Contribute
Register

Intel i5-8400 using UHD 630 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... For the time being, I have screwed the pooch with this install. I tried another platform id... And, much to my horror, I have learned that you cannot open the EFI folder in safe mode!

It refuses to boot in normal mode. Always stopping at:

Code:
DSMOS has arrived
busy timeout[0]. (60s): 'IGPU'

I had assumed I would be able to retrive it if I could boot from safe mode.
OH! Fortunately, I just realized that I uploaded the last version above.

Ok... For the time being, I have screwed the pooch with this install. I tried another platform id... And, much to my horror, I have learned that you cannot open the EFI folder in safe mode!

Code:
DSMOS has arrived

I had assumed I would be able to retrive it if I could boot from safe mode.
OH! Fortunately, I just realized that I uploaded the last version above.
If you can boot from the USB flash disk and, at Clover menu, choose the normal Mojave internal disk, then please try the config.plist from my previous post (Post #10).

OK... I panicked... I will try that and then try the plist you uploaded.

Here is where I am at now.

For whatever reason, my original boot USB would NOT boot the system. not even in Safe Mode. Didn't see that coming.

So, I moved the USB stick to my other hack, saved the config.plist and loaded the plist you uploaded.

Boot freezes at

Code:
busy timeout[0], (60s): 'IGPU'

I tried booting many times. And, then just let it sit there for several minutes before finally shutting it down.

Honestly, this is the same freezing point I got while trying to boot with the original USB and the SSDs EFI. This system always seems to return to this situation whenever I try to work on something. But, usually, I can get into safe mode at least. Not tonight.
So, I went back and re-checked my BIOS settings. They were/are set according to the guide.

I am at a wall. Any suggestions

Last edited:
thank you again...

Ok... For the time being, I have screwed the pooch with this install. I tried another platform id... And, much to my horror, I have learned that you cannot mount the EFI folder in safe mode!?! Did NOT know that.

Code:
DSMOS has arrived

Fortunately, I just realized that I uploaded the last version above.

That version of my EFI - in the first message is the last known bootable version.

It looks as if I am going to need to reinstall MacOS to get back to where I was.

I will be back as soon as I can get a re-install done.
You should be able to boot from USB disk! At BIOS screen, press the proper function key to select boot drive and choose USB. Then at Clover screen, choose standard Mojave internal disk to boot from.

I think changing the SMBIOS to 18,1 did the trick for stabilizing the video. But, now cannot get full HD resolution. Is it because the profile is for a 21 inch iMac and Not a 27" Retina? how do I get the full UHD rez from this setup?

@HackinMax,

The iMac18,1 SMBIOS is a special case as those iMac Models do not have a dGPU just a Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 as such iMac 18,1 should generally be avoided for hackingtosh systems even when just using a IGPU .... in the past most users with KBL/CFL CPU are using iMac18,3 SMBIOS.

However with the introduction of the new MacMini you might want to try using MacMini 8,1 SMBIOS which is for Coffee Lake CPU

In most instances Installing Lilu and WhatEverGreen and injecting the correct PlatformID Device properties :-

AAPL,ig-platform-id = 3E9B0007
device-id = 9B3E0000

Code:
ID: 3E9B0007, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00801302
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
GPU Name: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Model Name(s):
Camelia: Disabled
Mobile: 0, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
01050900 00040000 C7030000
02040A00 00040000 C7030000
03060800 00040000 C7030000

As far as I can tell this is the only valid PlatformID for UHD 630 IGPU on Desktop Class Mac, all other UHD 630 PlatformID's are for MacBook (Laptop Class) systems or other IGPU.

As you can see from above PlatformID data dump all three ports are DP, so if your using something like HDMI2.0 then you will need to manually patch the frame buffer connector info, add the HDMI2.0 patch and as your driving 4K display you should apply the the -cdfon boot argument and 2GB VRAM patches.

See the Lilu + Plug-in's guide for information and guidance ..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Be sure to follow the guide carefully, install kexts in the correct location, remove ALL clover IGPU values and flags ..etc

As detailed in that guide use CaseySJ guide for patching the framebuffer ports and connectors :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hdmi-black-screen-problem.269149/post-1885420

Cheers
Jay

@HackinMax,

The iMac18,1 SMBIOS is a special case as those iMac Models do not have a dGPU just a Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 as such iMac 18,1 should generally be avoided for hackingtosh systems even when just using a IGPU .... in the past most users with KBL/CFL CPU are using iMac18,3 SMBIOS.

