Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Intel HD4600 Graphics Glitches (OpenCore 0.6.3 + WhateverGreen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 3020 SSF - H81 Chipset
CPU
i5-4590S
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

First of all, I want to mention, that I'm a beginner in the Hackintosh topic, so if I ask dumb things, or have misinformations about some topics, please feel free to correct me, and my apologies.

So, a few weeks ago, I've got my hands on a Dell Optiplex 3020 SSF, for a ridiculously low price. Since I had no better idea to make a use of it, I've decided to make it a Hackintosh machine.

Originally, the Machine came with a i3-4150, which had Intel HD4400, and it worked fine, but I had some issues, like preview freezing with large images, or GarageBand freezed up the whole machine, when I opened a dropdown menu. According to my research, these issues were caused by the iGPU, as it was never supported.

So, a few days later, I've picked up a second hand i5-4590S (the machine's cooling solution has a thermal limit of 65W) and the CPU swap went perfectly, I have no longer issues with preview, GarageBand, etc. Also I've upgraded RAM, (with the i3-4150 CPU for two weeks) although I wasn't able to buy the exactly same Hynix RAM stick. Lucky, they seem to work together. (One stick is a HMT451U6AFR8C-PB, the other stick is a HMT451U6BFR8C-PB)

However, I've got new graphics glitches, and they're more annoying than the issues were with the HD4400. When I open a right-click context menu, and I go to a dropdown list, the cursor starts indicating a loading, and than the menu dissapears. Sometimes it will load, but the menu will be frozen. Sometimes it will start flashing. Sometimes, Safari does the exact same loading thing, and then I get random black boxes in the pages. Safari does not need to open a context menu to behave like this, enough if you click into an another window. Xcode plist editor can hang up on opening dropdown lists. Sometimes windows start flashing.

I've been experimenting with multiple framebuffer configurations, according to WheneverGreen's Intel HD guide, but I had no luck with it, no other AAPL,ig-platform-id setting worked for me than 0300220D . Other framebuffer configs showed me 7MB VRAM. Also, I've played a lot with framebuffer-fbmem, and framebuffer-stolenmem options, none of them seemed to help me out.

I've setted the DVMT prealloc to 64MB in the BIOS. I have disabled CFG lock lock too. (Keep in mind, this feature is hidden in the Dell BIOS, so I had to tweak these parameters via modGrubShell.efi, by modifying NVRAM variables.) I also disabled VT-d in the BIOS too.

What could go wrong here? I'm out of ideas. I suspected the RAM too, but I had no issues like this with the i3-4150 CPU, using the same RAM configuration, so I don't think so.

I've included my config.plist. (OFC, with removed serials.) Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• config.plist
    24.3 KB · Views: 611
PS: current specs list:
Dell Optiplex 3020 SSF
Intel i5-4590S (Intel HD 4600)
8 GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Seagate SSHD
Spoofed as an iMac 15,1

Updated. Sorry I’m pretty new here.
I have disabled CFG lock lock too. (Keep in mind, this feature is hidden in the Dell BIOS, so I had to tweak these parameters via modGrubShell.efi

To remove the CFG lock. Did you use this value ? CFG lock, Variable: 0xD9E 0x0 (for the A17 BIOS version)

The variable is different from the 7020/9020 guides for the A18/A25 BIOS. You can find this by extracting the BIOS and then searching for it. If you use the guide I posted it's not going to work for the 3020 Dell Optiplex.

Nicksoph has written a guide showing how to extract your BIOS to find the Variable for your BIOS version.

It's the same (as the 7020/9020) for DVMT Pre-Allocation 0x263 0x2 to increase it to 64MB from 32.

Last edited:
To remove the CFG lock. Did you use this value ? CFG lock, Variable: 0xD9E 0x0

The variable is different from the 7020/9020 guides for the A18/A25 BIOS. You can find this by extracting the BIOS and then searching for it. If you use the guide I posted it's not going to work for the 3020 Dell Optiplex.

It's the same for DVMT Pre-Allocation 0x263 0x2 to increase it to 64MB from 32.
Ughhh, I used the 7020/9020 variable to remove the CFG lock.

Also, my computer was not able to boot without the Kernel > Quirks > AppleCpuPmCfgLock, and AppleXcpmCfgLock values setted to true. So now I know why.

Probably the smartest thing to do is to reset the moterboard by shorting the RTCST jumper, as well as taking out the CMOS battery. I feel bad about that random variable I’ve just modified, and probably messed up.

BTW, can you explain me what that CFG lock is responsible for? Can it mess up graphics this way? Maybe I’ll get a better understanding of the situation.

So now, I’ll reset these settings, start from scratch now with the proper variables, and I disable the mentioned Quirks. I will write how it went.

To remove the CFG lock. Did you use this value ? CFG lock, Variable: 0xD9E 0x0

Nicksoph has written a guide showing how to extract your BIOS to find the Variable for your BIOS version.

It's the same (as the 7020/9020) for DVMT Pre-Allocation 0x263 0x2 to increase it to 64MB from 32.
BTW, the variables to enable ECHI handoff are the same?
Sadly, I hadn’t found any english guides for Catalina 3020, only for 7020/9020, and I assumed these variables to be the same, these machines are really similar.

I assumed these variables to be the same, these machines are really similar.
In hackintoshing you can't assume anything. The 3020 uses the H81 chipset and the 7020/9020 uses Q87. Those are very different. That's why I didn't include the 3020 in the titles of any guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back