Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

I’ve successfully installed Big Sur beta 4 onto an external drive on my i5 nuc10. No changes needed to the EFI needed, however the problems I had in Catalina (sound & WiFi) still exist in Big Sur.

I been using this Hackintosh as my daily driver, just awesome little PC. Also I been using different EFIs from all the users that posted here and I found a difference that seems to affect system performance.
When I use the system product name as: MacBookPro16,2 along with a generated serial, reset NVRAM and reboot. I run the Geekbench 5 test and got the following scores:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.46.00 PM.png

The fan doesn't spin hard during the first half to the test and it starts to spin hard during the second part when the test does its multicore testing.

Now, when I change the system product name to: macmini8,1 along with new generated serial, reset NVRAM and reboot. I run the same test and got higher score:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.51.37 PM.png

When using the macmini8,1, I notice the 1st part of the test the fan does spin hard along with the second part which does reflect on the above scores.

I have hyper threading enable, high performance mode and cool option on the BIOS. I got Windows 10 install on a second SATA SSD drive and I use that as my baseline:
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.51.50 PM.png

Wanted to point out in case you want the max performance out of your NUC10 :)

I been using this Hackintosh as my daily driver, just awesome little PC. Also I been using different EFIs from all the users that posted here and I found a difference that seems to affect system performance.
When I use the system product name as: MacBookPro16,2 along with a generated serial, reset NVRAM and reboot. I run the Geekbench 5 test and got the following scores:
View attachment 483505
The fan doesn't spin hard during the first half to the test and it starts to spin hard during the second part when the test does its multicore testing.

Now, when I change the system product name to: macmini8,1 along with new generated serial, reset NVRAM and reboot. I run the same test and got higher score:
View attachment 483509
When using the macmini8,1, I notice the 1st part of the test the fan does spin hard along with the second part which does reflect on the above scores.

I have hyper threading enable, high performance mode and cool option on the BIOS. I got Windows 10 install on a second SATA SSD drive and I use that as my baseline:
View attachment 483510

Wanted to point out in case you want the max performance out of your NUC10 :)
That’s cool, I do wonder why there would be a difference. I’m also wondering when we ditch CPU emulation what if any difference that makes.

Just wondering, is there a way to read fan speed on the NUC, from inside macOS ?
I'm currently using Intel Power Gadget to get power-related data (temps, power, CPU %) and it's great, but I would love having an eye on the fan speed.

edit: tried both powermetrics CLI and Macs Fan Control, nothing.

Last edited:
Just wondering, is there a way to read fan speed on the NUC, from inside macOS ?
I'm currently using Intel Power Gadget to get power-related data (temps, power, CPU %) and it's great, but I would love having an eye on the fan speed.

edit: tried both powermetrics CLI and Macs Fan Control, nothing.
This may work

nope, it just displays an average CPU temperature. Nothing more.

nope, it just displays an average CPU temperature. Nothing more.
It works on my main machine, I didn't check if it was accurate, but it shows the case fans rpm. Not the Cpu fan though. Didn't try it on my NUC but not surprised it didn't work.

Has anyone got their SD card reader working in MacOS ? If so, any suggestions for how I can get it working on the i5? It's one of the last things on my list to tick off functionality wise.

hi guys. one question open core related. how can I add boot-args like -v etc at the opencore menu before loading Mac OS? it was easy with clover, I can't find the option in the open core menu at boot. thank you

by the way, I'm having trouble with rear usb3.0 with my usb3 pci express ssd. are yours rear usb3 working perfectly?

Last edited:
Has anyone got their SD card reader working in MacOS ? If so, any suggestions for how I can get it working on the i5? It's one of the last things on my list to tick off functionality wise.

Intel's site with driver downloads says it's a Genesys Logic controller. If it's the USB type, you probably can get it to work. If it's PCI-e, I don't think there's any driver for that. They appear to make both types. Try checking the PCI-e list in Hackintool.

Back