Contribute
Register

Intel Network adapters on OS X: Small Tree drivers

Wow, great stuff iodine.
Question: Is this kext patching also needed for the 10Gb driver SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext?
I am expecting my X540-T2's in the mail anytime. Or does this invalid eprom crap only affect the 1Gb driver from SmallTree.
If you have the patch string or a working kext (Sierra 10.12) for me that would be awesome !!

Tnx

@ALL

Or if anyone else has a (maybe older) SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext for Sierra (10.12) that is working with the X540-T2 i would appreciate the kext (pm if needed). It could be that only the most recent drivers have this "extra" check

Tnx

Last edited:
p.s. The clover patch method for the SmallTreeIntel82576 , also works for the current downloadable versions for Sierra which atm is 1.0.14. (which i accidentaly installed under a high sierra install and it works there as well) Its just an other string to replace. So just by eyeballing i found :
Sierra driver 1.0.14
75B87522 > 75B86690
High Sierra Driver 1.2.5

75B87526 > 75B86690

rem: i have the sierra driver in /S/L/E and for high sierra in /L/E as installed by SmallTree installer

Last edited:
Just to confirm . I got my X540-T2 in and only flashed the subsystem id. No patched kext needed , smalltree works straight out of the box there. So guess it is specific to the 1GB kext.
Used the same offsets to flash although te actual original card values for the subsystem id where different (5003) then reported by another user in this thread.
my offsets:
offset ( orig -> new)
0x048e (03 -> 0a) and 0x048f (50 -> 00)

Recently I found an i350 T4 in second-hand market......
Tried the same patch, no luck......
Also tried FakePCIID.kext, no luck as well......

I guess my i350 T2V2 which I bought earlier works just because I flashed the subsystem id in ubuntu.....
I have done the same to my new i350 T4 using the following:
offset 0x16 value 0x0a
offset 0x17 value 0x00
All ports on my i350 T4 work now properly......
Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 10.03.15 PM.png

Recently I found an i350 T4 in second-hand market......
Tried the same patch, no luck......
Also tried FakePCIID.kext, no luck as well......
You do need to do 2 things to get the i350-T4 to work.
My winning combo was
1. find (unique per card) and flash (super simpel to do ) subsystem ID to 0a00 so it is recognised by the driver (fixes messages about invalid vendor-id)
2. hex patch the driver with the clover patching (fixed message about invalid rom).
That should work with the current downloadable drivers for Sierra and High Sierra with the patch strings in my previous post

Then you dont need the FakePCI stuff anymore. All vanilla , which i like the best.

You do need to do 2 things to get the i350-T4 to work.
My winning combo was
1. find (unique per card) and flash (super simpel to do ) subsystem ID to 0a00 so it is recognised by the driver (fixes messages about invalid vendor-id)
2. hex patch the driver with the clover patching (fixed message about invalid rom).
That should work with the current downloadable drivers for Sierra and High Sierra with the patch strings in my previous post

Then you dont need the FakePCI stuff anymore. All vanilla , which i like the best.
I thought binary patch alone will do the job.....but it didn't.
My current build actually doesn't have the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext patched, just has subsystem id flashed to 0x0a00.
I loved this way as well. Vanilla, always the best.

PS FYI to confirm
The X540-T2 dual 10GB card works also flawless inside the OWC HELIOS 3 TB3 enclosure > TB3 to TB2 adapter > Hackintosh Sierra TB2 (on motherboard) + SmallTree Drivers. No diff from direct attached regarding driver compatibility.

Trying to get an Intel X550-AT2 working in 10.13.6. Is this possible?

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Get this message:

Code:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fccb76418b0 [0x7fff94aa0af0]> { URL = "SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.SmallTree.driver.SmallTreeIntel8259x" }
SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext does not authenticate; omitting.
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fccb7409100 [0x7fff94aa0af0]> { URL = "FakePCIID.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID" }
FakePCIID.kext does not authenticate; omitting.
KernelCache ID: 722BEB7FC62FABA001ED7432C851380B

Thank you for your help. Really want to get the 10G LAN working.

Back