.5.0 - I bet because there is no perfect Layout (Platform) for NUC10 ALC256.
Side note: But at the same time personally I build my own AppleALC to get both headphone and microphone work, because the last time I checked through all the codecs no one could produce even a beep from headphone (it was definitely after 1.5.2 release).

I posted my thoughts with different frame buffers - please search above. But to save your time - until WhateverGreen starts supporting native device_id there is no much reason in such experiments.

My final thought by now:
- WhateverGreen still lack of supporting native device_id for NUC10 iGPU
- AppleALC still lack of supporting native layout-id for NUC10 ALC256
- Apple still lack of supporting native cpu_id for NUC10i7 so we need an emulation :)

At the same time the lack of above makes me quite happy with my NUC - I use it on a daily basis as a main machine with no any visible irritating issues.
Hi mate, SSDT-APPLE and SSDT-NAMES are my own convention and code. If you see inside the DSL file, there is information that explains each one. I did explain it in my previous long post, here it is for convenience:
  • SSDT-APPLE.aml = Add generic Apple DMAC and FWHD devices like real Macs;
  • SSDT-NAMES.aml = assign unreferenced PCI devices names e.g. MCHC or XSPI etc. so that IORegistryExplorer doesn't show them as pci8086,db18 for example but rather, a logical name (despite being a device not used by macOS) which except for MCHC the others are cosmetic.
As for sound: On my NUC8 indeed I am using AppleALC + FakePCIIDs + FakePCIIDs_HDMI_Audio and not VoodooHDA. The same here for this NUC10. However, despite loading only AppleALC (with Lilu obviously) the kext itself FakePCIIDs is not loaded at all with OpenCore. Nowhere to be found. Perhaps it has dependencies that aren't satisfied? On Clover for same Catalina 10.15.7 it gets injected just fine! As you will see in my ZIP there is no trace of VoodooHDA nor AppleHDADisabler kexts.

Please try latest AppleALC and alcid=23 you will get audio from headphone jack, I succeeded last night! I attached an external speaker to it and YouTube audio worked.

Thanks for your other comments. Indeed, when first hacking the NUC8 I had similar issues, YouTube or screensaver peaked IGPU usage etc. So I guess we need to wait for an update. Any idea how we can contribute? Do we need to just find a compatible existing device_id then?

Final question: the obviously needed emulation, any idea if it has an impact on performance? Is it just compatibility to boot or any other performance impact, in your opinion? For sure IGPU is slower (in Geekbench) than my NUC8...

As for sleep issues @Suchaac I took notes (as I can't take screenshots... BIOS sucks) of the settings after doing "Load Defaults" on purpose and my sleep works. Even wake works. However note that I am using BTLE and WLAN drivers as mentioned PLUS the needed USBPorts.kext that for many is totally imperative for sleep...

Hello community,
I am quite new in the area of hackintosh. I bought a NUC10i7 and a Samsung EVO970 SSD. I created the USB stick with Catalina and used the EFI from NCMacGuy in post 535. The booting stops at this stage? Could anybody please help me?

Thanks

Attachments

• Boot_2.jpg
    Boot_2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
Hello community,
I am quite new in the area of hackintosh. I bought a NUC10i7 and a Samsung EVO970 SSD. I created the USB stick with Catalina and used the EFI from NCMacGuy in post 535. The booting stops at this stage? Could anybody please help me?

Thanks

@sunmenone

I'm confused.

Did you install Catalina on a USB stick, then install the EFI on the stick and attempt to boot from it?

@NCMacGuy

Yes I did exactly the steps you described. I used your EFI folder you provided.
Regards

Any idea how we can contribute? Do we need to just find a compatible existing device_id then?
Device_id is known - look here under NUC10 tab (Hardware ID column in table)
0x9BCA for Graphics should be supported by WhateverGreen (look here in appropriate section, under Native supported DevIDs: / CML). Once 0x9BCA investigated by developers probably there will be new framebuffer for NUC10.

Final question: the obviously needed emulation, any idea if it has an impact on performance? Is it just compatibility to boot or any other performance impact, in your opinion? For sure IGPU is slower (in Geekbench) than my NUC8...
My opinion is that it is very likely emulation has a performance impact.
Moreover, according to some posts it has an impact for some kind of calculations (I don't really know HOW, but there is a thread on GitHub discussing that). So your emulation settings (I see it in your config.plist) can be adjusted a bit for Docker compatibility (probably not only Docker is sensitive to this - no proofs so far except it)

Last edited:
Hello community,

Thanks
A couple of things to check, did you disable Secure Boot in the bios? Also did you unhide the EFI partition on the USB disk and copy @NCMacGuy EFI folder there?

Hey,

I just updated my NUC10i7 to MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur. It wanted to update today already, because I have a dev account I guess. But it wasn't tagged as beta anymore, so I think that's what gets released tomorrow. There were no new kext Updates since the last update couple days ago. Didn't change any OC settings. Install worked without any problems*. Also didn't notice any problems running it so far.

big-sur-nuc.jpg

* I got stuck at the end of the update with a green apple logo. But I head the same issue with my last MacOS update. I just pressed the power button to turn it off and restarted it. It booted up without any problems.

