Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

NUC 8 Gen has almost twice better performance GPU than NUC 10 Gen.
NUC 10 Gen CPU is only 10-15% faster than NUC 8 Gen.
NUC 10 Gen has more issues with macOS...
Conclusion: Does not make sensu to buy NUC 10 Gen.

@bombardier10 just some feedback on your post:

1.NUC 8 Gen has almost twice better performance GPU than NUC 10 Gen? How are you comparing them? What benchmark?
2.NUC 10 Gen CPU is only 10-15% faster than NUC 8 Gen. Typical of intel but it does depend on the application, seems faster to me
3.NUC 10 Gen has more issues with macOS...not really true. I have had both at the same time, it just depends on how each is configured. I just sold my last NUC8 because the NUC10 runs great.

Hi zavrus, I copied over the drivers and kext from your EFI and Bluetooth/WiFi was more stable after reboots. Thanks so much for that. I did not notice any change in fan speed. What BIOS power options did you select?
Devildothack in his Jul 15 post indicated that MacBookPro16,2 got lower Geekbench test scores than Macmini8,1
I am willing to give up some performance for a quiet fan. Did you choose Macmini8,1?
Cheers,
There are adjustments in the bios for fan speed. Might check into those and make sure you have good ventilation around the case. The suggestion to check if it behaves the same in windows was a good one. It could be a defective unit.

@bombardier10 just some feedback on your post:

1.NUC 8 Gen has almost twice better performance GPU than NUC 10 Gen? How are you comparing them? What benchmark?

NUC8 - Intel Iris 655 - 60 frames Cinebench R15

NUC10 - Intel UHD 620 30 frames Cinebench R15

You find more benchmark on net but Intel Iris 655 is
a top performance Intel graphic.

NUC8 - Intel Iris 655 - 60 frames Cinebench R15

NUC10 - Intel UHD 620 30 frames Cinebench R15

You find more benchmark on net but Intel Iris 655 is
a top performance Intel graphic.
How about a link to the results?

How about a link to the results?
Below is benchmarks from my NUC8.
Intel Iris 655 is two times faster than all other internal GPU.
You can do this benchmark with Your NUC10.

cinebenchR15.jpg
unigine.jpg

Below is benchmarks from my NUC8.
Intel Iris 655 is two times faster than all other internal GPU.
You can do this benchmark with Your NUC10.

View attachment 488257View attachment 488258
Probably carrying this discussion on too long but from what I understand the NUC10 does not have the intel UHD620 or 630 graphics. Instead they refer to it as ”Intel® UHD Graphics for 10th Gen Intel® Processors“.
See part of the article below for information on the i7-10710U and cinebench 15 results at lower TDP than past versions. Maybe graphics processor results are not as desirable but that was never even a consideration for me.

Meanwhile NUC8s are great little machines, been supporting a page in this forum on the 7s and 8s for quite awhile now.

91D1BDC6-3B1B-4A5C-B6C4-089F5A53361E.png

Last edited:
@dolgarrenan,
any news about perfectly running TB3 ACPI ?
My CalDigit TB3 Dock doesn't work after restart - the only help is to re-plug it when MacOS is running.
I also tried this - but it hangs at start.
Well not much yet, the only method I know so far to have a better TB functionality and unfortunately I haven't been able to try patching the firmware myself. I've been having even more work due to COVID and has rendered all my fiddling time gone :( as you can see I am barely active these days.. I've also been working on a personal project and just haven't got much time.

I intend to get back to this asap though, I still check every other day to see if there are any changes that can be applied to our little ones, so let's hope we can all get back to normality soon ;)

Your iGPU score is for Windows, on OSX it's about half that value :(

Back