However with the introduction of the new MacMini you might want to try using MacMini 8,1 SMBIOS which is for Coffee Lake CPU

In most instances Installing Lilu and WhatEverGreen and injecting the correct PlatformID Device properties :-

AAPL,ig-platform-id = 3E9B0007
device-id = 9B3E0000

Code:
ID: 3E9B0007, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00801302
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
GPU Name: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Model Name(s):
Camelia: Disabled
Mobile: 0, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - DP
01050900 00040000 C7030000
02040A00 00040000 C7030000
03060800 00040000 C7030000

As far as I can tell this is the only valid PlatformID for UHD 630 IGPU on Desktop Class Mac, all other UHD 630 PlatformID's are for MacBook (Laptop Class) systems or other IGPU.

As you can see from above PlatformID data dump all three ports are DP, so if your using something like HDMI2.0 then you will need to manually patch the frame buffer connector info, add the HDMI2.0 patch and as your driving 4K display you should apply the the -cdfon boot argument and 2GB VRAM patches.

See the Lilu + Plug-in's guide for information and guidance ..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Be sure to follow the guide carefully, install kexts in the correct location, remove ALL clover IGPU values and flags ..etc

As detailed in that guide use CaseySJ guide for patching the framebuffer ports and connectors :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hdmi-black-screen-problem.269149/post-1885420

Cheers
Jay

OK. Thank you for your patience.

I am going to carefully sort this... And, will report back when I have either a working system or a clearer understanding of what I am attempting.

Last edited:
OK. Thank you for your patience.

I am going to carefully sort this... And, will report back when I have either a working system or a clearer understanding of what I am attempting.
You were very close to finishing. Because your DisplayPort output works, please use that throughout the installation and debug process. In Post #9 you said:
3A - When connected only by DP (hard reset), the "About" window shows the same (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB)

This is very good -- the About box should say "Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB".

So don't worry about scaled video or getting 4K UHD.

As soon as you can boot Mojave again with DisplayPort, then connect the HDMI cable to any monitor capable of HDMI. (Again, keep DisplayPort cable plugged in at all times.)

Then run Intel FB-Patcher, click top menu bar and choose "Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14 (18A391)". And then click on "Connectors" page and select "Platform ID" = 0x3E9B0007. One or two of the lines should be highlighted in red automatically.
Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.41.53 AM.png
Take a screenshot of this (CMD-SHIFT-5) and upload. Then we can figure out the rest.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ and @jaymonkey

Again, thank you for your assistance thus far.
While I am not giving up, this has gotten WAY over my head really quickly. I was lulled into a false sense of ease when my first hack went so smoothly... with a LOT of help from @jb007 (Man! I do love this machine! It's what an entry level mac pro SHOULD be)

This MiniZee though is a nightmare... or learning experience, depending upon when you ask me.

I cannot boot into my system in normal mode, no matter what SMB I try, or what platform ID/device-id combination I enter. It always hangs at the same place...

Code:
PTID Sensors: started
kextd stall[0], (60s): "X86PlatformPlugin', 'IGPU', 'IOResources'
kextd stall[1], (60s): "X86PlatformPlugin', 'IGPU', 'IOResources'
kextd stall[2], (60s): "X86PlatformPlugin', 'IGPU', 'IOResources'
IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

... Then nothing. This is, I assume where the IGPU initialization is being attempted. Each one of these lines takes at least a minute to display.

For the life of me, I cannot get clover to give me a boot log file to submit.

I have attached my current EFI. It attempts to use the MacMini8,1 as suggested by @jaymonkey. I suspect my ignorance for causing this. But, I just can't seem to get smart... fast enough.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 89
You were very close to finishing. Because your DisplayPort output works, please use that throughout the installation and debug process. In Post #9 you said:

This is very good -- the About box should say "Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB".

So don't worry about scaled video or getting 4K UHD.

As soon as you can boot Mojave again with DisplayPort, then connect the HDMI cable to any monitor capable of HDMI. (Again, keep DisplayPort cable plugged in at all times.)

Then run Intel FB-Patcher, click top menu bar and choose "Framebuffer --> MacOS 10.14 (18A391)". And then click on "Connectors" page and select "Platform ID" = 0x3E9B0007. One or two of the lines should be highlighted in red automatically.
View attachment 378586
Take a screenshot of this (CMD-SHIFT-5) and upload. Then we can figure out the rest.

Cheers!
I will get on this first thing in the morning. (It is midnight here)

Hi @HackinMax. I have not been on the forum much and are just of to work, but quickly what @jaymonkey says goes.

I had my main hack running as a macMini8,1 using whatever green and Lilu on the UHD 630 as it's supported by it. I was using it with my eGPU and thunderbolt trying out things. Had no issues with graphics. Did not have to put in a ig-platform-id. Just worked! iMac18,3 doesn't support iGPU UHD 630 except in headless from my experience. Sorry got to dash, will be back by around 11:30 am your time.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back