Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

#Sleep issue on NUC10 (Resolved)
I have an interesting finding to share to you all that have NUC10i5 (mine) or NUC10i7 (my friend owns). The sleep issue can be reproduced 100% by manually triggered from top Apple icon menu. The steps to reproduce are: After OS reboot => try sleep 1st => wake OK => try sleep 2nd => wake OK => try sleep 3rd and after it's not OK any more (sleep 3 secs then system immediately wake up, the front poweron LED shows solid lighting) But if "SD Card" is disabled in BIOS, then this issue disappear and sleep/wake always work every time. BTW, I have tried every EFI folder in this thread during this troubleshooting (includes EFI created by Leesureone, Zavrus, Majesticmatt and others on the internet), they all have the same above behaviors/sleep issues. Also I have tried CFG lock or CFG unlock it doesn't matter at all. Now I am very happy to live with my NUC10i5, you can try it if you are still struggling with the sleep issue. ;)

I have an interesting finding to share to you all that have NUC10i5 (mine) or NUC10i7 (my friend owns). The sleep issue can be reproduced 100% by manually triggered from top Apple icon menu. The steps to reproduce are: After OS reboot => try sleep 1st => wake OK => try sleep 2nd => wake OK => try sleep 3rd and after it's not OK any more (sleep 3 secs then system immediately wake up, the front poweron LED shows solid lighting) But if "SD Card" is disabled in BIOS, then this issue disappear and sleep/wake always work every time. BTW, I have tried every EFI folder in this thread during this troubleshooting (includes EFI created by Leesureone, Zavrus, Majesticmatt and others on the internet), they all have the same above behaviors/sleep issues. Also I have tried CFG lock or CFG unlock it doesn't matter at all. Now I am very happy to live with my NUC10i5, you can try it if you are still struggling with the sleep issue. ;)

Thanks for the info. I have NUC10i7 and I can confirm that when I disable the SDCard 3.0 Controller then the sleep function seems to be more reliable / more consistent. Hopefully, the change will also fix the shutdown issue when the NUC sometimes restarts instead of shutting down.
Cheers,

Hi, just a couple of things. The EFI folders you have been using, at least most of whom you mention in your post, were for the i7 variant. The i7 requires CPU emulation to boot because Apple has yet, and probably never will, use that flavor CPU. The emulation make OSX think its a Coffee Lake processor. You don't have that issue and if you haven't already look for the "Kernel/ Emulate" portion of your config.plist and delete the two entries there. Either that or restore them to default values. It's not helping your system any, it's probably adding overhead you don't want.

Sleep has always worked fine for me using the i7 after I mapped out my USB ports. I can tell you on the NUC8s i5 and i7 that configuration varies, USB is somehow implemented in a slightly different way and if you do not take that into consideration when setting up your EFI the device won't sleep.

Sleep is dependent or proper USB configuration, it's not the end all, but it's the first thing to address to get sleep functioning. Guess how the card reader interfaces with the motherboard/cpu? Its USB dependent and if that port isn't mapped out properly your device won't work. It could also be a function of the kext, there is a new version available if you look.

Whatever works, just getting you some additional info on your NUC.

Hi, just a couple of things. The EFI folders you have been using, at least most of whom you mention in your post, were for the i7 variant. The i7 requires CPU emulation to boot because Apple has yet, and probably never will, use that flavor CPU. The emulation make OSX think its a Coffee Lake processor. You don't have that issue and if you haven't already look for the "Kernel/ Emulate" portion of your config.plist and delete the two entries there. Either that or restore them to default values. It's not helping your system any, it's probably adding overhead you don't want.

Sleep has always worked fine for me using the i7 after I mapped out my USB ports. I can tell you on the NUC8s i5 and i7 that configuration varies, USB is somehow implemented in a slightly different way and if you do not take that into consideration when setting up your EFI the device won't sleep.

Sleep is dependent or proper USB configuration, it's not the end all, but it's the first thing to address to get sleep functioning. Guess how the card reader interfaces with the motherboard/cpu? Its USB dependent and if that port isn't mapped out properly your device won't work. It could also be a function of the kext, there is a new version available if you look.

Whatever works, just getting you some additional info on your NUC.
Thanks Leesureone. I have followed up below article to create my own USBPorts.kext and it didn't help in my case. (Maybe this was due to No USB port can be detected when inserting an SD card in Hackintosh)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Also as previous mention I have confirmed this issue both exists in my NUC10i5 and my friend's NUC10i7, they behaves exactly the same. (I always removed Emulate data for i7 in my case)

I totally agree with you it works anyway. The most amazing part is VoodooHDA HDMI audio output keeps working even when he turns monitor on/off or sleep/wake multiple times on his NUC10i7 after just disable "SD Card" in BIOS. Before that it will become no audio output. But in my case I can't reproduce that on my side. You never know what will happen next.

Hey guys,

Anyone has a working EFI for my BXNUC10i5FNK2?

I tried following the steps to build my own but I seem to missed a step or something and can't boot.

Thanks in advance and much appreciated!

Back