Contribute
Register

Intel HD4400 display issues in High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 7000 Series 7537 (Clover, UEFI)
CPU
i7-4500U Processor (Intel® HM76 Express Chipset)
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (+ NVIDIA GT 750M, Optimus GPU)
UPDATE (03/10/2017): I switched back to Sierra for now, will try this again and update the thread in a few months.

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a few display issues with my Intel HD Graphics 4400 on High Sierra (17A365). I did not
experience any of these issues in macOS Sierra, it seems to be specifically in High Sierra.

So for starters, whenever I boot up macOS with only the internal display my screen turns black after a few seconds.
When I close the lid for about 3 seconds and I open it back up that issue seems to go away.
I keep running into some photos not being rendered properly and screen flickering.

Here is a list of issues I am facing with High Sierra.
  • Garbled screen on boot with integrated display
  • Screen size issue with external display
  • High Sierra is now using 24 bit colors instead of 32 bit as before
  • Screen flickering in certain apps (on internal display and external displays)
  • Booting with the intergraded display causes my screen to go black after a few seconds (only if UEFI + CSM is set)

I've attached my latest files to this post. Thanks for reading.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm experiencing a few display issues with my Intel HD Graphics 4400 on High Sierra (17A365). I did not
experience any of these issues in macOS Sierra, it seems to be specifically in High Sierra.

So for starters, whenever I boot up macOS with only the internal display I keep getting a garbled screen
just like Dragster27 had in his post. When I close the lid for about 3 seconds and I open it back up that
issue seems to go away. Yet, I keep running into some photos not being rendered properly and screen flickering.

Now, when I boot the computer using HDMI (with the lid closed) I don't have the "garbled screen" issue,
but something else. My external monitor (which is using a resolution from 2560 x 1080) is now using my internal display's resolution: 1920 x 1080. The aspect ratios should be different like in Sierra. Yet, they are both using the 16:9 aspect ratio.

So long story short, here is a list of issues I am facing with High Sierra.
  • Garbled screen on boot with integrated display
  • Screen size issue with external display
  • High Sierra is now using 24 bit colors instead of 32 bit as before

I've attached my files to this thread. Thanks for reading.
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Is legacy boot/CSM enabled in BIOS?
Your ioreg shows backlight control not implemented correctly.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Is legacy boot/CSM enabled in BIOS?
Your ioreg shows backlight control not implemented correctly.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Thanks for your reply! :) Legacy boot/CSM is not enabled in my BIOS. I'm only using UEFI.
I did have IntelBacklight.kext in S/L/E installed, in combination with AddPNLF_1000000 (in clover)
and Brightness fix (Haswell/broadwell) in SSDT.

If I read your post correctly, all of these should be removed right?

Thanks for your reply! :) Legacy boot/CSM is not enabled in my BIOS.

As per Clover laptop guide, enable legacy boot/CSM.

I did have IntelBacklight.kext in S/L/E installed, in combination with AddPNLF_1000000 (in clover)
and Brightness fix (Haswell/broadwell) in SSDT.

All wrong.

Enabling Legacy/CSM fixed my screen size issue :)

I'm now going to re-do my DSDT/SSDT and configure AppleBacklightInjector. I'll keep the thread updated.

Last edited:
Enabling Legacy/CSM fixed my screen size issue :)

I'm now going to re-do my DSDT/SSDT and configure AppleBacklightInjector. I'll keep the thread updated.

Glad to know your screen size issue is solved... that doesn´t happen here as both my laptop display and the external display are 1080p...

Will keep following this thread as I am still having the ´garbled´ screen issue at boot in the laptop display...

BTW, in order to quickly get rid of the ´garbled´screen at boot issue you can lock the computer wait a couple of seconds for the screen to turn black and after hitting a key again the display will show up ok. (Use the hotkey for the new ´lock computer´ menu entry).

Cheers,
D.

Last edited:
Will keep following this thread as I am still having the ´garbled´ screen issue at boot in the laptop display...

BTW, in order to quickly get rid of the ´garbled´screen at boot issue you can lock the computer wait a couple of seconds for the screen to turn black and after hitting a key again the display will show up ok. (Use the hotkey for the new ´lock computer´ menu entry).

Did you enable legacy boot/CSM in BIOS?

Glad to know your screen size issue is solved... that doesn´t happen here as both my laptop display and the external display are 1080p...

Cheers,
D.

Hey! Thanks for your friendly reply. I'll keep your tip in mind. I got rid of the "garbled" screen at boot by enabling legacy/CSM support in my BIOS. Not everything is fixed though, basicly whenever the Intel GFX drivers load, instead of garbling, my screen basicly turns black; the only way to get past that is by closing and re-opening the lid. I am still experiencing screen flickers whenever I open certain apps, and my graphics card is still using 24 bit instead of 32 bit colors.

Thanks, I have done what you recommended. My screen size issue is now fixed by enabling legacy/CSM.
Also, I have fixed the brightness issue by following your guide. Not everything has been fixed however.
The thing is though that upon boot, when my graphics get intialized, my screen turns black.
I have no idea what is causing that issue, this only happens in legacy/CSM.

I've attached my new files to this message. Thanks for your help so far!

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    31.3 KB · Views: 212
  • EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 282
  • 58418fb5fa9e.ioreg
    3.5 MB · Views: 277
  • terminal.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 362
  • verbose.zip
    12 MB · Views: 172
Thanks, I have done what you recommended. My screen size issue is now fixed by enabling legacy/CSM.
Also, I have fixed the brightness issue by following your guide. Not everything has been fixed however.
The thing is though that upon boot, when my graphics get intialized, my screen turns black.
I have no idea what is causing that issue, this only happens in legacy/CSM.

I've attached my new files to this message. Thanks for your help so far!

Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
Remove from config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes:
FixRegions_10000000
FixDisplay_0100
AddHDMI_8000000
FixUSB_1000

And you should have the following SSDTs (appropriately patched) from ACPI/origin in ACPI/patched:
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-3.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Also remove from config.plist/Devices:
SetIntelBacklight
UseIntelHDMI

And from config.plist/ACPI/DropTables:
entry corresponding to Cpu0Ist and CpuPm

Also, all kexts should be installed to the system volume, and config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect.

Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
Remove from config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes:
FixRegions_10000000
FixDisplay_0100
AddHDMI_8000000
FixUSB_1000

And you should have the following SSDTs (appropriately patched) from ACPI/origin in ACPI/patched:
SSDT-0.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml
SSDT-3.aml
SSDT-7.aml
SSDT-8.aml
SSDT-9.aml

Also remove from config.plist/Devices:
SetIntelBacklight
UseIntelHDMI

And from config.plist/ACPI/DropTables:
entry corresponding to Cpu0Ist and CpuPm

Also, all kexts should be installed to the system volume, and config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect.

Hey RehabMan, thanks for all your help so far. My laptop seems to preform a lot better ever since I've updated my configuration.
My Intel GFX HD4400 still seems to have that 24 bit color issue in High Sierra. For now, I've switched back to Sierra (16G1023). My new configuration seems to work great over there. Backlight control, native audio (+ HDMI), and ever since I fully disabled the NVIDIA Optimus GPU (in order for High Sierra to boot) everything seems to be running much better. Sierra is stable for me, I will wait a few months until I'll try High Sierra again. But for now, Sierra (10.12) is good enough, thanks to your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back