Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

hello everyone,

I upgraded to Opencore 0.6.1, run my config plist against the OpenCore config.plist Sanity Checker with the Desktop: 10th Gen defaults.

• It boots normally still, Catalina 10.15.6 19G2021
  • Same scores on the geekbench:
    # Name Platform Architecture Single-core Score Multi-core Score
    3782401 Macmini8,1Intel Core i7-10710U 1600 MHz (6 cores) macOS 64 x86_64 1094 4967
  • Using latest kexts from: https://downloads.tlhub.cn
  • USB, sleep works (although once I left the computer sleep almost 24 hrs..I couldn't get it to resume from sleep. Had to do a hard restart, it work normally after that). Short sleeps of a few hours to all night, 12 hrs, it resumes fine, no issues..using 1440p 144hz monitor works without issues over HDMI
  • Got an EGPU, Razer Core v2 along with Radeon XT 5700, I can't get it to work at all. Even when I do a restart and is already connected via TB3, it hangs on boot. It looks I have to do some type of firmware flashing which I won't risk it. It works perfectly when booting natively on Windows 10 (heck RPCS3, Cemu and Dolphin emulators work perfectly with an occasional slowdown here and there)
I use it mostly as a daily driver: email, browser, YouTube, Office for Mac, all works pretty good so far!
Did you change the the bios "Security/ Security Features/ Thunderbolt setting to Legacy? Thats helped in the past.

AppleALC 1.5.2 is loading but no audio out. how to fix?
VoodooHDA works, but quality is not so nice.

also have issues with sleep over long time. what cant it be?

@Leesureone @svandive

I see both of you are dual booting Windows and macOS on the NUC10. I have Windows 10 on an SSD, and Catalina 10.15.6 on a SATA drive on my NUC10. I'm using OC 0.6.1 and the Canopy boot selector.

If I select to boot Windows from the OC boot picker it takes about 80 seconds to get to the Windows login window.

If I have the Windows UEFI selected to boot first in BIOS, or I use the F10 key on startup to select the Windows UEFI, it takes Windows about 13 seconds to display the Windows login window.

I was wondering if others have similarly long Windows boot times from the OC boot picker.

Thanks for anyones response to this anomaly.

Edit: I've confirmed that I have a problem, and resolved the slow Windows boot time per my Post #502. I believe the resolution to the problem was to change in OC 0.6.1 Misc > Security > Expose Sensitive Data from 6 to 14. (I have no idea why.)

Last edited:
@Leesureone @svandive

I see both of you are dual booting Windows and macOS on the NUC10. I have Windows 10 on an SSD, and Catalina 10.15.6 on a SATA drive on my NUC10. I'm using OC 0.6.1 and the Canopy boot selector.

If I select to boot Windows from the OC boot picker it takes about 80 seconds to get to the Windows login window.

If I have the Windows UEFI selected to boot first in BIOS, or I use the F10 key on startup to select the Windows UEFI, it takes Windows about 13 seconds to display the Windows login window.

I was wondering if others have similarly long Windows boot times from the OC boot picker.

Thanks for anyones response to this anomaly.
That's unusual, I have similar, if not identical, boot times. If you want to clear out your serial numbers I can check your config.plist for you. Either that or have you tried the OpenCore Sanity Checker? https://opencore.slowgeek.com

Last edited:
That's unusual, I have similar, if not identical, boot times. If you want to clear out your serial numbers I can check your config.plist for you. Either that or have you tried the OpenCore Sanity Checker?

@Leesureone

Thanks for confirming I shouldn't be experiencing extended Windows boot times from the OC picker.

I used Sanity Checker and made its suggested changes to my plist. But it did not shorten my Windows boot time.

I then downloaded your NUC10i7OC6.0EFI file from your post #894 on the Intel NUC7/NUC8 thread. I made a few minor mods, put it on a thumb drive and booted from it. The Windows boot time dropped back to "normal."

I'll now go back and determine where the EFIs differ and fix my defective EFI.

Thanks again for your response.

========

Edit: I have found that using the EFI that caused long Windows boot times if I did a "cold" boot I would experience long boot times for Windows, but if i rebooted from Catalina to the OC picker ("warm boot"), and picked Windows, the boot time would be normal.

With further trial and error I found that using OC 0.6.1 if I changed Misc > Security > Expose Sensitive Data from 14 to 6, boot times for Windows would be "normal" whether I "cold" or "warm" booted.

According to the Tip Window in OpenCore Configurator the "Failsafe" value IS 6.

Last edited:
Did you change the the bios "Security/ Security Features/ Thunderbolt setting to Legacy? Thats helped in the past.

Yep, I tried all the different BIOS settings for Security -> Security Features -> Thunderbolt. Also I think they are two or three version for the TB3 kext on this thread..I tried all them of them as well. Still when I do a full reboot with the eGPU connected, it hangs..
Thanks though. It is low priority for me. Since I game on the Windows and it works perfectly there, I got no issues. The included iGPU is good enough for the tasks that I do on the hackintosh :)

Yep, I tried all the different BIOS settings for Security -> Security Features -> Thunderbolt. Also I think they are two or three version for the TB3 kext on this thread..I tried all them of them as well. Still when I do a full reboot with the eGPU connected, it hangs..
Thanks though. It is low priority for me. Since I game on the Windows and it works perfectly there, I got no issues. The included iGPU is good enough for the tasks that I do on the hackintosh :)
One last question, when you say hangs on boot what do you mean? A Black Screen or the the text output using -v boot argument stops (verbose boot)? If so did you add the boot argument needed for most 5700Xt cards "agdpmod=pikera"

My nuc10 i3 is woking happily except the 4k resolutions. I can only get full HD. Any help to get the full res?

Last edited:
One last question, when you say hangs on boot what do you mean? A Black Screen or the the text output using -v boot argument stops (verbose boot)? If so did you add the boot argument needed for most 5700Xt cards "agdpmod=pikera"

While the Razor Core is connected and its booting up..it hangs and it performs a kernel dump. I attached a screenshot of it.
I tried adding the boot argument that you mention and got the same result, it hangs while booting.

Also when it successfully boots without the eGPU. I connect the eGPU to the NUC and the mouse cursor freezes completely, the fan ramps up to high and the HDD activity lights begins to flash continously. I have to unplug the eGPU and do a manual reboot to get Mac OS working again. Thanks for your help with this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 55
My nuc10 i3 is woking happily except the 4k resolutions. I can only get full HD. Any help to get the full res?
I don't know this for a fact but since there is no Apple driver for Intel UHD Graphics for 10th Gen Intel Processors it gets complicated. Instead we have to use the generic 07009B3E Device ID recommended by the OpenCore developers and that may be the issue.

Back