Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi All,
I'm planning to upgrade my system with a new ATX motherboard and new intel i7-9700k or i9-9900k cpu, No or low turbo/overclocking use for the moment: which air cooler would be optimal for this type of use?
The motherboard will be mounted vertically in a mid tower case, can the weight of the air cooler be a problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Any name brand motherboard and case should be able to support a large air cooler. The main thing is, will it be able to cool that 8 core CPU adequately? Make sure you buy a case will good airflow and fans that move some air.

Planning to no overclocking use for now, i'm thinking to a Fractal Design C TG case with three frontal fans and one back. What do you think about?

Planning to no overclocking use for now, i'm thinking to a Fractal Design C TG case with three frontal fans and one back. What do you think about?
Sounds good. Look at either a BeQuiet Darkrock Pro or a large Noctua Air Cooler like the NH-D15.

Hi All,
I'm planning to upgrade my system with a new ATX motherboard and new intel i7-9700k or i9-9900k cpu, No or low turbo/overclocking use for the moment: which air cooler would be optimal for this type of use?
The motherboard will be mounted vertically in a mid tower case, can the weight of the air cooler be a problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0154AXB4C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

These coolers provide almost liquid cooling performance but Im unsure if they will fit in your case as they are quite large, so I would recommend doing some research on that.

I have the H7 myself and it keeps my i5-6500 under 35-40C during max load in a full ATX Corsair Graphite 780T case (lol, yep, 35-40C) and 25-30C while idling in a room temperature of about 21C. I went with arctic silver 5 thermal compound instead of using the thermal compound that came with the cooler, but apparently there are better compounds available (which I had no idea about when I bought the artic silver 5 thermal compound) ;3

www.youtu.be/a4UmhUjpguw?t=319 (The arctic silver 5 supposedly performs about the same as the arctic MX.2)

Last edited:
Cryorig H5 Ultimate and Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi have the same TDP (160 according to the Cryorig website) but they have different dimensions and weight: this means that they are both suitable for the i9-9900k CPU (avoiding overclocking)?
In general can a more compact 120mm Air cooler (i.e. Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi, Noctua NH U12S, Scythe Mugen Rev. B or other) in these conditions be suitable?
In this regard the NOCTUA CPU compatibility list for Intel i9-9900K allows the possibility of using the U12S and even the U9S models but suggesting power maximum limit values, respectively, of 205W and 195W.
Can these guidelines be used in this case?

Last edited:
I second the recommendation by @trs96, just get a Dark Rock Pro 4 or a NH-D15. They offer incredible cooling performance and are almost inaudible unless you tax your system a lot (provided there is a good airflow in the case). I am using the Dark Rock Pro 4, it's awesome. These coolers are heavy but vertical mount is totally standard. This is why they come with solid mounting plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back