Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

when the computer starts with two monitors, I get a green screen on one monitor and the second one does not start and I have to forcefully shut down the pc if instead I connect the second monitor after it works.
Intel have released an HDMI firmware updater but for Windows. Try that one, it could solve your issue. I made a Windows-USB based installation just for that update, using "Rufus" tool and a Windows 10 ISO, on an external old SSD in an USB3 enclosure. Works pretty well. Search for articles on "How to Run Windows 10 From a USB Drive".

Hi @devildothack are you still using VoodooHDA.kext with your NUC10 i7, mate? Via HDMI?

@pierpaolo2395 is in absolute need for digital audio to work... can you possibly share for him your latest EFI folder?
I remember I had downloaded your 0.6.3 EFI zip and you were using VoodooHDA with layout-id declared as HAAAAA==

@NCMacGuy as you have (or had?) a NUC10 i5, do you still use VoodooHDA too, mate? Your older shared 0.6.2 OC zip (Catalina) had evidence of it, and you used alcid=28 in the Boot Arguments... is it still the case? Via HDMI?

Is anyone else using with recent OpenCore and Big Sur the VoodooHDA.kext approach guys?

@pierpaolo2395 I cannot help you further than this. Please go back to previous pages around December-January and you will find there the ZIPs I am referring to, above.

I stop using VoodooHDA and went back to AppleALC. Originally, I had AppleALC but once in a while, I would have issues with sound distortions...so I move over to VoodooHDA and that fix it.
However, someone posted here that with AppleALC and audio issues, can be easily fix by clearning the NVRAM..I did that and it works every time so I went back to AppleALC.
No, I don't use HDMI..using headphone jack. I haven't tested with HDMI audio.

I finally managed to solve the problem.

now the Thunderbolt is working correctly; the display detects the audio part by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable!

if anyone is available to solve the problem of unrecognized PCI parts ..
I tried your EFI but i cant get the CFGUnlock to find CPUsetup by pagedown, but the Wifi and Audio and SD card are working. I guess perhaps i already got CFG to unlock from previous EFI that i used that has CFGUnlock in the Opencore boot menu?

is there any difference from CFG unlock method from the boot menu by most people compare to your Openshell.efi + RU.efi?

I tried your EFI but i cant get the CFGUnlock to find CPUsetup by pagedown, but the Wifi and Audio and SD card are working. I guess perhaps i already got CFG to unlock from previous EFI that i used that has CFGUnlock in the Opencore boot menu?

is there any difference from CFG unlock method from the boot menu by most people compare to your Openshell.efi + RU.efi?

To start Ru.efi, you have to use the Bios shell by pressing F10 and first enabling it from the BIOS.
you are using a key formatted in fat32

have you tried an eGPU?

To start Ru.efi, you have to use the Bios shell by pressing F10 and first enabling it from the BIOS.
you are using a key formatted in fat32
I realized that too that the openshell option already built in NUC bios so i guess Openshell.efi file is redundant and Openshell bootpicker menu can be removed from your EFI? Should include RU.efi instead.

I'll try it later, if this method can make Big Sur to detect my eGPU then it will be great.

Mmmh.. but on windows does it detect it?
Of course no problem whatsoever in windows. The AMD or Nvidia RTX3060 GPU work fine in Razer Core X and Sonnet Breakaway eGPU. I could even play Cyberpunk2077, AC Valhalla, GTA5, SIM4, Forza with Ultra setttings with this nuc.

Only problem is Big Sur, AMD RX580 is detected in Graphic/ display but under thunderbolt not detected. I wonder how coz some people claim to work on NUC8BEH without flashing thunderbolt chip. I dunno what kinda magic they're using.

BTW: I still couldn't find the CPU Setup in RU.EFI, i pressed page down and up until the menu return, but there is no CPU setup. My suggestion is to remove this procedure due to it's risk and replace it with the good old CFGunlock.efi or remove it altogether since OC 0.6.8 already had it activated if im not mistaken.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well and safe. I am facing recently a sleep-wake problem (Big Sur 11.2.3) that I don't think I had in the past. Not sure if it's related to OpenCore 0.6.8 update, do you still get smooth sleep without immediate wake on the NUC10 Core i7?

When I run this command in Terminal, I get a wake reason "XDCI" but I am not sure how to further investigate or resolve as this is the only thing I have. Power options are good and validated in Hackintool, of course:

Code:
% log show --style syslog --last boot | fgrep "Wake reason"
2021-04-18 15:45:10.225569+0200  localhost powerd[82]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>"  identity: "<private>"
2021-04-18 15:45:33.972700+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI
2021-04-18 15:45:33.972702+0200  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI

Did anyone from you come across this issue? The USB ports are defined in USBPorts.kext with internal USB headers switched off in BIOS (v0050) but I am still not sure which ports to remove from that kext as there's a suspicious activity stemming from HS07 (seems to be TypeC+Switch) that shows "Billboard" as attached device, pointing to the USB-C to DisplayPort cable that I am using.... interestingly enough, I learned that there's a device called USB 2.0 Billboard that is a standard-named device used in USB-C adapters/converters and part of the USB-C specification...

Thanks again, any input or insight is welcome.

Back