Contribute
Register

Intel Network adapters on OS X: Small Tree drivers

Driver identification succeeded (yes).Try to rewire the network
Trying to follow your posts. But I am stuck at this same part. 10.14 Mojave - can it work?

Installed 3 kexts, modified them, "Driver loaded: Yes", but still no network listed in preferences. I am using x299 sage motherboard, with same X550-AT2 chipset for 10gbe.

I succeeded installing 3 kexts for X550-AT2 on my X299 SAGE /10G, OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

The problem is this: I had to install drivers for my video interface card (BMD Declink). It comes with Mac driver installed. It didn't work after restart until I wrote this command:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

After that BMD interface started working after restart, but my ethernet stopped working.

To get ethernet back, I had to do this:
1 - deleted 3 kexts, run kext utility
2 - restart
3 - installed FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX using kext utility (S/L/E)
4 - restart
5 - installed SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext using kext utility (S/L/E)
6 - restart

My 10gbe integrated ethernet is now working again... But seems too fragile. What I did wrong with that command? Can I do something to make this more stable? I had kernel panic because of some wrong bios settings and after restart I lost ethernet again. Had to do whole thing again (what I wrote before 1-6).

@RehabMan Do you have any idea how to fix this behaviour? Thank you in advance.
@liuhongxin1993 ?

@cloudconnected666
Did you manage to finally make the BlackMagicDesign card and X550 working simultaneously ?
What kind of other (the Decklink and GTXs) PCI cards are plugged-in in your system ?
Thanks

Has anyone with an WS X299 Sage 10g or X99-E WS 10G managed to get the X550-AT2 working on mojave? Curious if it works but won't have my 10g board to test for a couple weeks.

Yes, it works. Kinda. With this problem that I described.

This computer stands by my desk for few weeks now because I don't have enough time to finish this build. I will this weekend.

So, for exmaple, I just turned it on to discover that ethernet is not working currently and I am now reinstalling drivers now as described. It will then probably work, but I have to find a way for it to work every time before putting it to use.

Anybody has any idea how to fix this dissappearing?

Update:
So, ethernet stops working as I described. I remove ethernet from network config in preferences.
After I loaded and unloaded SmallTree kext, ethernet re-appeared.
After restart - ethernet is gone (they are visible, but not working as before).
After manually loading SmallTree kext, ethernet doesn't re-appear.
I delete all FakePCIID and SmallTree kexts and run kext utility.
Restart.
Install FakePCIID and FakePCIID IntelGbx and SmallTree kext using Kext Utility.
Restart.
Ethernet working.

... until it stops working again, as it happened today.

Do it is a problem with kext loading order obviously. I will experiment a bit more, but this seems pretty random. If I rebuilt cache now, I would probably lose ethernet again.

UPDATE:
After CUDA update, Ethernet stops working after restart. I had to remove all 3 kexts, restart, run kext utility an install all 3 again. And after restart it is working again as expected. What could be the problem? :(

Last edited:
@cloudconnected666 Just installed my 10G board last night and running into issues. Do I just copy the Kexts to s/l/e with kext utility?https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...mall-tree-drivers.156135/page-22#post-1727490

I’ve tried with the sudo command and with Kext utility and I see the two cards in network preferences (won’t be able to test Ethernet until tonight) but my iMessage/FaceTime does not work. :(

EDIT: got it working and iMessage and facetime is fixed. Will update to mojave soon once I setup the rest of the comp

Last edited:
Updated to mojave and got everything working :) I lost 10g ethernet a few times but just uninstalled the SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext and reinstalled in /L/E with the sudo command and kext utility. Also needed to reset network preferences so an active 10g port is en0 so iMessage/Facetime/hand off and stuff work. Will continue to see what triggers the lost of 10g sometimes

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ld-extended-guide.255082/page-21#post-1827931

Back