Contribute
Register

Intel iGPU with NVIDIA dGPU and HDMI port on dGPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 630 + NVIDIA GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 630 for the iGPU and a NVIDIA GTX 1060 for the dGPU. My laptop's screen is wired to the iGPU, and my HDMI port is wired to my dGPU. My HDMI port allows for GSync if I had a monitor for it.

I've gotten High Sierra running on this laptop and had graphics acceleration going on the iGPU no problem, but my HDMI port doesn't work, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the NVIDIA web driver working properly; I'm also at a bit of a loss as to whether or not this kind of set-up and drivers could work.

Just for clarification, I am not trying to attempt Optimus or GPU switching. I want the iGPU to continue powering the laptop screen, and the dGPU to power the HDMI port. The ability to choose what GPU to render graphics on would be a bonus.

So my questions are:

• Can macOS handle two different GPUs with two outputs?
  • Does macOS have some way of telling applications what GPU to run on?
  • Can I install the latest NVIDIA Web Driver on High Sierra?
  • Can the NVIDIA web driver run on an NVIDIA graphics card that isn't the primary GPU?
  • Does the NVIDIA web driver support mobile NVIDIA chips? My dGPU is specifically (as shown under Linux lspci) NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile]

I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 630 for the iGPU and a NVIDIA GTX 1060 for the dGPU. My laptop's screen is wired to the iGPU, and my HDMI port is wired to my dGPU. My HDMI port allows for GSync if I had a monitor for it.

I've gotten High Sierra running on this laptop and had graphics acceleration going on the iGPU no problem, but my HDMI port doesn't work, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the NVIDIA web driver working properly; I'm also at a bit of a loss as to whether or not this kind of set-up and drivers could work.

Just for clarification, I am not trying to attempt Optimus or GPU switching. I want the iGPU to continue powering the laptop screen, and the dGPU to power the HDMI port. The ability to choose what GPU to render graphics on would be a bonus.

So my questions are:

• Can macOS handle two different GPUs with two outputs?
  • Does macOS have some way of telling applications what GPU to run on?
  • Can I install the latest NVIDIA Web Driver on High Sierra?
  • Can the NVIDIA web driver run on an NVIDIA graphics card that isn't the primary GPU?
  • Does the NVIDIA web driver support mobile NVIDIA chips? My dGPU is specifically (as shown under Linux lspci) NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile]

Check in Windows to be certain your HDMI port is directly connected to the Nvidia controller.

Check in Windows to be certain your HDMI port is directly connected to the Nvidia controller.
It definitely is; the NVIDIA Control Panel shows it is, and if I plug a monitor into the HDMI port and shut my laptop screen, I lose access to the Intel graphics settings and only have access to the NVIDIA control panel. The NV CP also allows me to change monitor settings for the monitor in the HDMI port.

It definitely is; the NVIDIA Control Panel shows it is, and if I plug a monitor into the HDMI port and shut my laptop screen, I lose access to the Intel graphics settings and only have access to the NVIDIA control panel. The NV CP also allows me to change monitor settings for the monitor in the HDMI port.

Try using the Nvidia web drivers.

Try using the Nvidia web drivers.
Would I have to do anything special to get them to work with a non-primary NVIDIA GPU or on High Sierra? I tried in the past to get it installed but it didn't seem to work (would either get a GL lock error on start-up, or just not be detected).

I'm going to re-do my Hackintosh set-up here in a little bit and give this another go.

Would I have to do anything special to get them to work with a non-primary NVIDIA GPU or on High Sierra? I tried in the past to get it installed but it didn't seem to work (would either get a GL lock error on start-up, or just not be detected).

I'm going to re-do my Hackintosh set-up here in a little bit and give this another go.

Make sure you read the appropriate topics regarding how to install/use the Nvidia web drivers.
And you may need to inject some special properties to get it to work.
And they may not work at all... after all, they are for desktop hardware.

I've similar laptop, and my HDMI port doesn't work at all. NVIDIA drivers loaded correcly but card is recognized as NVIDIA Chip Model with 0MB of RAM. I've tried a lot of changes of DSDT and SSDT but nothing changed.
Strange thing is that Clover said in its Graphics Section that I've only 1 graphics card, the intel.
My BIOS is locked and RSA signed so I cannot change primary gpu.

What laptop do you have? I also have this intel 630/GTX 1060 mobile combination on my Acer Predator G3-572.
Any success? For me the card doesn't get recognised at all and I am unable to get it to load, also not with intel stuff disabled. I tried desktop 1060 guides, NVenabler and a few options in the the clover boot menu but no luck so far. Had I known this was poorly supported I wouldn't have bought this, such a great laptop otherwise. Even with no Nvidia I would HDMIto work. No option in my BIOS to disable intel. Perhaps the only option would be for someone to make a BIOS that's support that? I thought clover could inject that but I'm not knowledgable enough on the matter.

Anyone that has this setup with working HDMI or Nvidia please post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back