Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Screen Shot 25.jpg

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/20-2545/index.html?cm_sp=head_nav-_-Black_Friday_Ad

They had that on Shell Shocker at that price not long ago. I'm a little sorry I didn't grab it but my i5-9400F is adequate for the current role it plays.

I saw today that they have the i7-9700K @ $259 w/ code. Tempted again but resisting for the same reason. But it is 8 true cores, overclockable and has an IGPU, which is always handy.

I'm a little sorry I didn't grab it but my i5-9400F is adequate for the current role it plays.
How do your Ivy Bridge and Haswell Core i7s compare with your 9400F performance wise ?

Day to day desktop performance - I can't tell any difference. Just have enough RAM and an SSD and you've got a zippy system. Those old i7s are only now approaching EOL. The i5 is a little better for games on the Windows side.

I completely skipped everything after 4th gen Intel until 8th gen. i7-8700 is in my best gaming rig right now. I just got an Xbox Series X. I couldn't come close to building anything as powerful for $500. Especially in that form factor. So I'm not sure how much PC gaming I'll be doing for awhile. :)

I expect all my computers will be replaced in the next couple of years. AMD is whipping Intel and Apple now has the M1 for excellent laptop performance. In the meantime, those Optiplex Hacks do what I need for Apple compatibility. I recently set up a couple of Optiplex Hacks for my brother. He's stuck with El Capitan running on his 2009 Mac Pro because of incompatibility issues with the software he needs to use every day. Now he can run Catalina for his home desktop needs. Thanks to you for making that so easy!

The i9-9900k is still available for $319.99 @ Newegg. Also there are some combo deals for extra savings on motherboards.

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6GHz CPU Processor - Newegg.com

I went on a major shopping spree this weekend. The deals are currently still available for Cyber Monday. I purchased:

i7-9700K @ $259 and a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming ($139.99). Amazon & Newegg have the CPU at that price.

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz CPU Processor - Newegg.com

i9-10900F @ $364.99 from Amazon

Amazon.com: Intel Core i9-10900F Desktop Processor 10 Cores up to 5.2 GHz Without Processor Graphics LGA 1200 (Intel 400 Series chipset) 65W: Computers & Accessories

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon WiFI @ $229.99 from Amazon

Amazon.com: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon WiFi Gaming Motherboard (ATX, 10th Gen Intel Core, LGA 1200 Socket, DDR4, SLI/CF, Dual M.2 Slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Wi-Fi 6, DP/HDMI, Mystic Light RGB): Computers & Accessories

Apple M1 Mac Mini @ $669 from Amazon

Amazon.com: New Apple Mac Mini with Apple M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage) - Latest Model: Electronics

I expect these will be the last Intel CPUs I buy for a long time, if ever again. The prices blew away anything comparable from AMD, plus they're actually in stock.
The i9-10900F will become my new Windows workstation, replacing my Ryzen 7 2700X.
The i7-9700K w/ Gigabyte mobo will be both a Windows gaming machine and probably my very last Intel Hackintosh.
The M1 Mini will be my always on desktop PC jack of all trades. I try to have at least one real Mac in service.
I'm retiring my 2014 Mac Mini & my i5-9400F Windows PC to good homes (the 2014 Mini is still OK when booting from a USB 3.0 SSD). My Ryzen 7 2700X will be upgraded whenever the Ryzen 7 or 9 3XXXX go on closeout sale. Probably a year from now.
Interesting to me that people are spending $300+ on the Ryzen 5 5600X when it's still just a 6 core chip. I don't care how fast it is single core, it's going to be limited down the road IMO. For $259 I got a 9700K that's just as fast and has 8 real cores.

Interesting to me that people are spending $300+ on the Ryzen 5 5600X when it's still just a 6 core chip. I don't care how fast it is single core, it's going to be limited down the road IMO. For $259 I got a 9700K that's just as fast and has 8 real cores.
How the tables have turned recently. Used to be that AMD chips cost less and Intel was high priced. A 9700K is a deal at $259. Not long ago we paid that for a 4 core i5 CPU.

How the tables have turned recently. Used to be that AMD chips cost less and Intel was high priced. A 9700K is a deal at $259. Not long ago we paid that for a 4 core i5 CPU.
Yes, it seems AMD is standing pat right now. They're King of the Hill, Top of the Heap... or maybe overwhelmed supplying Playstation & Xbox orders, I dunno?
I'm not loyal to any brand, although I've had zero problems with Intel CPUs the last 30, 40 years. AMD CPUs, mobos & GPUs tend to be more finicky in my experience - until the drivers get updated a few times. That said, my current Ryzen 7 has been rock solid for the last year.

BTW, Amazon also has a Micro Center bundle with the 9700K & Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X for $390.99.

Amazon.com: Micro Center GIGABYTE Z390 Gaming X Gaming Motherboard ATX 2xM.2 Realtek ALC892 Intel LAN HDMI Bundle with Intel Core i7-9700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.9 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151: Electronics

Also a bundle option at that link with the Gigabyte Auros Pro Wi-Fi @ 424.99.

Last edited:
The i9-9900K and other Intel CPUs have gone up in price a bit. You can still get a sweet deal on a i9-9900K and a Gigabyte Z390 UD for $429.98.

GIGABYTE Z390 UD LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core i9-9900K Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 (newegg.com)

Best Buy & B&H have some good i9-9900K prices too.

One shocker for me over the Black Friday & Cyber Monday long weekend was the complete lack of AMD deals. I had hoped to buy a Ryzen 7 3900 at a good price on Black Friday and call it all good. Instead I got the Intel "going out of business sale" and jumped all over that. No doubt the latest gen Ryzens are all beasts. Anyone that's lucky enough to find one @ MSRP, should be well satisfied. But right now (bots, scalpers, irrational exuberance?) the AMD CPUs are mostly out of stock. The previous gen Ryzens are way overpriced.

For example: Last year I bought an R7 2700X for $136 new from Amazon on Cyber Monday. This year they were @ $285. Today they're over $300. It's the same middle-of-the-road 8c/16t CPU. It didn't magically get better because AMD finally surpassed Intel. I thought about turning that 2700X into a Ryzentosh but I'm not sure it's worth the bother. My base model M1 Mini scored @ 1730 single core & 7671 multi-core in the latest GeekBench 5.

Newegg still has the BF price of $319.99 for anyone that didn't jump at the chance. 42% off on the most popular Intel CPU of 2019/20 is revolutionary. I've never seen that steep of a discount. Just three years ago the quad core i7s sold at this price. We can thank AMD's competition for those 4 extra cores thrown in for free.

Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back