Hey,

I just updated my NUC10i7 to MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur. It wanted to update today already, because I have a dev account I guess. But it wasn't tagged as beta anymore, so I think that's what gets released tomorrow. There were no new kext Updates since the last update couple days ago. Didn't change any OC settings. Install worked without any problems*. Also didn't notice any problems running it so far.

View attachment 495128

* I got stuck at the end of the update with a green apple logo. But I head the same issue with my last MacOS update. I just pressed the power button to turn it off and restarted it. It booted up without any problems.
Hello @z1r0,

good to know that it is working. May I ask you for advice regarding your BIOS settings of the NUC? Would it be possible for you to share your EFI with me? I would try to install BigSur as well. I have the beta already downloaded.
Thank you very much

Hello everyone! A quick update from me regarding SSDT for Thunderbolt.

First of all, great news @z1r0 please can you create a quick sweet guide how you updated? OpenCore 0.6.2 and no changes in the Config.plist?

OK so @Leesureone and @zavrus here are my findings that I would like to ask you to check out. I used my office MacBookPro15,4 SSDT to study the structure of Thunderbolt and made some minor modifications in the SSDT-TITAN.aml (compared to the "DRENAN" version). Attached in DSL and AML for you to study and text-compare.

What is important is that by injecting this SSDT-TITAN.aml we now get XHC2 device shown in the IORegistry tree like a real Mac, and this also impacts the USBPorts.kext generated anew via Hackintool.

Rear and front USB-C port now work, I bought an enclosure for NVMe drive (USB-C to USB-C) and was detected immediately. I don't have other USB-C or Thunderbolt device to test (dock or eGPU etc.) you are very welcome to test and provide feedback.

Of course, there are 3 issues where your feedback is appreciated.
  • In Device (NHI0) of (DSB0) I don't know if the variable "ThunderboltUUID" contents play some effect;
  • FYI: (_DSM) Variable fixed to "linkDetails" per original MacBookPro dump;
  • Same for Device (DSB1) variable (_DSM) called "Thunderbolt Entry ID" where is this number coming from?
  • In System Profiles, the Thunderbolt tab is not showing anything (No drivers loaded).
  • In IORegistryExplorer, as you can see there aren't drivers loaded under IOThunderboltController which is not the case on my MacBookPro, as there are stuff loaded (hence showed in System Profiler, I guess).
Your feedback when possible, is appreciated! Thanks. P.S. BIOS still has all USB ports enabled including headers.

SSDT+Titan+USBPorts.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TITAN.dsl
    45 KB · Views: 57
  • SSDT-TITAN.aml
    3.6 KB · Views: 70
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
@sunmenone sure. I don't remember which settings I changed from default, so I made some photos of all of them (bios_settings.zip).

I have the beta already downloaded.
Why go for the beta? It's released tomorrow. I guess it's the same build as RC2 tho (that's what my Macbook updated to today, it was running beta already), but why not wait for the final release? I also attached my EFI folder. As always PlatformInfo is removed, so you need to generate some. I used iMac20,1. I also have verbose mode off! You should turn it on until you are able to boot (NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args adding "-v" should do it I guess).

It's mostly on one of the EFI folders posted in this thread, I don't remember which one it was. I tried some :D and some changes from some other EFIs posts in here. I dunno if all of the stuff in there is needed, guess not. But don't have time for testing atm. Happy that it's running fine.

@konsti I use OpenCore 0.6.3. Not the completly default config.plist of course. No change since successfully running Catalina. My EFI folder is attached. As far as I see you seem to be more deep into it than me.

please can you create a quick sweet guide how you updated?
Well. I was running latest version of Catalina and got a notification that an update is available. I ran kext-updater to check if there are any updates, there were none. So I opened the "software update" dialog and clicked on install (fingers crossed). Like you would do on a normal Mac. It downloaded ~12-13GB and started the update. I watched the progressbar under the apple logo (verbose mode off), it made some restarts. And finally as the bar went full and I got the green apple logo and no harddrive acitivity/low fan, I forced it off and started it as usual and was greeted with a Big Sur login screen after the apple logo. Nothing special.

But can you briefly tell me what this ssdt-titan and usbports stuff is about? I have my SSDTs from one of the older posts in here (including this SSDT-NUC10-THUNDERBOLT-DRENAN-TST-3.aml) and no USBPorts.kext. My USB Ports seem to be all fine. Wifi (slow, but I'm not using it) and bluetooth work, too. only cardreader is not working for me. I usually have a external harddrive connected to my front usb-c port and didn't notice any problems so far. Thunderbolt isn't showing up in system info, but I have a thunderbolt display connected to it and it works fine (only the reboot bug that you have to turn it off and on again after rebooting). I can attach stuff to the usb of the display and it works fine, so it acts like a normal working thunderbolt port. the only thing not working is audio over thunderbolt. it doesn't even show up as device.

Attachments

• bios_settings.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 107
  • EFI.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Back