Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Lilu.kext should be first in the list in your config.plist
Thanks it works. Now, how to make Thunderbolt work for display output? Do I need to flash the MOD firmware ? @Feartech

Last edited:
curious - Does anybody alive here? :)

I was running my NUC10 for a quite long time in a good state following all OS upgrades till the latest 12.5 until I moved to BIOS 0057 that also updated EC & ME firmware (update was longer than usual).

These have brought me to the following:
1st - the CFG lock doesn't work - I got known of this with the help of https://github.com/hackintosh-efi/intel-nuc10
2nd - no luck with Monterey boot when thunderbolt enabled in BIOS, I stuck around here (2nd second after EXITBS):
IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1977.jpg

I've already done:
- BIOS recovery to 0052 (the earliest what I could find for recovery package) - like posted here and at other places - recovery does work but EC & ME firmware don't change
- Several amendments of my EFI, aligning with latest OpenCore 0.8.2 & 0.8.3
- Used 3rd party EFI that appears to work like here

So no luck so far... If somebody wants to update BIOS to 0057 please be careful - probably my case is unique somehow but the troubles are reported

I can't find any info how to recover EC & ME firmware - it doesn't change with BIOS recovery (tried 0052, 0055, 0056 & 0057) - EC & ME versions are always the same as was updated during 0057

IMG_1993.jpg

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:
I am using the 3rd party EFI you referenced. I am still at 0055 bios.

I posted this in the GitHub issues...

For the past 4 releases or so, I have been creating a Boot Flash on 32 Gig Flash drives using your EFI. I have four flash USBs sitting on my desk. I create the flash, copy the EFI, and edit config.plist with my uniqueness. That's what I boot from and normally run from. The flash is plugged into the back of the NUC10i7FNH. I run this machine headless with RealVNC Connect normally. I have a 4K HDMI dummy plugged in.

This time it would not boot all the way through to where VNC could connect to it.

I turned it off and put the previous 0.82 flash in and it would boot and connect.

I turned it off and the 0.83 back in with a monitor connected and it boots as expected.

For some reason it doesn't like the headless operation.

Any thoughts?

Pardon my ignorance, but what are EC and ME firmware. I don't use Thunderbolt.

Dennis

Last edited:
I am using the 3rd party EFI you referenced. I am still at 0055 bios.

I posted this in the GitHub issues...

For the past 4 releases or so, I have been creating a Boot Flash on 32 Gig Flash drives using your EFI. I have four flash USBs sitting on my desk. I create the flash, copy the EFI, and edit config.plist with my uniqueness. That's what I boot from and normally run from. The flash is plugged into the back of the NUC10i7FNH. I run this machine headless with RealVNC Connect normally. I have a 4K HDMI dummy plugged in.

This time it would not boot all the way through to where VNC could connect to it.

I turned it off and put the previous 0.82 flash in and it would boot and connect.

I turned it off and the 0.83 back in with a monitor connected and it boots as expected.

For some reason it doesn't like the headless operation.

Any thoughts?

Dennis
you wouldn't use headless with just intel graphics....

So no luck so far... If somebody wants to update BIOS to 0057 please be careful - probably my case is unique somehow but the troubles are reported

@zavrus

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for how you can recover from your problem.

I'm on BIOS 0056. I update via Windows 11 and the Intel updater web page interface. Luckily I hadn't checked recently. It now offers the 0057 update. Since 0056 seems to be running well for me with both Monterey 12.5 and the public beta 3 of Ventura using OpenCore 0.8.3, I'll just stick with 0056.

I wonder why Intel would change handling of CFG Lock?

Thanks for the warning. I'm glad I saw it before I updated and got into major trouble! Let us know if you find a way to recover.

NUC10 BIOS 0056.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 3 machines that use Intel graphics and all are running RealVNC Connect headless. Works.
What's nice is being able to operate them from anywhere. They are behind an NAT.

The NUC is running the latest Catalina. Has been for two years.

I have 3 machines that use Intel graphics and all are running RealVNC Connect headless. Works.
What's nice is being able to operate them from anywhere. They are behind an NAT.

The NUC is running the latest Catalina. Has been for two years.
with headless, you don't plug any monitor into the intel graphics

You missed my saying I had a 4K HDMI dummy plug installed.
more info here:

Embedded Controller & Management Engine respectively.
You have ACPI table loaded that renames H_EC to EC what MAC OS looks for.
I pretty much sure that some changes in EC causes my hack not to boot.

EC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_controller
ME - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Any thoughts?
Sorry, Denis, no idea, I can't see any 'around-this' changes motioned on whatevergreen.kext page. Maybe to report an issue?

Last edited:
Back